Thoughts on this truck and price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by ls1mike
Originally Posted by Cujet
I hope you purchased it. Seems like a great deal and would fit your needs.

I won't be able to look at it until Saturday, but it being a 2WD makes me think it isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Most people want 4WD. For what I do with it I don't need it.

I thought that until I ended up in the back corner of a busy campground and needed 4WD to back the RV into our spot. But for the overwhelming majority of the miles we tow an RV 4WD is just extra weight and complexity.

Regarding the miles, my best Silverado ever was purchased with 200+ miles on it. Purchased and driven away, then the deal died somehow and the truck was repossessed. I could have it sent by flatbed to me for a fee or let a dealer monkey drive it back for free. Unbelievable deal, basically half price on a truck with so much ginger bread it had TWO window stickers!

Originally Posted by 02SE
I did find it interesting that the old, lower rated Cummins manages to out pull the supposedly much more powerful Super Duty, and gets 10% better fuel economy while doing so. While the GM isn't even rated for that weight.

Gears my friend, gears.

Also interesting that when pickuptrucks tested all 3 1 tons the GM was the best and Ram the last, with Ram having the worst acceleration and "mediocre fuel economy".
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2018/07/2018-one-ton-heavy-duty-truck-challenge-how-we-tested.html
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2018/07/whats-the-best-one-ton-heavy-duty-truck-for-2018.html

Sure, the Duramax and Ford 6.7 are quite good engines these days, and i'd rather have the Ford or GM interiors. However, that Tradesman CTD combo is unbeatable in value. You can spec it with anything from a manual, to a 68RFE, to fuel economy gears, all the way out to full on towing gears, dually and AISIN HD. My personal opinion is nothing will beat the CTD in fuel economy especially if you get the capacity you intend to use. Inline 6 vs todays diesel V8 is a major packaging advantage. Taking the cab off is not really what the average enthusiast wants to do. Ram actually makes a lot of entry level diesels and will discount them unlike Ford and GM.

Problems with the Chevy, again just imo: 1. Its already the "old" body style. 2. No rear AC vents. 3. Smaller cabin space vs Ford and what will be the new ram HD next year or so. 4. Desirability of a 2wd base model crew long bed gas, only a problem if needs change and you decide to sell it. 5. Gas tank size, many of the GM gassers only have a 26 gallon tank, not sure what OP's linked truck has but hopefully its the larger tank.

The good thing about the Chevy Gas, its basically indestructible. Somebody who can take care of stuff can literally drive one forever. OP could keep the 800 series truck he has for as long as he wants. Upgrading to the 2018 would be nice and he could have a super reliable truck for 20-30 years. I was in that same situation, had a mechanically perfect 6.0 truck, but wanted more. I kept one eye on the truck markets for a very long time until i found the perfect truck for me. It ended up being a high mileage 2 year old. The equipment and price was exactly what i wanted. I don't put a ton of miles on any one vehicle so starting with a 70k mile truck at a big discount made a lot of sense. Its still near mint on the interior, already been scratched, dented and rock chipped so i don't have to literally freak out when my brand new truck gets a scratch.

I guess what i'm saying is, consider all options, gas and diesel, new, and even some used. Normally used trucks are so overpriced its not even worth looking at but the deals can be found. Used is making a little bit more sense now that new trucks aren't getting such big discounts as they did even last year.

Originally Posted by itguy08

Gears my friend, gears.

They both had the same 4.10:1 axle ratio. And as mentioned in the video, Ford claims more power, and a higher tow rating and GCVWR.

Here's another video from last year where they test all three at a business that sells products for all three, so again no bias. The truck with the lowest claimed power rating, again put the most torque to the ground.

When I was looking at trucks I considered all three. As I also mentioned the GM simply isn't rated for what I needed, and the Ford still has the problematic Bosch HPFP. GM DID use the same HPFP, but they apparently got tired of the failures, and redesigned the Duramax and from '17 on now use a Denso HPFP.

