Valve issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been having to adjust my intake valves in my bike too often lately, so I took the front head off and popped the valves out to inspect. This is what I found. Anybody see a serious issue here?!

Intakes on the left, exhaust on the right:
[Linked Image]

I feel like taking this head and valves back over to the shop that did my last top end job and shoving this where the sun don't shine!

Valve guide issues, or valve seals not right ...
frown.gif

I'm guessing it's not supposed to have two different size intake valves? Would explain the excessive valve adjustment requirement on the intake side. Good thing you pulled it apart.

Is that actually 3 exhaust, and one intake? I don't understand how that valve didn't pull through or lodge in the valve seat.

Looks like they tried to do reamed bronze guides and did them wrong, happened to me with car heads. Most shops can't do it right, best to have new cast iron guides pressed in, don't know what bikes use though.

I have to assume the smaller size was correct and the bigger one was sitting against the head.

Originally Posted by FlyNavyP3
I'm guessing it's not supposed to have two different size intake valves? Would explain the excessive valve adjustment requirement on the intake side. Good thing you pulled it apart.

I'm no expert at valve lapping or seat cutting, but it appears to me they put an exhaust valve in the intake position. If they did, and that is the general consensus here, I'm going to have a word or two with the shop owner.....

Originally Posted by VeryNoisyPoet
What a mess! Any warranty on the top end work you can take advantage of?

He guaranteed his work, but it's been 5000 miles since, so I'm preparing for a battle.

Originally Posted by WylieCoyote
Is that actually 3 exhaust, and one intake? I don't understand how that valve didn't pull through or lodge in the valve seat.

It was dang close. Probably would've happened in the next few hours.
Last week, I adjusted the valves with the spec .006" lash, then went on a 94 mile ride. About halfway through the ride, I could tell I was running on one cylinder again. Losing all lash clearance in 45 miles is ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back