09 focus see p0171

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only way I could do it is to remove the intake to get to it. and I'm not really sure how it connects to the intake being that all I can see is that corrugated plastic line .

With a/c off it'll rev right up to 4,000 rpms with the MAF unplugged

Originally Posted by ram_man
With a/c off it'll rev right up to 4,000 rpms with the MAF unplugged

Yeah, it can't sense the increased air flow due to load without the MAF.

Well that being said what would you do I don't see any vacuum leaks including the one under the intake granted I can't say a hundred percent for sure because you can't see it well enough to know for sure the entire line has a foam covering in the actual PCV line is hard plastic corrugated plastic looking stuff I've sprayed it I've looked at the mirror visually looked as much as I can I don't see an obvious problem with that hose or any other vacuum line.

Well that being said what would you do I don't see any vacuum leaks including the one under the intake granted I can't say a hundred percent for sure because you can't see it well enough to know for sure the entire line has a foam covering in the actual PCV line is hard plastic corrugated plastic looking stuff I've sprayed it I've looked at the mirror visually looked as much as I can I don't see an obvious problem with that hose or any other vacuum line.

Do you have access to a vacuum gauge? What's the manifold vacuum reading at idle? If you have access to another focus with the same engine and MAF, you could also try swapping the MAF, that would be a sure-fire way to test that without buying a new one.

Last edited:
I don't own one anymore it got borrowed and not returned. I am going to Destin Florida for a week but when I get home I'll get a vacuum guage and check that . Very good idea.

Can't you go to a local auto parts store, and borrow their scantool for a few minutes so that you can properly troubleshoot the maf values?

BC.

I just replace the MAF sensor and if anything it runs worse but the fuel trims are both 0...... Just kind of feels like it's misfiring and surging....

Originally Posted by Bladecutter
Can't you go to a local auto parts store, and borrow their scantool for a few minutes so that you can properly troubleshoot the maf values?

BC.

The scan tool I have shows the same thing there's will show. It's not the MAF. I can't believe I can't spot a vacuum leak anywhere.

P2196 FORD - Oxygen Sensor Signal Biased/Stuck Rich Bank 1 Sensor 1

Possible causes:
Faulty Front Heated Oxygen Sensor Bank 1
Front Heated Oxygen Sensor Bank 1 harness is open or shorted
Front Heated Oxygen Sensor Bank 1 circuit poor electrical connection
Inappropriate fuel pressure
Faulty fuel injectors
Intake air leaks may be faulty
Vacuums leaks

Now the car is throwing a p2196 code no more lean code though

Does the initial condition still exist? IE, unplug the MAF with the A/C off and it runs properly?

No it'll still run poorly.

Right, but if you unplug the MAF like before, does it make it run better still?

No doesn't change.

So now, MAF plugged in or unplugged it just runs like a bag of poo?

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
No doesn't change.

With the IAT sensor being part of the MAF sensor, Unplugging it doesn't work like it used to....Unpinning the MAF signal wire from the connector & seeing if fuel trims correct is a much better approach. That is IF this will force it into speed density mode.....Nothing is like is used to be or at least you can't count on it!

Originally Posted by clinebarger
Originally Posted by OVERKILL
No doesn't change.

With the IAT sensor being part of the MAF sensor, Unplugging it doesn't work like it used to....Unpinning the MAF signal wire from the connector & seeing if fuel trims correct is a much better approach. That is IF this will force it into speed density mode.....Nothing is like is used to be or at least you can't count on it!

Earlier in the thread, unplugging the MAF had a significant effect on how it ran; dramatic improvement. Hence my further query regarding this behaviour, which appears to have changed. I believe observed fuel trims were also noted and discussed at that time.

It's all good Overkill, You have far greater patience with people than I do! I was just pointing out that opening the IAT circuit can affect the way the vehicle runs.

The P2196 is interesting, Being it set after a MAF change.....Wrong/Faulty MAF sensor is installed at the moment? Let me guess.....A used or cheap part store replacement?

P2196 itself means the O2 voltage was stuck rich at the end of a test......See P2195 Bank 1 Sensor 1 Stuck Lean. See Pinpoint Test H.

I would have checked Fuel Pressure FIRST & Smoked the intake SECOND. Not having the correct equipment to do basic diagnostics is a big handicap I'm not sure can be overcome here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back