General opinion about Cooper CS5 Ultra?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My parents Lincoln MKC needs new tires badly and the OEM Michelin's have worn out at 45,000 miles. I just happened to find a take off set of Cooper CS5 Ultra tires for silly cheap on Facebook market place, asking $150 for the set. They have a 2017 date code so they are not old stock. Tread looks great in the pictures.

All the tire reviews online have me a little worried. It's either a 50/50 shot if people are complaining that the tire is awful, loud, wore out to quickly. Or, if the tires are fantastic and lasted 60,000+ miles and have been a great set of tires.

These online reviews have me torn if I should take the chance on this set of tires or keep looking. What do you all think

Great set of tires.
Got them mounted on an '03 Camry v6 about a year ago.
Quiet, smooth, excellent grip in the snow.
Very satisfied.
Would buy again.

For $150, scoop them up.

That is not a bad price at all
smile.gif

The CS5 Ultra is very popular on here. The Official Tire of BITOG
laugh.gif

pleased so far ... quiet. absorbs well. Much better than my prior tires (generals) .

My previous set of coopers were garbage, but for $200 AR installed, I gave them another try. Worked out well

Ive been pleased with the CS4 and CS5 tires. Quality tire, good ride and traction, low cost, US made.

That's about what the tires are worth so the value is there. I have tried Coopers in the past. I was on the losing end of the 50/50.

Would you buy a meal at a restaurant that served cheap food but 50% time it was delicious and 50% of the time you got diarrhea? Ok, I may be a little over the top.

I'd keep looking for the nearest Michelin Dealer.

I have them on my summer wheels on Malibu 255/35/20. Great tires, first set i got was bad but switched them out for another set and they are great. Got.....7K on them and i like em.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Propflux01
Ask the question first: why were they taken off the wheels in the first place?

Yeah that has me curious....

Had a pair on the kid's Kia Sportage. Local dealers wanted more for Cooper than Goodyears at Sam's Club so I got the Goodyears when it was time for replacement. The Coopers were fine, no complaints, just couldn't justify spending more for what I perceive as a 2nd tier brand. For $150, I'd roll the dice.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Propflux01
Ask the question first: why were they taken off the wheels in the first place?

Personally, I'd be less interested in how good or bad the CS5 is than what the circumstance is around these tires. It seems Facebook Marketplace can be a kinder, gentler Craigslist with the same drawbacks. I have a good used tire place near me that's been in business for 30 years and I'd trust them implicitly....buying off Facebook, Craigslist, or some form of digital want ad...much less so.

Originally Posted by Gebo

Would you buy a meal at a restaurant that served cheap food but 50% time it was delicious and 50% of the time you got diarrhea? Ok, I may be a little over the top.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger?
thumbsup2.gif

We have used CS5's on multiple cars with good results especially concerning winter snow and ice
when replacing oem tires.

I took the trip to buy the tires after asking multiple time why the tires were removed from a customers car and was told tires are in perfect shape. When I arrived I could immediately tell why the previous customer had the tires removed. Two have severe cupping on the inside block of tread. Obviously, if I was to install them on my parents Lincoln there would have been a ton of road and tire noise. I declined and went home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back