You knew this was coming, what oil for a 1967 440

Status
Not open for further replies.
New to me 1967 GTX 440 inbound. Of course I have to change all the fluids when I get it.

Very mild rebuild in the 90's, let's call it stock. Is a hdeo like delo appropriate?

Originally Posted by BeerCan
New to me 1967 GTX 440 inbound. Of course I have to change all the fluids when I get it.

Very mild rebuild in the 90's, let's call it stock. Is a hdeo like delo appropriate?

ROTELLA T5 10w30

I'd go with a full saps oil meeting the VW 502 spec such as Castrol Edge 0W40. One can say you don't need a 0WXX in Florida, but I disagree. Lots of people who have old cars do dry starts because the car sits around a lot. Getting the oil to the high friction valve train can only help and that oil has plenty of zinc.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
I'd go with a full saps oil meeting the VW 502 spec such as Castrol Edge 0W40. One can say you don't need a 0WXX in Florida, but I disagree. Lots of people who have old cars do dry starts because the car sits around a lot. Getting the oil to the high friction valve train can only help and that oil has plenty of zinc.

That would be great. I have plenty of this oil on hand
grin.gif

I would use a conventional such as the Rotella 10W30 mentioned above first to see if it leaks oil. Using a modern synthetic oil like Edge 0W40 in a 20+ year old rebuild could spring a few leaks.

Originally Posted by BeerCan
Originally Posted by skyactiv

That would be great. I have plenty of this oil on hand
grin.gif

I also have plenty of valvoline pbe 5w40 on hand but can't find a voa . I have a uoa in now from my truck

Last edited:
I would also suggest a 10w-30 HDEO like Rotella, Delo XLE, or even Motorcraft HDEO 10w-30. Easy to find, and the extra additives like zinc & phosphorus would be good for this classic engine IMO.

I'd run Rotella.
I would also consider changing to a mild roller and forget about the Zinc issue.
If I ever pull my old Vette 427 apart again, a roller will go in.

Mobil 1, 5W-40 TDT. A robust oil with a great additive package. You will not find a better, more robust or higher ZDDP "off the shelf" 5W-40

I just found a case and a half of Kendal GT1 5w30 in my garage as well. If that is a decent choice I would like to use it up.
So in my possession I have
Vavoline Premium Blue extreme 5w40
Castrol Edge 0w40
Kendal GT1 5w30

PBE is for my 250 so it will get used up either way
Same with the Edge, it's for the F150
The Kendall is not earmarked for anything

One of the 0w-40's like M1 0w-40, GC 0w-40 or even the SRT 0w-40 would be good, but so would Rotella or Delvac.

I use VR1 20w50 in mine, and it's very not-stock. You'd be fine with the 10w30 if you're not bombing it.

This is one of those engines that's not really going to care much about what you put in it. Pretty much any HDEO at all will keep that engine going forever. Have your pick. I'd avoid the synthetics. Why test 30 year old seals?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back