New Forum Member New Truck Owner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Howdy folks. I am new to this forum. A lot has changed since I bought my last new truck. That truck was a 1986 1 ton Chevy 4x4 with a 454 and a manual transmission. It is pretty much a farm use truck now. It is not something that I want to drive to town in. For my everyday use truck I bought a 2018 Chevy 3500 4x4 work truck with a 6.0 in it. A lot has changed in lubrication technology. I want this truck to out last me and I want to take care of it. I am interested in extended drain intervals for hard use or whatever they call it. The truck will haul and tow. It may idle for periods of time. I am looking for an oil that provides bang for the buck, or a good value. When I go to town I can locally get Pennzoil, Mobil One, Valvoline, and store brand synthetics. My filter choices are Fram, wix, and store brand. Like I said, things have changed since the days of 10w-40 Valvoline conventional and AC Delco filter.

welcome2.gif
to BITOG.

Use a quality oil made for extended drain intervals and it would be a good idea to do a couple of UOA's to see where the safe limit is under your towing conditions. Use a Dexos 2 oil in the grade specified in your manual for severe duty / towing.

Any brand meeting the Dexos 2 is a stout oil but the UOA will show you which one is up to the task of longer drain intervals.

I would combines this with a Fram Ultra filter.

I would suggest Amsoil Signature Series if you are ok with shipping it to your door. The cost per mile on their extended drain intervals is excellent and it is definitely up to the task of severe duty. They make some quality lubricants both for the engine, transmission and differentials. They stand behind their products and state on their website and in writing that their oils will not void warranties even under extended drain interval regiments. They also have an oil analysis lab.

Enjoy your new ride!

Last edited:
Thank you for the welcome. First new truck in decades so I want to take care of it. Basic work truck with vinyl seat, rubber floor mat and roll up windows.

I assume it calls for Dexos 1? If so, use a quality oil with that on the bottle at whatever the OLM dictates while under warranty. You can experiment with extended drains once you are through warranty IMHO.

I'm a fan of Mobil's EP product line, but there are plenty of excellent oils out there from all the majors, you can't go wrong choosing an approved one.

Hard to go wrong following the viscosity and drain interval recommendation in the manual for severe service. I'd go with Pennzoil pure plus (GTL) synthetic in the recommended viscosity and change per the severe schedule. Choose Wix over Fram for filtration.

Good point about sticking with the Chevy oil change interval while under warranty. In that case my guess is that as long as the synthetic oil meets GM specs, then whatever the country Napa store has would be fine. They have a few name brand synthetics, Napa brand syn, and their Napa Wix filters.

welcome2.gif

any synthetic that says dexos1 gen2 on it will be fine. Even store brands will be dexos1 licensed
smile.gif

Wix filters are good stuff. Use them with confidence.

FarmerDude:

Under no circumstances should you, or anyone else, use Amsoil's non-certified motor oil in your vehicle while under warranty. Although technically correct by Amsoil claiming your OEM warranty will not be voided by using their product, that's only a half truth. The truth is, any engine related failure by use of a non-certified oil could, and in all likelihood, void the OEM coverage for that specific problem if discovered.

Amsoil's Limited Warranty isn't worth the paper it's written on. Here's one limitation in particular that covers most of their bases:

"The Consumer is solely responsible for determining a product's merchantability or fitness ("suitability") for a particular purpose and assumes all risks and liabilities when used other than in strict accordance with either the written recommendations of AMSOIL or the OEM for warranty coverage."

Stick to a DEXOS rated oil, as others have stated, to remain in compliance with your warranty. All major brands are probably equally as good.

Originally Posted by FarmerDude
Napa brand syn, and their Napa Wix filters.

Nothing wrong with these choices. If you create an account with them they will send you deals, they send me 10% off if I reserve online and pick up in store at least once a week. They also run pretty good specials on their Napa oil/filters a couple times a year.

I was wondering about that stuff. I get a bad feeling about Amsoil. They way the company is run reminds me of Amway, Marry Kay, those old cookware and mop sellers that use to come to your door. The multilevel marketing thing bothers me. Thanks for the help. Here is to wood getting cut, crops being planted, and another long lasting truck.

ndfergy said:
FarmerDude:

Under no circumstances should you, or anyone else, use Amsoil's non-certified motor oil in your vehicle while under warranty. Although technically correct by Amsoil claiming your OEM warranty will not be voided by using their product, that's only a half truth. The truth is, any engine related failure by use of a non-certified oil could, and in all likelihood, void the OEM coverage for that specific problem if discovered.