Originally Posted by dareo

Problems with the Chevy, again just imo: 1. Its already the "old" body style. 2. No rear AC vents. 3. Smaller cabin space vs Ford and what will be the new ram HD next year or so. 4. Desirability of a 2wd base model crew long bed gas, only a problem if needs change and you decide to sell it. 5. Gas tank size, many of the GM gassers only have a 26 gallon tank, not sure what OP's linked truck has but hopefully its the larger tank.

The good thing about the Chevy Gas, its basically indestructible. Somebody who can take care of stuff can literally drive one forever. OP could keep the 800 series truck he has for as long as he wants. Upgrading to the 2018 would be nice and he could have a super reliable truck for 20-30 years. I was in that same situation, had a mechanically perfect 6.0 truck, but wanted more. I kept one eye on the truck markets for a very long time until i found the perfect truck for me. It ended up being a high mileage 2 year old. The equipment and price was exactly what i wanted. I don't put a ton of miles on any one vehicle so starting with a 70k mile truck at a big discount made a lot of sense. Its still near mint on the interior, already been scratched, dented and rock chipped so i don't have to literally freak out when my brand new truck gets a scratch.

I guess what i'm saying is, consider all options, gas and diesel, new, and even some used. Normally used trucks are so overpriced its not even worth looking at but the deals can be found. Used is making a little bit more sense now that new trucks aren't getting such big discounts as they did even last year.

I agree with all of this. There is absolutely nothing wrong with my current truck I could run it 10 more years easily. Resale isn't a big concern to me as I kept the base model with only A/C for coming up on 8 years. Truck in the my area are stupid expensive and this a way for me to get in a relatively new truck with more options and more capability. Still don't want a diesel.
smile.gif
Long bed gassers have a 34 gallon tank. Well at least mine does.

Then i think you'll be very happy with that new model. The 6 speed trans alone is worth upgrading to. Clean low mileage trucks like your 02 are never going to be worth more than they are today. I got enough out of my old truck that the upgrade wasn't that expensive.

They both had the same 4.10:1 axle ratio. And as mentioned in the video, Ford claims more power, and a higher tow rating and GCVWR.

Here's another video from last year where they test all three at a business that sells products for all three, so again no bias. The truck with the lowest claimed power rating, again put the most torque to the ground.

Interesting how TFL's testing is different than Truck trend which also dyno'ed the 2017's:
http://www.trucktrend.com/features/1707-truck-trends-1-ton-challenge-fuel-economy-and-dyno/

Ford had the most power to the dyno, GM was #2 and Ram was #3. GM used the least fuel, Ford was the middle, and Ram used the most.

02SE said:

Interesting how TFL's testing is different than Truck trend which also dyno'ed the 2017's:
http://www.trucktrend.com/features/1707-truck-trends-1-ton-challenge-fuel-economy-and-dyno/

Ford had the most power to the dyno, GM was #2 and Ram was #3. GM used the least fuel by a huge margin, Ford was the middle, and Ram used the most.

Last edited:
Their claim that the GM only used .6 liters vs Ford and Rams 2.6 2.7 liters is cause to throw out their entire set of data. Those trucks are going to get very close to each other in fuel economy. Real world results would be 5-10% of total variation between the three diesels. At least TFL will run a 98 mile loop and show the results.

You can get a new 1500 for that price.

Unless you're towing a 5th wheel or plowing you'll likely do just fine with the latest 1500 offerings.

He won't have the stability with a 1500. Even if he got a max tow like mine it will still be less stable with a big wind sail of a travel trailer. I won't be buying any big trailers no matter what they weigh with my current truck. 11,000lbs on a flatbed? i'd tow that.
30+ foot travel trailer? Nope. Loads like he described should only be towed with a 2500 on up. Preferably a dually for the most safety and control. You know, like a Tradesman Ram CTD dually, incase a new heavy 5th wheel catches your eye...

Originally Posted by oilpsi2high
You can get a new 1500 for that price.

Unless you're towing a 5th wheel or plowing you'll likely do just fine with the latest 1500 offerings.

