2006 VW Jetta 1.9 TDI Schaeffers 5W 40

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my first oil sample on this car. Using Schaeffers 5w 40. I ran the oil for 10k before the change. I deleted the EGR at 9,500 on this oil. Using a WIX filter. Was hoping to get some feedback on this oil report. Not too concerned about the metal wear, and was wondering if deleting EGR could cause a spike in certain metals. Thanks

When I started using Schaeffers about 5 years ago the bottle used to carry the VW approved specs. From my understanding there hasn't been a change in the oil, but Schaeffers no longer goes through the process of getting the VW certification. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm confident the oil exceeds the VW specs.

Deleting the EGR should reduce your wear metals and improve TBN retention.

It’s still 40w @ 10k miles so it held up. However the iron wear on these engines, esp with an EGR delete is usually a lot less.

Do you have a magnetic drain plug? If so, Was there any significant iron on the plug?
Did you notice any metals held in the filter?

High iron can be indicative of camshaft wear, which is a problem with these PD engines. Once the hard facing on the cam is worn through, failure is not far behind.

I don't have a Magnetic Drain Plug and I didn't notice any metals in the filter. The Camshaft was replaced 80k miles ago with a (BEW) cam from TDIFrank. The original cam had a little over 100k miles with very little wear. At that time I was running Castrol 505 5w30 VW approved oil from the dealer. Every since the cam swap I have been running Schaeffers 9000 5W40. Now that the EGR has been deleted I plan to run another 10k to see how the metals wear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back