Septic Tank pumping question

Status
Not open for further replies.
To closeout my post, I had my tank pumped this morning. $300 total, $150 for pumping, $150 for dumping. My house is going on five years old. The tank did have a filter on the outlet that was messy but not clogged. The septic guy said I should clean the filter twice per year but it looked great for having never been cleaned. The scum layer on the top of my tank was a thick crust and I was stretching by waiting almost five years with a family of four. He suggested doing it again at 3 years. Likely I will have it pumped again in four years to see where I'm at.

That's a pretty good price all things considered. Out country health Dept tacks on a fee even though they don't show up for the event.

I Wonder if the cold weather in Maine decreases the enzyme bacteria activity in the tank?

Great post. We have our cabin tank pumped every 3-4 years (around $150 and it 'seems' to be required by the county although I haven't confirmed that). It's a newer drain field type system (I think that's the term) and so far we've never had any issues. I'm septic tank stupid so posts like these make me smarter. I think.

Originally Posted by road_rascal
Great post. We have our cabin tank pumped every 3-4 years (around $150 and it 'seems' to be required by the county although I haven't confirmed that). It's a newer drain field type system (I think that's the term) and so far we've never had any issues. I'm septic tank stupid so posts like these make me smarter. I think.

All septic tanks have a drain field attached. The tank holds the solids and the liquids drain out thru the field. Depending on your local regulations most systems are engineered. Out our way it's mandatory. There are several types of drain fields.

It's important to not let the tank get too full. Once solids get into the drain field and plug the holes it becomes a very costly job to clear up.

The original system for my house failed after 40 years. The cast in place concrete tank lid sagged and the concrete had essentially rotted so that the metal rod the plumbers used to "find" the tank would hit the lid and then pass through it.
The field lines weren't "clogged" but the absorption of the dirt around the lines had ceased to exist. The liquid remained in the field lines, backed up into the tank and rendered my lower level toilet inoperable. If it rained i would have sewage back up through the floor drain in the lower level shower. Perhaps part of the issue is that there is solid rock about 10 feet below existing grade.

Ended up abandoning the field lines, having the soil in another location of my property perc tested, and installing new field lines ("infiltrator system") along with 2 new larger tanks and a pump.
The other option considered was to completely excavate/haul off the old septic field, import and backfill with a good draining material, and installing a new system.

My lesson learned is that if I am buying an older house with a septic system, simply pumping the tank and inspecting it would not be enough to convince me that the system would continue to operate properly.

Originally Posted by PimTac
road_rascal said:
All septic tanks have a drain field attached. The tank holds the solids and the liquids drain out thru the field. Depending on your local regulations most systems are engineered. Out our way it's mandatory. There are several types of drain fields.

That's what I thought also, until I just read a recent thread (Terry Love forum) about a septic tank system with a pump that transfers the liquid portion to a municipal sewage system. Learn something new almost every day.

There also seems to be no factual evidence that the biological septic tank additives actually do anything. A few claim that they might result in a negative consequence of allowing more particulates to enter the drain field (again, no good evidence to back it up).

Last edited:
Originally Posted by gathermewool
Rand, some places do, e.g., Puerto Rico.

On a serious note, you knew what he meant.

Mexico too. In my house a fair amount of the paper does wind up in the trashcan. If you think about it, if you don't pay for trash (or it's paid for via taxes and not by the bag) it might be cheaper to do that. Rather than paying for pumping.

Paid $325 or so recently for our 1,250 gallon tank. 3 years was too soon on our tank, as it was doing just fine.

IMO it's foolish to go by the tables that talk about bedrooms--it's all about what goes in. Friends of ours have a 4 bedroom house--and 8 kids. I think they pump twice per year.

Originally Posted by doitmyself
Originally Posted by PimTac
road_rascal said:

That's what I thought also, until I just read a recent thread (Terry Love forum) about a septic tank system with a pump that transfers the liquid portion to a municipal sewage system. Learn something new almost every day.

There also seems to be no factual evidence that the biological septic tank additives actually do anything. A few claim that they might result in a negative consequence of allowing more particulates to enter the drain field (again, no good evidence to back it up).

There are lots of systems. Currently I am on a septic. All of our waste goes to a holding tank which has a pump that pumps it to the main septic. This is due to the reason that we are below the grade of the main septic tank.

The term cesspool might apply to the system you read about though these terms get intermixed all the time.

Originally Posted by doitmyself

So is that just to provide some sort of pre-treatment for the municipal system? Does everyone have to do this in that municipality?

Originally Posted by bcossa2001
The health department here requires a pumping out every 5 years.
My suggestion is to have every access port/cover opened so that the tank can be thoroughly inspected inside and out. You don't want to do it again in 3 years....

What county is this in AL???

On mine I wound up putting in small boxes--I framed a 3x3 foot or so opening with pressure treat, and made covers that could be pried up. I could tell it was about time to pump when the grass finally grew over--and I was no longer sure where the tank was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back