Amsoil's Limited Warranty isn't worth the paper it's written on. Here's one limitation in particular that covers most of their bases:

"The Consumer is solely responsible for determining a product's merchantability or fitness ("suitability") for a particular purpose and assumes all risks and liabilities when used other than in strict accordance with either the written recommendations of AMSOIL or the OEM for warranty coverage."

Stick to a DEXOS rated oil, as others have stated, to remain in compliance with your warranty. All major brands are probably equally as good.

Originally Posted by ndfergy
FarmerDude:

PANIC!

Please show some evidence of someone's engine, #1 - failing due to using Amsoil, and #2 - their engine warranty being denied because they used Amsoil and #3 - how their dealer figured out they were using Amsoil and what tests they used to do so.

Only then will your knee-jerk response hold water.

I was wondering about that stuff. I get a bad feeling about Amsoil. They way the company is run reminds me of Amway, Marry Kay, those old cookware and mop sellers that use to come to your door. The multilevel marketing thing bothers me. Thanks for the help. Here is to wood getting cut, crops being planted, and another long lasting truck.

ndfergy said:
FarmerDude:

Either the poster has not delt with a OEM on a engine warranty claim or has not learned it's up to the OEM to prove it is the customers fault. The common retort is the OEM has deep pockets to litigate a claim. OEM's have to budget thier money and resources just like everyone else. Being tied up with a customer who has vaild maintenance records using a product with a good reputation in case where the burden is already against the manufacture is penny wise pound foolish on many levels it's not worth pursuing. Litigation will be better utilized defending against multimillion dollar lawsuits and denying obvious mantaince claims.

Originally Posted by dave1251

ndfergy said:
FarmerDude:

Either the poster has not delt with a OEM on a engine warranty claim or has not learned it's up to the OEM to prove it is the customers fault. The common retort is the OEM has deep pockets to litigate a claim. OEM's have to budget thier money and resources just like everyone else. Being tied up with a customer who has vaild maintenance records using a product with a good reputation in case where the burden is already against the manufacture is penny wise pound foolish on many levels it's not worth pursuing. Litigation will be better utilized defending against multimillion dollar lawsuits and denying obvious mantaince claims.

Quite right. While that statement is valid, you are far more likely to see an OEM take issue with something that has been obviously abused vs that which has fresh, clean oil in it of a known brand.

There's a marked difference between a negligent driver using City Star non-API garbagew30 in their engine at twice the OEM interval and somebody running the OLM out on a premium aftermarket synthetic like AMSOIL, Redline..etc.

Originally Posted by JLTD
Originally Posted by ndfergy
FarmerDude:

PANIC!

Please show some evidence of someone's engine, #1 - failing due to using Amsoil, and #2 - their engine warranty being denied because they used Amsoil and #3 - how their dealer figured out they were using Amsoil and what tests they used to do so.

Only then will your knee-jerk response hold water.

+1 This nonsense never dies. It's ridiculous how a company like Amsoil has been around since the 1970's and has increasing sales year after year all on word of mouth marketing, furthermore they wouldn't have this warranty if it was opening them up for liability, and show me the stories of engine/transmission/diff implosions. I can show you tons of forums where folks are raving about the quality of their products. Especially in the off-road community where severe gear regularly outperforms other fluids. Give me a break. Gotta love the Boogie man scare tactics. No OE is going to deny you engine warranty if the internals are clean and look like maintenance was done. They would only question the oil if there were heaps of sludge due to lack of maintenance. PERIOD.

FWIW my experience with Amsoil in my Santa Fe both with engine oil and ATF was stellar. I'm currently using Signature Series 0w20 in my brand new Highlander and it's a $65K SUV. I have full confidence it's a quality lubricant doing far better than the off the shelf lubricants. (Personal opinion from past experiences). My UOA on here is posted for my Journey that was just in an accident. 4ppm Iron, the rest 0's for wear metals and a very strong remaining TBN after 9K. (https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/attachments/usergals/2017/12/full-22880-16874-report_2a.png)

Last edited:
Quick question. I came on here asking advice on oil and filter for my new farm truck. I got that advice. How and why did this turn into a bash Amsoil thread? Way off topic folks. Lunch is over, time to cut grass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back