They don't have enough payload. I would eat it up quick, wood, bikes, 6 people kayaks plus 750 lbs on the hitch. You can come try and tow my trailer with a half ton.
I have an dit is not exactly what I call a fun experience The 1/2 tons have plenty of power but certainly don't feel like a 3/4 ton or better towing my trailer.

Their claim that the GM only used .6 liters vs Ford and Rams 2.6 2.7 liters is cause to throw out their entire set of data. Those trucks are going to get very close to each other in fuel economy. Real world results would be 5-10% of total variation between the three diesels. At least TFL will run a 98 mile loop and show the results.

As you point out, anyone that can't see there is obviously some flaw in their data gathering and reporting, is in denial, a super fanboy, or simply clueless. Similar weights, similar power, two are within a tenth of a MPG, and one supposedly uses a mere fraction of the fuel? Yeah, there's either blatant bias, or just incompetence in their methods.

As you point out, anyone that can't see there is obviously some flaw in their data gathering and reporting, is in denial, a super fanboy, or simply clueless. Similar weights, similar power, two are within a tenth of a MPG, and one supposedly uses a mere fraction of the fuel? Yeah, there's either blatant bias, or just incompetence in their methods.

Had you both bothered to actually read the link you'd see where they do explain how the dyno runs worked and how the GM posted the same #s twice. Given Truck Trend is a pretty respected magazine (and the results somewhat back up pickuptrucks.com's tests in that the GM is the most fuel efficient), I think they know a little bit of what they are doing.

The first two tests of our six-event throwdown pitted our three factory-stock 1-ton duallies against ATS Diesel Performance's vicious dual eddy-current Mustang dynamometer. Before getting down to the nitty gritty of just how much power these monsters put out, we first ran them through a fuel-economy evaluation utilizing the dyno and its powerful software. Similar to how the EPA does its fuel-economy testing, our evaluation began by strapping each truck to the dyno. We then topped off the fuel tank using a metered dispenser and set off on the 22-minute test. Over the course of a simulated 7.2 miles, the dyno is able to vary its load to simulate a diversity of terrain and driving conditions, and the vehicles run from stopped at idle all the way up to 60 mph. The system tells the driver what input is required by displaying a green arrow that must be kept between a pair of lines on a nearby monitor. Think of it as the most stressful, tedious video game you've ever played. Upon completion and before leaving the dyno cell, the trucks were again topped off using the metered pump, and the amount of fuel used was recorded.

To eliminate the human factor as much as possible, we tapped the driving talent of ATS's Maximillian Edwards, resident dyno guru and head of the company's electronics shop. Max made it through the test with no faults, but a pair of anomalies on the first test led us to run all the trucks through a second time. During the first test, the Ford F-350 went into its exhaust-regeneration cycle, thus tanking its fuel-economy result and voiding the test. The second anomaly came when the GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD used a significant amount less fuel than the other two, leading us to wonder if we'd done something wrong. After a second run, the Sierra backed up its first number and took the win in our fuel-efficiency challenge by a wide margin.

Certainly not scientific but neither is resetting the fuel computer and using that as TFL uses to calculate their MPG #s. The dash computer is great at averaging over long periods of time.

Not sure any of this matters - the OP doesn't want a Diesel and wants to stay in a GM vehicle, which by all accounts is one of the top pickup trucks.

Last edited:
TFL hand calculates MPG and also mentions the fuel computers numbers on all of their 98 mile loops. The only time they quote just the fuel computer is on ike gauntlet towing tests. Yes i have too much free time to watch you tube!

Had you both bothered to actually read the link you'd see where they do explain how the dyno runs worked and how the GM posted the same #s twice. Given Truck Trend is a pretty respected magazine (and the results somewhat back up pickuptrucks.com's tests in that the GM is the most fuel efficient), I think they know a little bit of what they are doing.

