PC not charging

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Dell Inspiron with Windows 10 and suddenly the power will not charge . I switched power cords but it will not charge . I checked in Device Manager and it states the AC adapter is functioning normally but the light on the laptop that is usually on when charging is not lit . I also tried to update battery and AC drivers and they are up to date .
Any help is appreciated .

Battery removable?

If so, shutdown the laptop, unplug the cord, remove the battery and wait a minute or so, then replace.

Maybe it's just confused.

Otherwise, your next steps are to try another battery and/or power brick. Finally, the trouble is in the laptop itself.

But I'd start with removal of the battery if possible without needing heroic efforts to see if it's just a glitch that is cleared by a power off reset.

Dell uses an "intelligent" power adapter system.When you turn on the laptop the BIOS program on the mainboard tries to identify the charger via special control wire.If - for instance - the cable that connects to the power jack is damaged or the power jack itself is loose / broken the BIOS might not be able to recognize the power adapter and refuses to charge the battery.

To check if the power adapter is properly recognized press function-key "F2" at powerup.That takes you to the BIOS screen where you can find the information.

Last edited:
I tried removal of battery and changing power bricks but still nothing will not boot just have Dell logo and a spinning circle on screen

Last edited:
Just powered down and on via power button and saw"preparing automatic repair" diagnosing your PC" I will wait until the diagnosis appears or until battery runs out it was at 52% about an hour ago. Any idea of how long it will take for the thing to complete (if anyone has used this type of repair via Dell automatic repair)?

My Laptop Dell Inspiron with Windows 10 battery died at 1yr 3 months after purchased. No warning. Would only work with ac power. Found a Dell Battery Maintenance type program already installed on computer (did not know it was there).
It said bad battery. Also since mine stays plugged-in most of the time, the program has a setting for this and says
it may extend battery life if constantly on charger.

I remember something different going on with computer , similar to yours, that got my attention that something was wrong.
Can't remember the details at the moment.

Bought a new Dell brand battery off of Amazon, sold by Dell. $50.00

Works like new now. Laptop only 2 years old.

Edit: Mine also said it was charging even though battery was dead. Indicator was stuck at 9% charge.

Last edited:
Windows could not load correctly system restore option appeared on the screen and I clicked it now have "attempting repairs" on screen waiting for the bad news lol. Thanks all for the help

I deal with dells every day and on a laptop that never leaves the power brick/dock on a desk the batterys will go bad. Also in last year+ a higher percentage than ever before latitudes are burning up/out requiring new mainboards. They make a ton of money on batteries that IMO are on a built in death clock that has nothing to do with actual usage. and of course batteries are non warranty.

Go in the bios and check there it should tell you battery helth. Also turn OFF advanced power features like fast charging and the ability to supply charging power to USB ports while it is turned off.

I have purchased a new battery for both of my laptops from Amazon for about $40 CAD each.

They were 5+ years old.

As said above if you don't ever unplug your laptop the battery will die.

It is important to run the battery through drain and charge cycles to keep it healthy. Just unplug it and let it die every now and then, and charge it up.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by mcwilly
I have purchased a new battery for both of my laptops from Amazon for about $40 CAD each.

They were 5+ years old.

As said above if you don't ever unplug your laptop the battery will die.

It is important to run the battery through drain and charge cycles to keep it healthy. Just unplug it and let it die every now and then, and charge it up.

This above
Go buy a new battery and use it correctly.

The upper two statements are not entirely correct. This was on TechRepublic, as lithium-ion batteries do not respond well to NiCad charge/discharge routines.

"Here are a few ways to keep your lithium-ion batteries healthy.

1: Keep your batteries at room temperature
That means between 20 and 25 degrees C. The worst thing that can happen to a lithium-ion battery is to have a full charge and be subjected to elevated temperatures. So don't leave or charge your mobile device's battery in your car if it's hot out. Heat is by far the largest factor when it comes to reducing lithium-ion battery life.

2: Think about getting a high-capacity lithium-ion battery, rather than carrying a spare
Batteries deteriorate over time, whether they're being used or not. So a spare battery won't last much longer than the one in use. It's important to remember the aging characteristic when purchasing batteries. Make sure to ask for ones with the most recent manufacturing date.

3: Allow partial discharges and avoid full ones (usually)
Unlike NiCad batteries, lithium-ion batteries do not have a charge memory. That means deep-discharge cycles are not required. In fact, it's better for the battery to use partial-discharge cycles.

There is one exception. Battery experts suggest that after 30 charges, you should allow lithium-ion batteries to almost completely discharge. Continuous partial discharges create a condition called digital memory, decreasing the accuracy of the device's power gauge. So let the battery discharge to the cut-off point and then recharge. The power gauge will be recalibrated.

4: Avoid completely discharging lithium-ion batteries
If a lithium-ion battery is discharged below 2.5 volts per cell, a safety circuit built into the battery opens and the battery appears to be dead. The original charger will be of no use. Only battery analyzers with the boost function have a chance of recharging the battery.

Also, for safety reasons, do not recharge deeply discharged lithium-ion batteries if they have been stored in that condition for several months.

5: For extended storage, discharge a lithium-ion battery to about 40 percent and store it in a cool place
I've always had an extra battery for my notebook, but it would never last as long as the original battery. I know now that it's because I was storing the battery fully charged. That means oxidation of lithium-ion is at its highest rate. Storing lithium-ion batteries at 40 percent discharge and in the refrigerator (not freezer) is recommended."

This morning I swapped in a battery from another Inspiron and still wont charge and put my battery in the other laptop and charged it up .

I will bring it in to Best Buy on Monday to have them look at it,(went there today but need appointment) . I purchased a multi year plan when I originally got it . If it is covered remains to be determined depending on what they come up with .

Originally Posted by sleepery
This morning I swapped in a battery from another Inspiron and still wont charge and put my battery in the other laptop and charged it up .

I will bring it in to Best Buy on Monday to have them look at it,(went there today but need appointment) . I purchased a multi year plan when I originally got it . If it is covered remains to be determined depending on what they come up with .

Did you try what I posted above? Might be that.

I'd try leaving the battery out and the computer unplugged for 30 minutes (hit the power button a couple of times) and see if that does anything.

yes I did try and the computer stayed on the screen with the Dell logo and a spinning circle then went to automatic repair 2x . I finally got thru a system restore and tried 2 other power adaptors still no charge . I will try it again .

I just tried again pressing the F2 button at power up and it went to the desktop .

Ok got it . It says AC Adapter unknown . I tried factory settings and rebooted still not charging . Tried BIOS still not charging . I ran diagnostics using F12 at power up and got message ePSA4304.14 unable to detect charger . I retried and testing completed stating same error code .

If it does it with another charger as well "Not identified" then it's most likely a problem with the charging circuitry on the motherboard.

Thanks for the help StevieC . I appreciate it and thanks to everyone else as well . I will check it with another charger . I have 2 more that of course are in a different location than I am in . The thing is showing 462hours 44minutes 18% remaining .

I need to switch over to a beer thread haha .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back