Help! No high beam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I recently posted that I have a problem with the headlights, got low beam but not high beam, i even get the blue high beam icon on the dashboard. Had it checked, they said it coukd be a wire, switch is good, relay is good apparently, fuse too.

Now, im debating to buy a new car or not, mine is a 2011 cruze with 177000 km. It had his share of ptoblems :

- replaced thermostat 3 times.
- had the transmission removed to had a new torque
converter seal
- hood release cable got stuck and broke
- have a wet spot between transmission and engine,
was there since new, still is even if the seal been
changed.
- battery leaked acid after 5 years
- coolant leaking from a plastic hose connecting to
radiator.
- air bag light constantly on in the dashboard
- trunk release button stopped working
- high speed wipers dont work, only normal speed
- water leakage inside from a loose ac drain, all the
water was draining inside the car
- and now no high beam.

I have an excellent deal on a new elantra 2018 and I still owe a bit of money on my cruze.

Is it worth paying it off, or should I invest in a new car with full warranty? I am tempted by the elantra, very nice car. Put lots of repairs on the cruze and im not done, what should i do?!

I wish you well. Kinda reminds me of my Saturn all the repairs and issues you have had. In my case I did not want to get into debt and kept repairing it, and repairing it, etc. Only you know your financial situation.

I can say the 2017 Elantra SE I now have has been great and would buy again. No regrets.

Just a quick thought. Fix the lights (hopefully it's something simple). Then detail the heck out of it and throw it up on one of the auto trader type websites at a premium price. You may just be able to work a sale you can't refuse. Worst that could happen is you'll still have a really slick Cruze to drive around.

you need a Toyota

Originally Posted by wolf_06
Hi,

I recently posted that I have a problem with the headlights, got low beam but not high beam, i even get the blue high beam icon on the dashboard. Had it checked, they said it coukd be a wire, switch is good, relay is good apparently, fuse too.

Now, im debating to buy a new car or not, mine is a 2011 cruze with 177000 km. It had his share of ptoblems :

- replaced thermostat 3 times.
- had the transmission removed to had a new torque
converter seal
- hood release cable got stuck and broke
- have a wet spot between transmission and engine,
was there since new, still is even if the seal been
changed.
- battery leaked acid after 5 years
- coolant leaking from a plastic hose connecting to
radiator.
- air bag light constantly on in the dashboard
- trunk release button stopped working
- high speed wipers dont work, only normal speed
- water leakage inside from a loose ac drain, all the
water was draining inside the car
- and now no high beam.

I have an excellent deal on a new elantra 2018 and I still owe a bit of money on my cruze.

Is it worth paying it off, or should I invest in a new car with full warranty? I am tempted by the elantra, very nice car. Put lots of repairs on the cruze and im not done, what should i do?!

Have you replaced the actual high beam light bulbs?

Sounds like a lot of PIA things are wrong with the Cruze. You are kind of leaning towards giving up on the vehicle.

I might dump the vehicle and move on to an Elantra.

What will the Hyundai dealer give you for the Cruze? Might be worth it to trade it and get into something more reliable.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
What will the Hyundai dealer give you for the Cruze? Might be worth it to trade it and get into something more reliable.

Puts me in an elantra SE popular pqckage for 26k on the road all in.

That including the trade? Or minus the trade?

With the trade, i find its a hot deal. 26k on thr road all in, with my trade

I'd say pull the trigger, given the issues you've had with the Cruze. There's something to be said for the peace of mind a reliable vehicle offers.

I'd say pull the trigger, given the issues you've had with the Cruze. There's something to be said for the peace of mind a reliable vehicle offers.

Yeah 0% at 143 bi weekly, no payment for 90 days.

I think I've seen some one else mention this bi weekly payment schedule, is that something new banks/dealers are offering?

Originally Posted by HemiHawk

I think I've seen some one else mention this bi weekly payment schedule, is that something new banks/dealers are offering?

Im not sure, its a huge dealer here in the maritimes, they can finance at 0% with 5 diffrent banks. I admit, its a very good deal

Im not sure, its a huge dealer here in the maritimes, they can finance at 0% with 5 diffrent banks. I admit, its a very good deal

Seems like a no-brainer then. I recall the saga of your Cruze well. I'm amazed you held onto it this long.

OVERKILL said:

Yeah, I had hope i could pay it off one day, but 9s it really worth it now that i have this deal? Stuck woth payment for 5 years at least.

Have you replaced the bulbs? Or stuck a volt-meter here or there.? You're gonna dump a car that you're upside down on?

Yeah, I had hope i could pay it off one day, but 9s it really worth it now that i have this deal? Stuck woth payment for 5 years at least.

A paid-off lemon is still a lemon though right? I certainly understand the concern about 5 more years of payments though. You could always sell privately and buy something used too.

With the trade, i find its a hot deal. 26k on thr road all in, with my trade

Bi-weekly payments can fool you. Do not simply double the payment amount to compare to monthly payments. There are 26 bi-weekly periods in a year, not 24. Also if your job pays twice a month instead of every two weeks, there will be months when you have to make three car payments out of two paychecks.

Always pay attention to:
* Price of the new car (as a single lump sum)
* Extra junk they try to add on in the back office
* Trade value
* APR of the loan

The payments will work out themselves.

Originally Posted by mk378
Bi-weekly payments can fool you. Do not simply double the payment amount to compare to monthly payments. There are 26 bi-weekly periods in a year, not 24. Also if your job pays twice a month instead of every two weeks, there will be months when you have to make three car payments out of two paychecks.

Always pay attention to:
* Price of the new car (as a single lump sum)
* Extra junk they try to add on in the back office
* Trade value
* APR of the loan

The payments will work out themselves.

Did all that, 182 payments of 143$ = 26000$ ish.

The price of the car alone is 23000 + transport + tax, how can I go wrong? Tell me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back