Pr 1970 Superbirds For sale - Barn Find

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a find. I remember looking at them brand new as a kid at the local Plymouth dealer, they had a blue one in the window and the Dodge dealer had their version in orange in their window. Time really flies.

Very cool.

And people said modern Dodges are gaudy. Such spartan interiors, too. But a piece of history. Guy took a big gamble trying to flip a couple $180,000 cars but I admire his spirit.

They haven't run in all these years, but their mechanic owner filled them with pure anti-freeze and Marvel Mystery Oil before he put them away.

Originally Posted by kschachn
They haven't run in all these years, but their mechanic owner filled them with pure anti-freeze and Marvel Mystery Oil before he put them away.

Great. The antifreeze has turned into acid by now.

Wandering a little off topic, but In the early 80's, the local junk yard had a Superbee setting outside that was complete except for a missing fender and the air cleaner assembly. Body was great, decals were good, interior looked new and it was a bright yellow. Pretty sure the engine was a 383. IIRC, it could be had for less than $200. I'm not a Mopar man by any means, but to this day I regret not jumping all over it.

if you didn't built at least "x" number for sale to Joe Sixpack, NASCAR said the car didn't race on Sunday.

My, how NASCAR has changed. And not for the better.

Guy at my high school had an orange one. The fiberglass front ends didn't fit well at all, and made them look cobbled together. Which they were. But these look like very nice examples of the car.

I have always liked them.

The reception new was not as good. Dealers were removing the wing and replacing the nose to get them off the showroom floor.

The Superbird's styling proved to be somewhat extreme for 1970's tastes (many customers preferred the regular Road Runner), and as a consequence, many of the 1,920 examples built sat unsold on the back lots of dealerships as late as 1972. Some were converted into 1970 Road Runners to move them off the sales lot

It is amazing to me that these car exist like they do. Crazy.

Originally Posted by Win
if you didn't built at least "x" number for sale to Joe Sixpack, NASCAR said the car didn't race on Sunday.

Guy at my high school had an orange one. The fiberglass front ends didn't fit well at all, and made them look cobbled together. Which they were. But these look like very nice examples of the car.

At one time, it was 500 that had to be sold. Not sure that held up or what.

Time for NASCAR to change their name...................National Association for STOCK CAR Auto Racing........................not!!

All that ...ON 15" TIRES!

During high school a friend's father owned Mopar dealerships. I remember when these came out.

I didn't think to ask if these cars were serious or mere showroom candy. I bet they scared off as many shoppers as they attracted.

Note the intact vinyl roofs.

When I was about six or seven, a family down the street from me had one as a family car for a short time. I was in awe every time I saw it.

The blue Bird is a 440 4spd, so it has some cred.
Hard to believe it looks as good as it does after having sat for forty years in a barn. The white one looks really good.
I recall these cars from my boyhood and thought they were pretty neat at the time.
That they appealed to a then fourteen year old boy probably tells us something about how much appeal they had to those who could actually afford to buy one, although I thought that the Corvette of the time looked awesome as well and that generation remained in production long enough for me to repossess a couple of them in the early eighties.
The neighborhood does look a little too modest for anyone to have a brace of these rare and now valuable beasts in their garage.

Originally Posted by user52165
Originally Posted by Win

At one time, it was 500 that had to be sold. Not sure that held up or what.

500 (OR SO )was for the 1969 Charger NASCAR Daytona.
Before that there was a 1969 Charger 500 with
grill and back window modifications.
Then for 1970 Plymouth had to build over 1800 to qualify the Superbird to race.
What these cars sell for nowadays is insane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back