New Fram air filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

irv

Just doing some looking, I noticed this "New" (to me anyways) Ultra air filter from Fram for my 2013 Ram Hemi.

The filter is only available at Wal Mart however.
http://www.fram.com/parts-search/XG...OAAjoDoB2AGTJ8AlmAAWAF3YARdOICeZAFQgAukA

Any idea how long this has been available and is anyone currently using one?

I was/have been hoping to eventually find a oiled Fram Tough Guard but I am still not having any luck in my local jobbers but now I am thinking about going this route if I can find one.

The Fram Ultra version of engine air filter that can be changed up to 24K miles of use. This higher efficiency XGA doubles the distance of the current CA engine air filter to be changed every 12K miles and will cost $4 more at Walmart. Good option for those who do not like to change out their engine air filter often.

I always remembered owner's manuals recommending a 30k or even 36k mile interval for air filters. I've got to go back and look to see what my current vehicles say. I've done 36k, typically in my Jeep JK, and just going by the looks of the filter, that's been a good interval. They are dirty, but not horribly filthy, at that point. I only changed it sooner when doing more driving in dusty environments, such as off-roading. (I changed one after only a week at the end of a trip to Moab in 2015. I was able to shake a dust cloud out of that one!)

I used this Tough Guard for the summer to combat forest fire ash. It looks similar to your Ultra. The ash was only around for about a month, so the filter still looks fresh.

0604DE67-782B-4F03-B1B6-A6AB90278BF1.jpeg

634B380C-F5D0-4094-94A3-2732C593F1E6.jpeg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
The Ultra line has been out for about a year. It seems to be a rebrand of their old TG air filters
smile.gif

Old? I thought the Extra Guards were old and the TG's were fairly new(ish)?

Regardless, I have not seen either one up here but I did call the Fram 1-800 number today to inquire but haven't received anything yet telling me where I can purchase them up her in Ontario, Canada.

There are 2 available for my truck, the TG and the Ultra according to their site so there must be something slightly different about them or they haven't remove the TG yet?

No such thing for my wife's 2017 Impala, just the Extra Guards is all they show?

Originally Posted by StevieC
Irv,

I'm going to get the one that fits my Toyota when I'm in the U.S. next and try them out.

Lucky you! It looks like the U.S. is likely our best option for purchasing them?
I still haven't heard anything back from the woman I talked to at Fram and she was at the Fram headquarters/office in Mississauga.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
You can get Fram Tough Guard Air filters in Canada on www.amazon.ca . Couldn't find any Fram Ultra Air filters.

I've seen them on there, Snaggle, but they are pricey! I believe the one TG for my Ram was over $34 dollars then add shipping to that and its way more than I want to pay for an air filter.
crazy2.gif

Hopefully the Fram rep calls me tomorrow with some good news but I am not holding my breath.

Irv,

If we can't buy them up here by the time I go to the U.S. again I would happily pick you up some for your vehicle. My office is in Markham which is a little bit of a drive from Oshawa but not too bad if you wanted to meet up.

Originally Posted by StevieC
Irv,

If we can't buy them up here by the time I go to the U.S. again I would happily pick you up some for your vehicle. My office is in Markham which is a little bit of a drive from Oshawa but not too bad if you wanted to meet up.

I appreciate that, Stevie, but I don't think I really need them that bad to be honest with you. I put a Extra Guard in my Ram just this past January so I will/should be good for a couple years.
Hopefully in that time when I am ready to replace it, they are available up here somewhere?

Thanks just the same.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted by 2015Corolla
Using this one for the past 2-3,000 miles

www.fram.com/parts-search/XGA10190/...AGQBYACQgDoAHFzJcAlmAAWdPgBF0damQBUIALpA

And another one exclusive to WalMart only?

I still haven't heard anything back from the Fram rep yet, but the day is young I suppose?

Anyone know the prices of OE filters compared to Fram's? I don't believe I ever checked but just assumed the OE's would be more expensive?

Rock Auto now has Fram Tough Guard Air filters and for the same price as AC Delco Professional. $21.63 CDN plus shipping for the 8755 on my 6.0 Chev.

Thanks.

Rock Auto now has Fram Tough Guard Air filters and for the same price as AC Delco Professional. $21.63 CDN plus shipping for the 8755 on my 6.0 Chev.

Have you purchased from them before, Snaggle? I just checked 2013 but did not see Ram listed.

Is this an American outfit? If so, have you checked/factored in the shipping and duty into that price?

I still never heard anything back from that Fram rep. I was hoping to Friday but not a peep.

Yes, used them five times. They're out of Wisconsin so shipping to Oshawa is not bad. You can set up their website to quote in Canadian dollars. No brokerage fees and only a small in duty if they are foreign made. Also, no provincial sales tax. They quote all charges before you commit. Did you check Dodge?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back