Audi A4 vs Volkswagen CC...or good old Passat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking to replace my Lincoln soon. I have a list of possible candidates down to 4 or 5 now (been looking quite a while), but those I mentioned in the thread title are highest in contention. Looking mostly at 2015 models to let someone else take the huge depreciation hit.

Love the Audi, would want a Premium Plus Quattro in the A4. If money were no consideration at all, the discussion would be over right here. I can afford one, but have never spent that much on a car before and am also concerned about ownership costs, even though it is probably the highest rated German sedan for reliability, bar none. I am not sure I am comfortable spending that much on a car. I did tell the wife before we drove the Audi that this was probably gonna wreck me for anything else ha ha.

The VW CC is about as close to an Audi as you can get in a VW, our family has a long history with VW and it is a stunning car in it's own right. The one I drove did not drive quite as well as the Audi, was less polished overall and notably noisier on the road. But it also yields about 5 to 7k in purchase price savings all other things being equal. No AWD either, unless I manage to find an example of the rare VR6 4 motion but then purchase price advantage fades considerably. Being a true German car like the Audi, I'm not sure cost of ownership would be much better than the Audi, please help me on that point.

Then there's the Passat. Quite a car, just plain solid goodness, not as exciting to me as the others but I really liked the ones I drove and easily the most practical choice of the bunch. Not sure I am really wanting to be that practical this time around, but I don't think I would really be suffering in one either.

I was raised on VW's and Audi's but have not owned one in 32 years now. Feel like I am coming home. I would appreciate any and all input or experiences with these cars or similar.

Thanks!

Owned 5 VWs and 4 Audis, 1964 through 2008.

Quality peaked 13 years ago. Stopped buying them. Never looked back.

The decision is reinforced every time I experience the simplicity of maintaining Kias and Hyundais.

Keep in mind that the current Passat is not a variation of the A4. It is a variation of the Jetta.

Also, you will need VAG-COM to link a laptop to your car for certain maintenance, like changing brake pads.

I have a shop nearby that specializes in servicing and selling German cars. They have some Audi's, VW's and a nice Porsche 911 available. And the cars move quick since they're so nice to deal with and have a good reputation. Via their bbb, yelp, and google reviews. Not just local buyers either. Father, son shop.

https://www.iautocars.com/sales/inventory.php

Last edited:
The new A4 drives very well and has the typical Audi awesome interior. I wouldn't mind owning one, but I am not a big fan of the turbo. Make sure to get the digital cockpit option.

Wife's Q5 has been rock solid.

We have had real good experiences with KIA/Hyundai also. My wife is currently in one and I will replace her van with another KIA. One of the cars I didn't mention was the Cadenza. Finally drove one, liked it, but a totally different kind of car in a luxo-cruiser type. Very nice and IMO the equal of the Lexus I also drove.

Digital cockpit? Was not even aware of it. Is it part of a package? How can you tell when you have it?

A Lexus GS 350 2007+ RWD is another contender. Just use www.autotrader.com and fill in the appropriate search parameters. I like all the other cars mentioned but this would be my favorite.

Originally Posted by KCJeep
Digital cockpit? Was not even aware of it. Is it part of a package?
On the Premium Plus trim, it's part of the Navigation package. On the Prestige trim, it's standard.

How can you tell when you have it?
You can tell because there are no physical gauges in the instrument cluster.

None of the above. I don't say this disrespectfully, but the German cars tend to have a high failure rate of components. There is a tendancy to over engineer some things, and then to under engineer on others. From the legendary plastic parts in the VW (including engine parts) to the sludge bucket passats and so on.

Unless you have an unlimited wallet and don't mind the sacrifice of time and $ for repairs. The handling can't be beat though. Depends on where you are at in life. If you want a low maint car that is reliable, go for a well reviewed Japanese car. My .02

Last edited:
Originally Posted by knerml

The decision is reinforced every time I experience the simplicity of maintaining Kias and Hyundais.

Keep in mind that the current Passat is not a variation of the A4. It is a variation of the Jetta.

Also, you will need VAG-COM to link a laptop to your car for certain maintenance, like changing brake pads.

Well said. I bought a used Jetta as my first German car, and it will be my last German car. I love the Germans. Work closely with them. But on cars, they tend to get a little too cute on the over engineering and innovation. Quality is not where it should be. Some things are brilliantly engineered and simply incredible. Other things leave you scratching your head asking W-T-F were these guys thinking?

I give a lot of kudos on my Jetta, they made user accessibility and DIY much easier on many things. Also the safety on that car gets great reviews. I joke that it's just like an old DDR tank.

Originally Posted by lairdwd
Other things leave you scratching your head asking W-T-F were these guys thinking?
I could say the same about my Dodge.

I'm sure you could say the same about just about any brand out there.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Other things leave you scratching your head asking W-T-F were these guys thinking?

Actually, I don't really. Sure there are hits and misses for every mfr. But the German cars seem to universally have a high rate of defects. Using plastic engine parts (i.e. the infamous 'crack pipe' coolant flange on the the MKIV, MKV jettas and others? ) simply baffels me. That's my take anyways. To each his own.

