Options versus dealer oil changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wife's 14 CR V got totaled last week. She's OK, some whiplash, but thankfully the ol' boy that ran the stop sign had insurance. Getting that cleared up and the wife picked out a 2018 new CR V with the CVT, first time for me. Anyway, the dealership offers lifetime engine/transmission warranties IF I let them do all the fluid changes and scheduled Honda maintenance, which I've usually done myself. Is there anyway of still keeping the dealer promise if I perform those maintenance items myself? Just hate wasting all that money for oil changes and all that at the dealer versus saving and doing it myself but at the same time, don't want to miss out on that dealer warranty either. Something tells me that some of ya'll will say just spend the money and let them do it, and I'd be OK with that. Curious.

That's a question for the dealer, not us, I would think. It's their warranty, so they know the terms and conditions.

A small time dealer offering a so called "lifetime warranty". I doubt they ever lose money on a customer. All they have to do is say "no" and then it's up to you to go after them in court. No way they will pay up. The fine print probably has so many loopholes in it for this very reason. Also prob requires arbitration to limit their liability. I'm sure their attorneys have them covered.

Just do the maintenance yourself. This is just a marketing money maker for them. Some of those maintenance packages are around $500.

Here's more about this program:

https://www.eskridgehonda.com/why-buy-new

Last edited:
It's not worth it. Usually they require you to do the service packages, not standalone oil changes, in order to maintain coverage. Those service packages usually include all sorts of extras such as snake oil.

It'll cost you tons of money for the lifetime warranty with every single fluid change when the dealer says so. You miss anything and you're out. Not only oil/filter changes but tranny, p/s, differential & transfer case fluids too. Maybe other maintenance too. When they say!

We have similar warranties in my area. Some cover the lifetime drivetrain of the vehicle, some cover the lifetime of the tires but, you have to do all of the fluids and maintenance that I listed above. And then with the tires, instead of getting all 4, you may only get 1 or 2 when in fact you want all 4 tires for an upcoming winter. Then they replace with crapola tires. It's a bait & switch. The dealer say you will get a compatible tire........YEAH RIGHT!

So not worth it. For the cost of doing their recommended services for a couple years you could probably buy a new engine or transmission. Besides it's pretty unlikely you will have issues with the engine/transmission and even more unlikely they will fix it for free.

Do the maintenance yourself and save that money.

Forget about it. Screw the dealer, darn crooks (and yes, I had pretty bad experience being a first time vehicle buyer in US). I learned the lesson and was smarter second time around.

Yea, I'm with everyone else. No way. Spend a few hours on a Saturday every few months and maintain it yourself. You can still take in for transmission service, everything else DIY.

The warranty purpose is simply to get your vehicle in their bay at their prescribed intervals and pay them for the service and opportunity to get add on work. If you miss one thing bringing in the warranty is null and void typically.

Last edited:
I believe the dealer would NOT let you do all the work and still give you a lifetime engine/ transmission warranty. However: You stated you must have the dealer do "ALL THE HONDA SCHEDULED" Maintenance. Than might be acceptable IF you worded that correctly because you are NOT obligated to pay for suggested add-ons. I would get your statement clarified in writing. Not all dealers are conspirators with an evil agenda. Ed

There is a lady who works with me who fell for this "lifetime warranty" on her Prius.

She spends easily $250+ every time she walks through the door. The car is so ridiculously over-maintained... its hilarious.

Her maintenance budget is so high, she might as well be driving an old Aston Martin Lagonda or a Range Rover.

My 86 year old aunt bought a new Accord back in 2002. She takes it in every six months for an oil change along with all those inspections at the dealer. So each visit is around $60-70 but includes rotation I believe. Car has 70k on it I believe. But still runs like a top. So not too bad. She goes by time instead of miles with the oil changes. Probably only puts on a few thousand miles every six months. But at least she does it right.

I tried to tell her to just get the oil changed with tire rotation but she didn't want to hear that. Better that than the other way around. You know under-maintaining it.

Last edited:
My dealer wanted me to spend 499.00 for lifetime oil changes. Said no thanks and then they said they would throw it in for free. Still have no use for it. I like doing my own.

Even a dealership manager once told me it's not worth it to pay for the extra warranty. Like an earlier post said all it takes is for them to say no and you are on your own. And if they do cover it, is it both parts and labor or just parts?

A gasket may cost $10 but takes 3 hours of labor, if that's the case thanks but no thanks, I'd rather do it myself or let an indie shop do it.

Also just throwing it out there: Local jeep dealership offers a lifetime powertrain warranty through a third party company. There's a lot of fine print

1. It must be serviced at the dealer
2. The technician servicing the vehicle must be an ASE certified master tech. Good luck getting one to do your oil. If you don't ask, you won't get it
3. All services must be done on time and according to the manufacturer's interval. Over by a mile? The whole thing is void
4. Power drain depends on what the manufacturer defines
5. All parts and fluids must be OE

Again... Read into the magnuson moss warranty act. Really not sure how it would apply here since it's not a standard warranty. But it's good to be versed

There's a Ford dealership near me that does something similar, but not just on new cars.. They also do it on almost all the used cars they sell. They offer a lifetime powertrain warranty on any car they sell, as long as you bring the car to them at regular, prescribed, intervals, to have them do the oil changes and regular maintenance. As long as you own the car, the powertrain is covered.

They're pretty clear about it too:

"All internally lubricated parts of the Engine, Transmission, and Drive Axle are covered for as long as you own the vehicle.
If you reside within a 35 mile radius of a Jones Auto Center Service Facility you must have maintenance performed there. These facilities are currently located in Buckeye, Wickenburg, and Casa Grande. If you are located outside a 35 mile radius the maintenance must be performed at a licensed repair facility. Receipts must be available as proof of maintenance.*
This excludes diesel engines, commercial use vehicles, vehicles with 100,000 miles or more at time of delivery, and vehicles over 9 years old. Your vehicle must be maintained according to all manufacturer's specifications and maintenance schedules*.
"

Now, being the person I am, and enjoying doing the maintenance myself, along with the associated savings, this deal is not really worth it to me... BUT, I can see someone who doesn't do their own maintenance, and follows the manufacturer-specified maintenance intervals closely, doing quite well with this kind of deal.

The question I have is - How many people like this are out there, who would actually keep the car long enough for a lifetime warranty like this to be useful?

On the other side, if you're willing to stipulate to this kind of maintenance, I'd say you'd feel pretty safe buying the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back