Opinion needed....

Status
Not open for further replies.
The place I work is fairly relaxed and is one of the things I like about working there but I was wondering what you all think about this.

The let you bring your kids into to sell things for what ever cause they have, girl/boy scouts etc... while we're at our desks working. I was talking with a couple other guys and they agree that it is just wrong and that we feel trapped.

With that being said I don't want to come off bad, my wife and I give several hundred dollars a year to the local humane society and alway buy stuff from the neighbors kids when they come around. We also use to donate our time to deliver turkeys on thanksgiving morning to poor folks so it's not like I'm against these types of fund raisers.

Just wondering if I was out of line as lately I just been saying "no thanks".

Jeff Bingham on "Rules Of Engagement" episode... stand up in his office ...Alright everybody listen up ...I'm not buying any of your kids Kkrrap so knock it off. ...Classic

A few of my coworkers know many crave Girl Scout cookies and, instead of going around, they simply let everyone know that the form will be on his desk, to fill out whenever we want. These guys are pretty laid back about it and still seem to do well for their kids. This is pretty much it, though, outside of retirement stuff and sick stuff.

Luckily, no one brings in junk to subscribe to or purchase for whatever holiday.

Also, I'm a popcorn and chip fiend! My ONLY weaknesses...ahem...It really is too bad that Boy Scout popcorn is as bad as it is. For some reason, it tastes so much worse than the cheapest store-bran variant. While GS cookies aren't quite as tasty as I remember from decades past, they're still tasty enough to buy a few boxes of, to suppprt the coworkers kid. I'll take a different store exit to avoid the Boy Scouts!

They do that where I work. I don't buy any of it and don't feel pressured to do so. They just pass the catalog/sign up sheet or whatever around and I pass it to the next person. Why is this a big deal?

Just like the cashiers asking if you'd like to donate. I've been in retail, they have to do it. They don't want to ask anymore than you want to be asked. A simple "no" is fine.

I don't buy and I don't bring things in from my organizations to sell.

Only ran into a little flack from one coworker, and I ended that quickly as one organization I belonged to happened to have a raffle going on at the same time she wanted me to buy her daycare's cookie dough so I said that I'd buy from her if she'd buy one of the $50 tickets for my raffle. Discussion ended and never happened again.
lol.gif

Originally Posted by fenixguy
They do that where I work. I don't buy any of it and don't feel pressured to do so. They just pass the catalog/sign up sheet or whatever around and I pass it to the next person. Why is this a big deal?

There are a couple of them that put a sign up sheet in the break room and send out an all shop email and let us know, I have no problem with that and do buy GS cookies sometimes but what I'm talking about is they walk around with their kid and go to every ones desk and stand there a look at you.

A couple weeks ago I heard them coming around so I put on my headset and acted like I was talking to a customer.

I don't appreciate being ambushed in that manner. Placing something in the break room, soliciting donations is one thing. Going desk-to-desk is on another level.

I had this at a job but from other employees coming around looking for donations for a third party charity. Only a few bucks each time. At first I was kind off taken off guard but then became used to it. Esp when one of the ladies coming around was super hot. Happened about once per week. If a horrific event happened you could count on someone coming around collecting for it to help out. If we donated we could wear jeans on Friday. So kind of a side benefit for us.

Originally Posted by DONWATERS
Ask them for contributions to the Human Fund.

I've heard they've been running at a deficit for years! Shameful!

I try not eat that stuff. It weird they let them do that. I hate saying no, but I usually do or donate a few bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back