I had VW CC 2.0T with DSG. It was really good stout car. No issues what so ever in 116000 miles, but I wanted BMW.
Now take into consideration that Audi and VW models parted way dramatically with Passat B6. B5 had same platform as Audi and I had Passat B5.5. It is Audi, with just bit cheaper interior. Longitudinal engine, ZF transmission, Torsen diff.
B6 and its variants, including CC have transverse engine and Haldex AWD system. They do share 2.0T engine with A4, though A4 later had more power (211hp, 258lb-ft compared to CC 200hp and 207lb-ft). However, while A4 had ZF 8 speed or manual, CC was coming with DSG or manual. DSG was much faster then ZF8 in A4, though DSG requires fluid change every 40-50k comapre to 60-75k in A4. Also, DSG is not really capable to tow.
VR6 CC comes with AWD. It is OK AWD, but engine is dated (though very good sound) and adds weight to front. 2.0T feels lighter on feet, especially because VR6 comes with Aisin (Toyota) transmission which is far cry from ZF8 in Audi or DSG in 2.0T CC.
If you go with CC make sure chain tensioner is changed if car is made on 2012 or before.

im happy with my passat, but i suggest the refreshed 2016 over a 2015. also suggest a cpo for peace of mind.

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
A Lexus GS 350 2007+ RWD is another contender. Just use www.autotrader.com and fill in the appropriate search parameters. I like all the other cars mentioned but this would be my favorite.

None of the above. I don't say this disrespectfully, but the German cars tend to have a high failure rate of components. There is a tendancy to over engineer some things, and then to under engineer on others. From the legendary plastic parts in the VW (including engine parts) to the sludge bucket passats and so on.

Unless you have an unlimited wallet and don't mind the sacrifice of time and $ for repairs. The handling can't be beat though. Depends on where you are at in life. If you want a low maint car that is reliable, go for a well reviewed Japanese car. My .02

Originally Posted by knerml

Well said. I bought a used Jetta as my first German car, and it will be my last German car. I love the Germans. Work closely with them. But on cars, they tend to get a little too cute on the over engineering and innovation. Quality is not where it should be. Some things are brilliantly engineered and simply incredible. Other things leave you scratching your head asking W-T-F were these guys thinking?

I give a lot of kudos on my Jetta, they made user accessibility and DIY much easier on many things. Also the safety on that car gets great reviews. I joke that it's just like an old DDR tank.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete

Actually, I don't really. Sure there are hits and misses for every mfr. But the German cars seem to universally have a high rate of defects. Using plastic engine parts (i.e. the infamous 'crack pipe' coolant flange on the the MKIV, MKV jettas and others? ) simply baffels me. That's my take anyways. To each his own.
This is a thread regarding a choice between three VW models, not a "should I VW or not thread" or a "German cars are over engineered trash" thread. If you don't like VWs great, can the people who do like VWs have a discussion without the appliance crowd giving their .02? Whining about German cars adds nothing to this thread.

Last edited:

So I got Toyota SIenna two weeks ago as it is practical vehicle.
So, this is not my first rodeo in Japanese car, I own Land Cruiser (Prado) in Europe with diesel engine and owned Mazda before. While LC is actual vehicle, Sienna is far cry from anything resembling properly assembled vehicle.
Good:
Practical.
Not so good:
It has thousands air bags and beeping sounds. I have a feeling if I [censored] it will warn me I might suffocate. However, while vehicle is making sure I do not suffocate from my [censored], brakes are nowhere to be found. I would gladly replace all those beeping sounds for worst brakes I had on any VW model I ever had, and that would be Skoda Octavia 1.9tdi.
It is 8 inches longer, few wider, one or two taller then my previous car, BMW X5. However, it is some 550lbs lighter. Pressing finger on body kind of answers question as body is so thin, that I am afraid that the fact that I am living in hail capital of the U.S. might prove detrimental to my safety as I am not sure whether hail might just go through that body.
Handling? What handling?
Power? What power?
Suspension? It is like everything is falling apart, but unfortunately that is how it suppose to be.
Every time I set in my wife's Tiguan after driving X5 I would think how loosely assembled Tiguan is. Sitting in Tiguan after Toyota feels like sitting in a tank! And Sienna is 2015 and Tiguan 2011.
However, Sienna is practical.
Now the worst:
Some "engineer" figured that positioning oil filter without any protection 5 inches from the ground is smart move. Talk about stupid!

Last edited:
I have a 2012 CC 2.0T. I've owned it less than 1 year.

It was a mistake, and I'll be selling it soon.

I've only driven the car about 2000 miles. It has a total of 82,000 miles. In just the past nine months, I've had a failure of the clockspring in the steering wheel and the rear wheel sensor. The car has had a total of 7 recalls. The clockspring was replaced under recall in 2015 and failed AGAIN. This time, VW wouldn't pay for it. I bought the $300 part and replaced it myself. However, my scan tool could not recalibrate the steering wheel position sensor. It must be done with a factory scan tool. I therefore had to take it to a dealer, who charged $115 for what was *literally* a 5-minute job.

Throw in the issue with the timing chain tensioner (VW can't tell me whether my car has the old style that is prone to fail or the improved version -- they changed over production some time in 2012 but cannot tell me which one is installed in my car based on its VIN).

So, I'm done. The car is a blast to drive, but I won't have a car that I can't work on. I absolutely HATE dealerships.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back