THREE Permatex brake lubricants

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by crainholio
Sil-Glyde on pins with rubber boots, Permatex purple ceramic grease on metal-to-metal contact points including the piston surfaces. I live in the rust belt, and the purple stuff seems to hold up very well as indicated by lack of rust on the pistons.

Yep, same same.

Originally Posted by GMBoy
I now use the black CRC which is safe to touch all brake parts.....I don't like to mess with 2 different lubes when doing brake jobs - 1 lube does all!

Just curious - I don't do this - but what would Sil-Glyde do on metal-to-metal points such as brake pad 'ears' sitting in the caliper bracket ?

quote=hallstevenson Just curious - I don't do this - but what would Sil-Glyde do on metal-to-metal points such as brake pad 'ears' sitting in the caliper bracket ?

It would lubricate for a short time, but there are better products out there for the exposed-to-weather metal to metal parts (Honda/Dow Molykote M77). Take a dab of Sil-Glyde on your finger and rub it under running water. It turns milky very fast as it absorbs water. Real silicone grease won't do that.

This stuff that I use for water exposed metal to metal is impervious to water absorption: https://goodson.com/products/bpl-2400-pastelub-brake-lubricant

I use Permatex or 3M anti-sieze for metal-to-metal contact points myself. The Permatex stuff specifically says it "moisture resistant". Was just curious....

More I look into this, I want to ask the question..... We changed the front brakes on my wife's '14 Fusion a couple of months ago and use Sil-Glyde on the slide pins and back of the brake pad and used Permatex 80078 on the caliper bracket / brake pad 'ears' - the location where the brake pads are installed. Is that stuff okay for this ? Permatex only refers to using this on the "anchor pins" (I presume they mean the (usually) large 17mm, 19mm, etc fasteners that hold the caliper bracket in place).

Permatex's website page for brake lubricants has confusing info on two of the products. Both the ceramic extreme product and ultra caliper lube say "metal to metal contact points" in their description but in the 'application' section, only mentions caliper pins, hardware (?), and back of pads. The "Silicone Ceramic Extreme" product does list disc brake calipers as one of the uses.

Originally Posted by crainholio
Sil-Glyde on pins with rubber boots, Permatex purple ceramic grease on metal-to-metal contact points including the piston surfaces. I live in the rust belt, and the purple stuff seems to hold up very well as indicated by lack of rust on the pistons.

I'm probably going this route on my next brake job (coming up real soon now), only I'm using Goodson Pastelub and Sil-Glyde. Sil-Glyde works OK for about 12-18 months then gets washed off of exposed surfaces. Then the squeaks begin. I think Sil-Glyde good for the pins and rubber parts, but I'm going with the Goodson high solids synthetic for the exposed parts (pad ears, backs).
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008CP6PO0
[Linked Image]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back