I'm on a Lawn Boy jag

Status
Not open for further replies.
I revived LB #1 back in July. All it took was a straight forward carb cleaning. 2 steps forward ,one step back stuff setting the governor. Looking for a recoil starter, I responded to a Craigslist ad for 2 old Lawn Boys for 30 bux. So far, I've gotten one them going. Then for the good un. A '94 Gold series 10415. Pretty clean but it came to me 6 yrs ago as a non-runner. I got it going yesterday after cleaning carb and coil . Easy going now. It is destined to be restored cosmetically. The last one is gonna be a challenge. It is a decontented model made for JC Penney. Instead of the bee-yoot-tifull cast aluminum Walbro carb , it has the dreaded plastic
carb that is mostly a throw-away. I hope to get it running,but expectations are low.
The Lawn Boy is a fine example of American workmanship. Designed for easy hand assembly of durable pieces. All down the line, keeping Americans working during the entire process. Making something.
grin2.gif

Last edited:
I have a LawnBoy silver series that I use for mowing the canal's steep banks. Works wonderfully for steep inclines, as there is no worry about loss of oil pressure or loss of splash lube. Plus, that thing's light weight and plentiful torque make mowing the tall, neglected grass easier.

I love that thing! Best mower I have.

Wish we were neighbors. I have 4, but technically 3 since the 1 isn't a 2 stroke.
laugh.gif

I have a non self propelled (less stuff to break) Dura Force I paid $20 for. 6.5 horse 2 stroke. Nothing to look at since it has a mismatched wheel and wooden handle. That thing mows just about anything though. My others are older F series models, but one is a commercial with the 1 gallon fuel tank, orange wheels, and engine guard.

*I want a brick top mower or "Snow Boy" snow blower next.

Last edited:
I bought a Lawn-Boy push mower with the Duraforce engine when I bought my first house in 03'. Great mower. I still have it but don't need a trim mower and don't use it at my new home.

My dad had one when I was growing up and I have this old service manual I got when I helped clean my parents attic. I have no use for it. I'll send it free to a select person on here
with a genuine desire for it if you PM me by 9/20/18.

DSC_0048.JPG

I can think of worse jags to be on.
Had one that I got used thirty two years ago and used it nine seasons on our 3/4 acre.
Retired it to the curb with a few issues.
Could have refurbed it and should have.
Liked the LB very much and it wouldn't hurt me to check out CL locally for old 2 strokes.
Wouldn't mind having another.

I have two Lawn Boys. A 1973 7262 and a 1975 5024 Bricktop that's my daily mower. Both fire right up on the first pull, but the magnesium deck on the 7262 is pretty rough. If all goes well, I will be restoring the Bricktop this winter but still use it as my main mower. Love the sound of those D400 and D600 engines when mowing. They have a bit of that 4 stroke burble going on like a chainsaw then smooth out and dig in when I hit heavier grass.

L8R,
Matt

IMG_0175.PNG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back