Which chain lube is the best - Project Farm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not the most scientific method of testing - throwing sand on a lubed chain to see what sticks isn't a measure of keeping dust off and how that dust/dirt accelerates wear.

Also putting lube on a chainsaw that can get really hot due to the speed isn't really the right application that these were designed for.

I am not sure how a one armed bandit is related to chain lube?

You could test pert plus shampoo in that thing and it would out-test some motor oils.

He was using it to determine how it is under load because some of the chain lube said they extend chain and sprocket life.

Even if you did believe the "one arm bandit" testing ... he didn't test the products after they dried on a surface, so not really replicating in use conditions.

Hang on......that wasn't NEARLY up to the usual stupid-and-pointless standard.

Geezer is in danger of losing his fan base.

Sure, there are criticisms one could make, but the tests were apparently consistent and at least a bit informative.

I'd think the best way to bench test chain lubes would involve motoring the chains electrically on a common shaft under controlled tension (weight), and then measuring chain extension, but that'd involve a bit of engineering.

Might be a job for a ME student project.

If anyone did it commercially the results would be secret unless their stuff came out on top.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back