Who runs a 20wt here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought 12 qts of GTX 5W-20 for $.80/qt. It's in the Camry. Back to 10w-30 after that is gone. If the engine doesn't seize.
grin2.gif

There is some logic in running 10w30 from May 15 to October 15, and 0w20 the rest of the year (cool-cold months), in an engine spec'ed for 0w20 or 5w20 or even 5w30.

In my leased '18 Equinox turbo 1.5L, GM says to use dexos1 0w20, so that's what is always used. Doubt I'd have any problem.
thumbsup2.gif

Absolutely no issues with 0W-20 in either Mazda. Runs perfectly, good wear numbers, and I actually get better fuel economy than when I tried 5w30.

Originally Posted by HangFire
Careful, throw out solid facts like that, and you'll be labeled a "thinnie"!

I'm happy to be a Thickie but show me hard evidence that proves it's better than being a Thinny which is supposedly prematurely reducing engine lifespans by X amount of miles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by hatt
I bought 12 qts of GTX 5W-20 for $.80/qt. It's in the Camry. Back to 10w-30 after that is gone. If the engine doesn't seize.
grin2.gif

Oh, no! That engine will surely be ruuuuuuuuuuuined!

Since when are $20 UOA regarded as facts when it comes to long term engine wear?

Originally Posted by hatt

Since when are $20 UOA regarded as facts when it comes to long term engine wear?

Fo Evah???
crackmeup2.gif

Well I didn't be it interesting that the one run it was 4 qts of oil needed. Then 3 qts needed. But before then it was 0 qts needed... Maybe it isn't so good in this circumstance.

Originally Posted by bbhero
Well I didn't be it interesting that the one run it was 4 qts of oil needed. Then 3 qts needed. But before then it was 0 qts needed... Maybe it isn't so good in this circumstance.

It's Bypass filtration of the same oil and when you change the filters you have to top off the system. The whole system usually holds with the oil pan in the vehicle like 12 quarts but look at the miles run and look at the mileage on the vehicle itself. It's really high. Even with the make-up oil it's still great.

Of course I saw the miles...

Still....4 qts and 3 qts... And the one before that was zero... That significant. And that one run with 0.... It was long as well 15k miles. Not like a 5k or 8k mile run.

Something is way off there...

Last edited:
Just changed out the oil on my Acura in signature. Calls for 5W20 in the manual & on the oil fill cap. Thats what it gets except this round I went with Pennzoil Platinum Pure Plus 0W20 4 quarts & .5 quart of 5W20 Pennzoil Ultra Pure Plus. Absolutely luvs 20 weight oils.

Still....4 qts and 3 qts... And the one before that was zero... That significant. And that one run with 0.... It was long as well 15k miles. Not like a 5k or 8k mile run.

The first one was probably fresh oil and he ran 15K miles before sampling and changing the by-pass filter which is required yearly.

But even at 15K miles the numbers are excellent on a 20wt "Thin" oil.

Last edited:
My current car (see below) subsisted on the manufacturer's recommended 0W-20 (mostly TGMO, plus one change of RK and one of PP) until switched to PP 5W-20 for the past 2½ oil intervals. I made that change not out of fear 0W-20 is "too thin" for conditions, but in hope the lower volatility and lower VII loading of 5W-20 might reduce the risk of ring coking. Conditions are generally benign, other than the frequent hot starts, and some long hills to climb. No hint of any engine issue, so far.

My Mazda (also below) went over 600k miles on mostly 10W-40 with no signs of engine wear (although it had other engine issues!).

Originally Posted by StevieC

The first one was probably fresh oil and he ran 15K miles before sampling and changing the by-pass filter which is required yearly.

But even at 15K miles the numbers are excellent on a 20wt "Thin" oil.

Weird how the oil ended up being a 30. 7 qts of makeup oil also seems like a lot for 25k. There is a lot going on in that UOA.

Is that vehicle burning or leaking that much oil??? Of it's burning... That is not good. Leaking isn't great either..

The bypass filters hold a lot of oil and it gets changed with it. Look at the first 15K miles, that there proves what I was getting at.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back