Pick my oil. 25k miles a year

Status
Not open for further replies.
2007 Mazda 3. 2.0
4 speed auto (3000 rpms@75mph)
188k miles

Love the clearance synthetics (under $3 a quart) at 7.5k oci, 5w30/10w30 and oversized Fram Ultra at 2 times the interval.

Moved far away from work. 60 miles one way. All highway. Some stop and go.

Looking for less time spent changing oil.

Will do 25k a year for sure. Maybe even 30k.

Can i go 10k on clearance stuff?

Or maybe suggest something else?

Last edited:
I would go with an oil that is rated for extended use and verify at least once with UOA. Maybe Mobil/Amsoil etc. I know the latter is not cheap. Let us know what you choose and if it works.

Isn't it rebate time for M1 at Walmart?
If so 2 - 5 qt jugs now and 2 more in the spring.
I don't.know about 15k but 10k should be doable on standard M1.

Not going to go the M1/Amsoil route as its overpriced, even with their rebates. Will stick to Fleet store brand D1 G2 synthetic at $2.75 a quart and run it for 10k miles. Non DI/turbo engine. Easy on oil. It will be fine.

Originally Posted by Serge
Not going to go the M1/Amsoil route as its overpriced, even with their rebates.

????????

M1 is $23 for 5 qts at Wally World with a $12 rebate. End result.....$11 for 5qts of M1.

Yes, the clearance syn should be able to handle 10k under your conditions
smile.gif

Not going to go the M1/Amsoil route as its overpriced, even with their rebates. Will stick to Fleet store brand D1 G2 synthetic at $2.75 a quart and run it for 10k miles. Non DI/turbo engine. Easy on oil. It will be fine.

You seem to have already made up your mind before you even started this thread.

Yeah its a good deal might have to do it. Hate dealing with mail in rebates.
Indeed, that deal is hard to beat. It is a high mileage, old-seals type of car, so extra seal conditioners could prevent an expensive rear main seal leak or other. Order up some LiquiMoly Motor OIl Saver for its seal conditioner if you don't pick a High Mileage-type oil. Half dose for the frugal is all you would need.
With that kind of driving in a your port-injected engine, go with 5w20 (the spec) for 15k miles with a full synthetic. Smart to use a Fram Ultra, oversized to add to it's capability.

Go 12.5k miles between changes and make it an easy twice a year interval

Originally Posted by Patman

You seem to have already made up your mind before you even started this thread.

I agree! He only wants to buy the cheaper stuff. So Supertech it-is.
I would change it 3 times per year - each time at around 8.5K. I wouldn't run Supertech to 10K. But that's me, 1st and last owner of my vehicles.

non di turbo- have a can of bgmoa on hand as a tbn booster if you get to 10k miles and want to push that off a bit. I have used it as an extender when I was a work aholic and didn't have time for oil changes and/or other things.

Twice a year oil changes with M1 EP or AP, regardless of miles. With M1's twice a year rebates you're near clearance territory.

Just get M1 EP and an M1 EP filter and change it every 15K miles. After the rebates our local Meijer sells both (filter+ 5Qjug) for under $20.

You didn't say if it consumes any oil. If it does stay with an inexpensive bargain HM 5w30 synthetic. If it doesn't use oil then go with the Amsoil or other quality long drain oil. Either way you can keep it to twice yearly with say a Frame Ultra filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back