Change oil filter or not. Very low miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have always changed the oil and filter together. My wife's motorcycle needs the oil changed since its been a year. The bike has only been ridden 700 miles. Is it a waste of money to change the filter? It's not that I'm too cheap. Just seems like a waste. Opinions?

Pretty sure my oil is in the bike longer than 2 years now, and the filter is from the previous fill. The HD filter is also a multiple OCI filter. Echo what 46 said, why change it?

Just don't feel comfortable leaving the oil in past a year. There is also the warranty to consider as the manual says 5K or one year.

Thanks for the input. Think I will leave the filter alone. It is a Harley premium filter. Wife had a lot of issues that prevented her from riding this year. Will just change it next time.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

Was going to link to an old post, but the hosting site can't keep the domain straight..
Anyway, if Harley sources the same filters as from 10 years ago, these things are built like a tank.

Harley oil filters are supposedly made by Champion and are quality filters from my understanding. I have never felt a need to buy anything else.

I agree with leaving the filter on with only 700 miles on it. Oil is probably fine too, but change the oil if it makes you more comfortable.

Time is a human construct. I read it from here I believe. Oil, filters, motorcycles don't know time.

When it doubt change it out.

Particularly if warranty necessitates it. Us folks on the internet aren't the ones who'll pay for it if something happens and they void it

If you are under warranty better follow the manufacturers interval for the filter as well.

That said bot the oil and filter would be fine for extended use.

Cut Open Harley Davidson Super Premium 5

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Change the oil and filter and any other fluid that needs changing. Why only 700 miles per year Kids?

Definitely follow the owner's manual service intervals to keep the warranty intact. If it says change the oil and filter, do that. If it allows just an oil change and leave the filter, well... I'd still say change them both
laugh.gif
The service is due and you are not cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back