The first two tests of our six-event throwdown pitted our three factory-stock 1-ton duallies against ATS Diesel Performance's vicious dual eddy-current Mustang dynamometer. Before getting down to the nitty gritty of just how much power these monsters put out, we first ran them through a fuel-economy evaluation utilizing the dyno and its powerful software. Similar to how the EPA does its fuel-economy testing, our evaluation began by strapping each truck to the dyno. We then topped off the fuel tank using a metered dispenser and set off on the 22-minute test. Over the course of a simulated 7.2 miles, the dyno is able to vary its load to simulate a diversity of terrain and driving conditions, and the vehicles run from stopped at idle all the way up to 60 mph. The system tells the driver what input is required by displaying a green arrow that must be kept between a pair of lines on a nearby monitor. Think of it as the most stressful, tedious video game you've ever played. Upon completion and before leaving the dyno cell, the trucks were again topped off using the metered pump, and the amount of fuel used was recorded.

To eliminate the human factor as much as possible, we tapped the driving talent of ATS's Maximillian Edwards, resident dyno guru and head of the company's electronics shop. Max made it through the test with no faults, but a pair of anomalies on the first test led us to run all the trucks through a second time. During the first test, the Ford F-350 went into its exhaust-regeneration cycle, thus tanking its fuel-economy result and voiding the test. The second anomaly came when the GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD used a significant amount less fuel than the other two, leading us to wonder if we'd done something wrong. After a second run, the Sierra backed up its first number and took the win in our fuel-efficiency challenge by a wide margin.

Certainly not scientific but neither is resetting the fuel computer and using that as TFL uses to calculate their MPG #s. The dash computer is great at averaging over long periods of time.

Not sure any of this matters - the OP doesn't want a Diesel and wants to stay in a GM vehicle, which by all accounts is one of the top pickup trucks.

So you really believe the GM used ONE TENTH over a half gallon, while the other two used two gallons more? Their testing methodology is flawed, but they apparently lack the expertise to determine why.

As dareo said, TFL uses the same pump and filling method every time for their 98 mile loop, and hand calculate the fuel economy for each truck they test. The newly revised for '17 Duramax is much better in fuel economy than it was prior the engine overhaul. So much so that it's usually right there with the Cummins for fuel economy. It's a shame GM hasn't redesigned the entire truck to be able to compete with Ford and RAM in the heavy towing arena. Maybe that's in their plans for the supposedly redesigned 2020 truck.

So you really believe the GM used ONE TENTH over a half gallon, while the other two used two gallons more? Their testing methodology is flawed, but they apparently lack the expertise to determine why.

As dareo said, TFL uses the same pump and filling method every time for their 98 mile loop, and hand calculate the fuel economy for each truck they test. The newly revised for '17 Duramax is much better in fuel economy than it was prior the engine overhaul. So much so that it's usually right there with the Cummins for fuel economy. It's a shame GM hasn't redesigned the entire truck to be able to compete with Ford and RAM in the heavy towing arena. Maybe that's in their plans for the supposedly redesigned 2020 truck.

It does sound very suspicious. I don't know how that happened but it apparently happened for them twice and supposedly using the same dyno and the same driver and same "road course".

In pickuptrucks.com's test of the 1 tons the GM had the best fuel economy out of the 3 (http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2018/07/2018-one-ton-heavy-duty-truck-challenge-how-we-tested.html) both loaded and unloaded. They also hand calculate and use a loop. So are you both saying their testing is wrong too?

I gotta tell everyone. The truck sits. If I get better than 6 MPG when towing. I am good.

Gas mileage isn't even part of the equation for me when I buy anything especially a truck.

I get the truck for one thing, To tow my trailer.

My round trip to work is 20 miles. So my in my daily driver I burn maybe a gallon day. My wife works at Subase Bangor as well and the Malibu will average 30ish so it does fine.

Gas mileage and truck? Never heard of it.

A couple of points. The Cummins is far more difficult to package as it is a LONG engine. The V8 diesels are shorter and as such much easier to fit. personally I feel the Cummins has the best shot at a long life.

Dyno testing is highly variable. I always look at dyno numbers very suspiciously. And real world results are far more indicative.

And we have a few trucks here. No one worries about a couple of gallons more or less when it comes to fuel. I suspect very few HD truck buyers looking for a full tilt one ton chassis care much about fuel...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back