I wonder why

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering why some manufacturers like Ford and others put on different filters at the factory than you can buy at the store or dealerships.
Eg. The motorcraft filters Ford suggest using are not what Ford puts on at the factory. At least not made the same. Is it just necessary for break in or something? Really just curious.

Perhaps the filter has some tweaks to allow it to capture more particles during break in without becoming clogged?

I've not noticed this, but I'm curious now

You can buy the same oil filter that Ford builds their cars with at the factory, you just have to buy a Wix filter not a Motorcraft.

"It may have something to do with assembly on the line and/or shipping the engine from assembly plant to assembly plant."

Saginawmale50 is correct, at least for some GM models.

Having been a member of a Traverse/Enclave/Acadia forum this question was asked. The answer was because the engines are shipped with the filter on, and the shipping "crate" was designed for a certain size filter. Replacement filters were different than the ones from the factory.

Originally Posted by Ablebody
Just wondering why some manufacturers like Ford and others put on different filters at the factory than you can buy at the store or dealerships.
Eg. The motorcraft filters Ford suggest using are not what Ford puts on at the factory. At least not made the same. Is it just necessary for break in or something? Really just curious.

Subaru seems to come from the factory with a black Subaru filter but the ones I buy on Amazon are blue. And I am told the insides are not identical.

However its not something I loose sleep over.

Of course, the tens of thousands of filters that Ford or GM or Chrysler buy for
their engine assembly plants could have a 'cost' factor involved as well as
break-in or assembly considerations.

My 2¢

Agreed. It probably has more to do with whatever volume deal they can get from a manufacturer, just like any other part they source.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Ford and others do this in case there is a warranty claim, they can prove that someone never changed the oil.

That's what a Ford dealer service manager told me. He said you'd be surprised how many lease vehicles come in with damaged engines only to find the factory oil and filter is still in the lease vehicle 30,000 miles later
crazy2.gif
. And the people claiming that they did regular oil and filter changes. Ugh, you just bought yourself an engine repair or replacement. I can guarantee it'll be the more expensive option since YOU'RE paying for it
lol.gif

Whimsey

Ford and others do this in case there is a warranty claim, they can prove that someone never changed the oil.

Bingo!
By using an oil filter of a color and with labeling not otherwise available, a manufacturer can easily detect a case of its never having been changed in the event of an engine warranty claim.

I don't buy it... so the warranty claim can be denied just because the oil filter on the engine has the same part number as the one installed at the factory?
Or, are we saying the filter model installed at the factory 100% can NOT EVER be purchased by consumers, period?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by AVB
Ours have "Factory Installed" printed on them.

LOL then any Chevrolet Dealers ship should have it on their parts list and be willing to install it.

Originally Posted by Donald
Originally Posted by Ablebody

Subaru seems to come from the factory with a black Subaru filter but the ones I buy on Amazon are blue. And I am told the insides are not identical.

However its not something I loose sleep over.

The black filters made by tokyo roki are supposed to be superior to the blue ones made by i believe honeywell. I'm getting a new Crosstrek soon and will hopefully source the Tokyo Roki filters.

Originally Posted by wdn
You can buy the same oil filter that Ford builds their cars with at the factory, you just have to buy a Wix filter not a Motorcraft.

Are factory Ford filters Champions?

Originally Posted by dwendt44
Of course, the tens of thousands of filters that Ford or GM or Chrysler buy for
their engine assembly plants could have a 'cost' factor involved as well as
break-in or assembly considerations.

My 2¢

I think we have a winner! It has to do with supplier volume pricing. All the filter has to do is meet spec. The consumer aftermarket is a different arena than the factory supplier market. The volume, distribution, and marketing are all different. The savings to the company can be in the millions. For example, Wix might have a more competitive way to ship bulk to a factory than Purolator. Purolator may have a better deal on store/dealership distribution to the consumer market, and may have competitive advantages in packaging and marketing. As long as both filters meet the car maker's spec, one supplier may be more competitive than the other in a specific arena. Each arena has different requirements, even if the job of the product is the same.

It doesn't take much savings per filter to add up when you are turning out millions of vehicles per year, or in the case of a particular model, hundreds of thousands. If Ford makes 1,000,000 3.5 Ecoboosts that use the same filter, and 50 cents can be saved per oil filter, that's an easy half million dollars. Why wouldn't a company leverage this kind of specialization to capitalize on significant savings?

Originally Posted by fdcg27

Bingo!
By using an oil filter of a color and with labeling not otherwise available, a manufacturer can easily detect a case of its never having been changed in the event of an engine warranty claim.

There is less money to be saved with that idea than in saving a small amount per filter from a more competitive OEM supplier. There isn't enough return on investment in that issue or strategy. It isn't necessary. There are other easy ways to prove someone didn't change the oil. Save cost by getting the best supplier deal, then use other ways at the dealer level to evaluate warranty claims.

Some hilarious responses. The filters come from the cheapest supplier who could meet the published specification. That's it.

A filter's color is not any verifiable indication of changed oil, there's no seal on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back