How a VW DSG Transmission works

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have read of the problems Ford has had with dual clutch transmissions in the Focus .

What kind of luck has VW had with these ?

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
I have read of the problems Ford has had with dual clutch transmissions in the Focus .

Excellent. Change the fluid and filter on time.

The dual mass flywheels can start to come apart with higher mileage. Some do, some don't.

Originally Posted by WyrTwister

Ford uses a dry clutch in its DCT, VW (and most others) a wet clutch. Makes a huge difference and many thanks to Ford for sullying the DCT's reputation.

interesting as wet clutch packs are like motorcycles use!! as for reliability cheaper aka focus vs a bit costlier vw is the story. i see these units in SERIOUS powered $$$$ cars again more $$$$ better built!!! i will stick to a simple manual box with a single relatively cheap clutch to replace sooner or later depending on driving habits!!

You are starting to see VW's with DSG's hitting 200k miles and original transmissions nowadays. I know that isn't the case for everyone but you usually only read about the gripes online.

DSG's like other Dual Clutch systems were problematic at first but they have ironed out the bugs like everything else. Well except on the Ford Focus it seems.
lol.gif

Guy at work has one that he just had to replace.

I think it's a bad design, especially on things like the Amarok, which people are buying to haul things.

An automatic transmission has a torque converter....they slip with the clutch packs locked.

Imagine how long an auto tranny would last if they pulled the torque converter, and started off in first/reverse slipping the clutches/bands...

New and clever does not make it mechanically a good design

Originally Posted by Shannow
Guy at work has one that he just had to replace.

I think it's a bad design, especially on things like the Amarok, which people are buying to haul things.

An automatic transmission has a torque converter....they slip with the clutch packs locked.

Imagine how long an auto tranny would last if they pulled the torque converter, and started off in first/reverse slipping the clutches/bands...

New and clever does not make it mechanically a good design

I disagree. There are lots of them in service and they are just fine. I'm sure your work colleague just happened to get a bad one or we would be seeing all sorts of them imploding like we did with early Nissan CVT's or Ford Focus Dual Clutch and that hasn't been the case for other OE's.

Originally Posted by benjy
interesting as wet clutch packs are like motorcycles use!! as for reliability cheaper aka focus vs a bit costlier vw is the story. i see these units in SERIOUS powered $$$$ cars again more $$$$ better built!!! i will stick to a simple manual box with a single relatively cheap clutch to replace sooner or later depending on driving habits!!

So do automatic transmissions, MC clutch pack is very similar. Most torque converters built in the last 30+ years use a wet clutch plate inside also that can engage in every forward gear usually except first.
Citroen built a full manual 3 speed box with a torque converter and no clutch pedal and no auto shift feature, you had to shift it up and down like any other manual.
The thing was was absolutely bulletproof and the engine strong enough not to need more than 3 speeds. IIRC VW had a semi automatic also.

A well designed and built wet clutch can out live a dry plate many times over especially if its computer controlled.

Originally Posted by benjy

Your time is running out as manual boxes are becoming extinct. More manufacturers are moving away from the manuals

!!!!!!!!

Yeah the generation after me (I'm sandwich generation) is responsible for this. A lot of them have a hard time just operating a vehicle let alone something with a stick.
lol.gif

Originally Posted by StevieC
I disagree. There are lots of them in service and they are just fine. I'm sure your work colleague just happened to get a bad one or we would be seeing all sorts of them imploding like we did with early Nissan CVT's or Ford Focus Dual Clutch and that hasn't been the case for other OE's.

I said that I think it's a bad design...as an engineer, it's not what I consider a rational design, for the reasons that I stated.

"Pile of failed engines" translated to "all sorts of them imploding" does not support you disagreeing with me that it's a poor design.

What makes you think it IS a sound design...engineering terms will be fine, but strawmen isn't argument.

workmate's car is not the only one of a rare bunch.

They are considered a dud down here...

https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-advice/q-and-a/golf-dsg-transmission-problems-41494

You have a reasonable claim against VW to have the gearbox replaced free of charge. The DSG gearbox is known to be troublesome and yours has a history of malfunctioning. Because the car is seven years old and VW isn't very forthcoming on customer issues you will have to suit up and take them on, but the DSG transmission is a dud and the company knows it, and they should come clean and fix cars like yours that are having problems.

https://www.driving.co.uk/car-clini...-dsgaudi-automatic-gearboxes-been-fixed/

VW have more "product testing engineers" on the road than any other manufacturer. They sell their gear "underdone", then customers have to battle to get them rectified, which is followed by another revision, and then more customer on the road testing.

Originally Posted by Shannow
StevieC said:
https://www.driving.co.uk/car-clini...-dsgaudi-automatic-gearboxes-been-fixed/

VW have more "product testing engineers" on the road than any other manufacturer. They sell their gear "underdone", then customers have to battle to get them rectified, which is followed by another revision, and then more customer on the road testing.

From the link, "VW changed the type of oil used from a synthetic to a mineral one, which cured the problem". Now that's not something you read every day.

Are VW units unique or an amalgamation of manufacture components (Getrag, BorgWarner, Luk, etc) ??

Originally Posted by StevieC
Yeah the generation after me (I'm sandwich generation) is responsible for this. A lot of them have a hard time just operating a vehicle let alone something with a stick.
lol.gif

I blame the previous generations for having so many kids
lol.gif
. I love driving stick, but on the congested roads lately there is almost no point.

On the DSG topic, mine has been great so far (20k miles). One of my friends had an earlyish version with an 08 R32. I forget what but he had to have repaired, and then it was fluid changes something like every 15k miles. But In my research of the current DSG I didn't find any crazy issues. I'll probably change my fluid more like 30k miles instead of the recommended 40k.

We had a leased Focus with the DCT. It was honestly great *when it worked*. Once it started having issues, the dealer could never fix it. I loved that car for what it was, its a real shame they messed up the transmission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back