Fram Ultra Air Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
We can't currently get the Fram Ultra Air filters in Canada. (Not even at Walmart)

Is there really a difference in their quality versus the tough guard that it's worth me adding it to my shopping list when I'm in the U.S.

Does anyone know how they compare in-terms of efficiency versus the tough-guard? I ask because they spec one for my new ride and I would spend the extra cash for better filtration over the standard Tough Guard filters or an OE Denso that's in my Yota now.

cheers3.gif

On the Fram website the filter that fits my Yota among other vehicles lists an Ultra but I can't seem to get them here so they might just be ramping up production still.

Thanks for your link.
thumbsup2.gif

I recently replaced my OEM air filter in my Ram and the Fram Ultra was one of the filters I bought for a comparison. Compared to the OEM and a Napa Gold, The Fram ultra air filter was very poor quality. It had a lower pleat count, uneven pleat spacing and a sloppy looking gasket. I returned the Fram ultra and ended up installing the Napa Gold.

Originally Posted by Nick1994
They've got them here. If you really wanted one I could ship one to you.

Although that would be quite an expensive filter once it ships to Canada!

https://www.walmart.com/ip/FRAM-Ultra-Premium-Air-Filter-XGA10755/498822236

I appreciate that but I'm not that far from the Buffalo, NY border and pop over regularly for getting my supply of stuff I can't get here. Also because I'm a Harbor Freight junkie.
grin2.gif

It's great not having to wait in line at the border to clear customs with a Nexus card, just sail on through. Makes shopping easier. Hahahaha

Originally Posted by AMC
I recently replaced my OEM air filter in my Ram and the Fram Ultra was one of the filters I bought for a comparison. Compared to the OEM and a Napa Gold, The Fram ultra air filter was very poor quality. It had a lower pleat count, uneven pleat spacing and a sloppy looking gasket. I returned the Fram ultra and ended up installing the Napa Gold.

Interesting?

When I replaced mine with an Extra Guard this past January, I also noticed uneven spacing/gluing. I didn't count the number of pleats but it looked adequate, imo.
This is Snagglefoot's (yellow Ultra) from the other thread and this is the one I put in (white) and you can clearly see the QC or lack there of.

In another thread I asked about it (the QC) but most said it was a non issue. Personally, I'd like to see a little better QC but it looks like if one is going to use Frams, this is what we are going to have to put up with?

Snags ultra filter.jpeg

WP_20180126_11_41_46_Pro (2).jpg

WP_20180126_11_42_01_Pro.jpg

I just got mine today. It replaced the PureOne filter I had that went through the time of the wild fires. The PureOne still had alot of life left in it but, the lure of a newer as good or better filter caught me.
The framUltra for my engine doesn't have the wire backing or the beads of glue on it. It did give me the CAI whistle once installed which the PureOne didn't. Yes I did make sure the seal to the airbox was snug and tight.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Ordered off the walmart website. Installed into a 015' KiaOptima 2.4l

Originally Posted by StevieC
That's a nice looking filter
thumbsup2.gif

the filter I received today doesn't have the bright yellow filter media XG's and other Ultras have. Its closer to a yellow tinted white media on the filter. I'm thinking the picture I posted above came out yellower than the filter really is due to the insane lighting I have in my garage?

I've gone through a, K&N phase (shortlived) and a, TearO'Lator phase for airfilters. I am now a believer in Fram Ultra air filters.

When I'm down in Ohio in October visiting friends I'm going to see what I can find and stock up before the return trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back