What is the take rate for AWD in small crossovers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my neck of the woods, I'd say the overwhelming majority of crossovers on the road are AWD. 85-90% range? Our CX-5 is AWD and I have to say, it does genuinely make a difference in the winter months. Especially when we travel to the in-laws that live in rural cornfield land.

Having said that, if we lived in a state that didn't experience winters like ours, I wouldn't get AWD. No reason to at that point.

I see 4WD or AWD , down here in the sun belt , a toy . Never considered buying one .

If I lived up north , probably so .

Originally Posted by doitmyself
I didn't realize that AWD had become so common and considered a necessity. A Google search of this topic seems to mimic the trend described here. Very similar to smart phones, it seems that the extra costs of AWD are just assimilated into one's budget as part of the cost of living and in the same vein, one wonders how we ever survived before this technology (the old man in me speaking out).

Do maintenance costs of AWD skyrocket in the last third of these vehicle's lives?

I think for the most part if you do regular maintenance and change fluids, you should be good as long as you aren't abusing your vehicle. AWD has really been honed in over the past decade. The newest generation disengages completely for very little MPG penalty.

I insisted upon it when I bought my CX-3. A very hard-to-find vehicle in Dallas, as I think the dealerships here associate AWD with snow, which we get very little of. They're abundant if you go north, which is what I did. Flew to Kansas city and picked it up.

I loathe FWD wheelspin if I need to accelerate briskly. AWD cures that problem. It's not just for snow anymore.

CX-3.jpg

Last edited:
So far my 07 Acura MDX with a SH-AWD over my 100k miles has cost me $100 in fluid changes(twice).

It operates fine still at 184k. The system works really well and it can put 70% of power to rear and moreover can send 100% to either wheel based on traction or improving the handling. It also can speed up by a few % to pull the SUV thru a corner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back