Truck depreciation

Status
Not open for further replies.
A nice truck just fits so many roles these days. You can have comfort, power, luxury, off road, reasonable MPG, towing, hauling, everything really, in one vehicle. They typically last much longer than smaller unibody stuff. When you look at the whole package it makes sense for a lot of people to buy one. Even if its a financial strain for a while. Once its paid for its an awesome vehicle for a very long time.

True. A truck can segue from first to second to third car and even a hand me down and stay in the same family for 20+ years.

That said, they are somewhat niche vehicles. If you don't have a present use for one, you shouldn't buy one.

PS. I have also had people knocking on the door seeking to buy my truck. The only difference is, in my case the potential buyers didn't speak English.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by fdcg27

Come the summer of four dollar gas in 2008 and then the economic collapse, all those Walts wished they'd bought Honda Civics instead since they couldn't sell their pickups for anything near what they owed on them and they struggled to pay for the fuel to run them.
Dealers couldn't give trucks away, which made for a real buying opportunity for those with deeper resources.
It happened before and will happen again within the next couple of years.

This most have been in OH because in Southern California demand and price of full size pickups was at or near averages. If you are going to speak in biased absolutes it would be helpful to have facts to correlate your biases.

Originally Posted by dave1251

Come the summer of four dollar gas in 2008 and then the economic collapse, all those Walts wished they'd bought Honda Civics instead since they couldn't sell their pickups for anything near what they owed on them and they struggled to pay for the fuel to run them.
Dealers couldn't give trucks away, which made for a real buying opportunity for those with deeper resources.

This most have been in OH because in Southern California demand and price of full size pickups was at or near averages. If you are going to speak in biased absolutes it would be helpful to have facts to correlate your biases.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pa...c1e-daae-5d27-b470-fcaf6074c6fe.amp.html

Ford had around 100,000 2007/2008/2009 model trucks sitting in storage lots, they eventually fire saled them 1-2 years later then dropped production levels.

http://www.autonews.com/article/20080624/ZZZ_SPECIAL/564990455

Their decisions were then heralded as being a triumph after the fact.

Just because something sells in small volumes at retail doesn't mean things were astounding or even average

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Rmay635703
Originally Posted by dave1251

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pa...c1e-daae-5d27-b470-fcaf6074c6fe.amp.html

Ford had around 100,000 2007/2008/2009 model trucks sitting in storage lots, they eventually fire saled them 1-2 years later then dropped production levels.

http://www.autonews.com/article/20080624/ZZZ_SPECIAL/564990455

Their decisions were then heralded as being a triumph after the fact.

Just because something sells in small volumes at retail doesn't mean things were astounding or even average

Your story referenced the backlog of 2008's on the lot. 2009 was a new model it happens when you are talking about the best selling vehicle in America. Total sales from 2006 pickups comprised of 12.9% of vehicle sales. 2008 12.8% of vehicle sales. Hardly the mass sell off you and your counterpart state.

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2013/02/usa-2007-vehicle-sales-rankings-by-mode/

How often do you have 250,000 unsold trucks in November of the current model year?

If sales of the trucks were great why were there loans, bailouts and Ford loosing $30,000,000,000?

I don't think we need to exaggerate anything to figure out truck sales were terrible in that timeframe of high fuel prices.

There is a lingering automotive loan crisis going on silently behind the scenes and a used suv/truck implosion coming that we likely can't "grow" out of and this implosion includes the HD market.

Should we grab popcorn and wait or just pretend nothing is happening?

Originally Posted by SteveSRT8
Our 14 RAM has been solicited by both major dealerships here for them to purchase and resell. Not mass mailings but specifically addressed to us and offering what I felt was an amazing amount of money for a used truck.

What a terrific problem!

I've gotten the same for the last three new cars we bought.
Means nothing and is only a way of getting you in the door.

Sorry, but my letter was from a dealer who had an actual cash offer for the truck today. It is far more than I would ever pay for the same truck, same condition. No trade or "deal" required.
Plus it was a real letter, not a mass mailer. I've been buying cars and trucks since 1972, perhaps even someone like yourself could imagine I might know the difference. And the facts support me, as my Sport is a sought after model with a stunningly unique equipment package. And note this gentleman is my client as well.

But since it is paid for we have no desire to get rid of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back