6 cylinder truck rant

Status
Not open for further replies.
As many know, the Ford 300 inline 6 was one of the better ones ever made. I never owned one myself, but had a number of friends and family that did. I think it was more durable for the long haul than the GM inlines. The addition of FI made it especially sweet. Around '87? My first FIL, towed a quite heavy boat with a 2wd F150 300. It's daddy, the 240 was great as well. Certainly more "revvable" than a 300.

This from a slant 6 guy, who's jealous on power but not durability.

Absolutely shocking. A car owner wishing to sell his vehicle that does not know the exact specifications of every system on said car.

My oh my, what is this world coming to.

Originally Posted by NYEngineer
We had a fleet of E150s and E250s with the 300 inch six. We put 300,000 miles on a few of them. One of the last ones was a 1994 with EFI. That one was awesome. Oil changes and spark plugs for it's entire life.

I saw one of those with 350,000 miles...in an E350 shuttle bus. (!) I think it was a 91 or 92 (last year of the old body style), with the 300 and a C6. Slow, but just kept running. The hour meter had stopped, but showed over 15,000.

Originally Posted by hank2
As many know, the Ford 300 inline 6 was one of the better ones ever made. I never owned one myself, but had a number of friends and family that did. I think it was more durable for the long haul than the GM inlines. The addition of FI made it especially sweet. Around '87? My first FIL, towed a quite heavy boat with a 2wd F150 300. It's daddy, the 240 was great as well. Certainly more "revvable" than a 300.

This from a slant 6 guy, who's jealous on power but not durability.

The GM 292 & Ford 300 are very similar is construction, I'd say it's a toss up on which one is more durable/reliable. The GM 292 only came with a 1-bbl carb through it's entire production '63-'90. The MPI on the 300 did wonders for that engine.

I've converted a few 230 & 292 GM Inlines to MPI using Ford EEC-IV components from a 300......Worked VERY well!

Originally Posted by Number_35
Originally Posted by CR94
... The GM 296 ...
... I don't remember the Chevy 296, but they did have a 292 inline-6 truck engine.
You are correct, sir; there was no 296. I was quoting someone else who had that number a little off.

So the OP is complaining about people not knowing what they are talking about when he does not know what he is looking for since they never made it in that configuration for the years he asks?

Originally Posted by Hootbro
So the OP is complaining about people not knowing what they are talking about when he does not know what he is looking for since they never made it in that configuration for the years he asks?

If you look at my original post I typed IIRC(if I recall correctly).I was off by a few years as I was typing off the top of my head..In a later post I corrected the years of production of the truck I was looking for.So I guess You did not read all of the thread and just jumped at the opportunity of being a jack, and once again IIRC= If I Recall Correctly means there may be an error in memory .Never said I was perfect.So Now that I have expanded your knowledge Of internet shorthand ............have good one .

Originally Posted by urrlord
Originally Posted by Hootbro

If you look at my original post I typed IIRC(if I recall correctly).I was off by a few years as I was typing off the top of my head..In a later post I corrected the years of production of the truck I was looking for.So I guess You did not read all of the thread and just jumped at the opportunity of being a jack, and once again IIRC= If I Recall Correctly means there may be an error in memory .Never said I was perfect.So Now that I have expanded your knowledge Of internet shorthand ............have good one .

I still stand by what I said. You started the thread complaining about a peeve of automobile terminology without having your ducks in a row to begin with. Irony pointing out irony. Sorry it miffs you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back