What is the take rate for AWD in small crossovers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many people actually order the AWD on small crossovers like the HRV, CHR, Trax, Ecosport, etc? Or even the next size up Equinox, Rav4, CRV, Escape, Tucson, Rogue, etc. ?

I know a lot of people cite AWD as a reason for buying these instead of regular cars, but some people won't pay extra for it, either. Or maybe they jsut like the extra height/ground clearance. Not to mention that the new Kicks that just came out isn't even available with AWD
crazy2.gif
(the Juke it replaced *was* available with AWD)

So now I wonder, how many choose FWD or AWD or vice versa?

Quite a few I'd say if the used card market is the judge. I've been half looking for a CRV for my wife that ISN'T AWD and while they're out there, I'd say its at least 50/50 AWD vs FWD. In Georgia of all places, where you're least likely to need AWD. If it does snow, you're not going anywhere anyways because everything is closed.....

Off topic, but it blows my mind seeing all the AWD badged crossovers here in Phoenix.

For what!? 300+ days a year of sunshine, the sunniest city in the United States.

i know a lot of people with rav 4 crvs etc and have never encountered a non awd if it was available. of course this is the PNW so it does rain and snow . i think that non awd might be more popular in places like So Cal or Az that don't get much rain or snow .

I would say an easy 3:1 ratio.

It's easy to sell AWD. "It only kicks in when you need it!". "No loss in fuel economy!". Most people never notice it, therefore don't care in the least.

Up here in MN? I hardly ever see anything in an "SUV" body that isn't AWD of some sort. Seeing a FWD model of anything made available in AWD is a rare occurrence. Heck, ANY model that has available AWD is usually equipped as such..

Originally Posted by Nick1994
Off topic, but it blows my mind seeing all the AWD badged crossovers here in Phoenix.

For what!? 300+ days a year of sunshine, the sunniest city in the United States.

Both my cars are AWD. Of course there's snow and rain here so pretty much all cars like mine sold in the area are AWD. But thing thing you notice with it is that it's pretty balanced while driving, nice weight/power distribution. Also most power goes to the ground so even if you punch it, you never really chirp the tires or have any kind of torque steer when flooring it. So it does add that extra bit of confidence in just everyday driving and makes it seem very surefooted.

Overall, I'd rather have it than not have it even if there wasn't any bad weather here. But then again, I don't really care about slightly worse gas mileage or having to use premium.

The local Honda dealer ONLY has AWD. So every CRV sold has AWD. I'm guessing you would have to order it here or go to a different dealership that has 2wd.

My 2 cars that were awd were a imprezza and rav4 both were great. It's hard in the north east to find a crossover in dealer inventory without awd.

I'm due in a few months for a vehicle and undecided on going back with awd, I have a scion ia with 185,60 16 all seasons I get through 5-6 inches of snow with ease.

This new job I have now it's kind of a requirement to be there during snow storms, I'd hate to give in and spend the extra on awd at my employer's mercy.

investing in dedicated snows on front wheel drive is also an option, I do lease but may be less over 3 years than an awd car payment.

I had AWD Astro van, Subaru, Audi AWD then bought a Honda Fit...it worked in MN winters but I did not like it. I always bought 2 new Continental Extreme 06 every fall, so I had new front tires every winter. Now I bought a 2018 Hyundai Kona AWD 1.6T and NOW I am ready for winter.

Added note for you guys who have a Rav4 and samewith this Kona, the AWD clutch system is in the rear diff and some with only 3/4 qt of oil. These rear diffs need oil change out every 20,000 miles. Our Rav4 rear diff was black when I changed it out at 21,400.

Last edited:
They are mostly AWD's where I live due to the snow in the winter. I wouldn't buy just the front wheel drive unless it was in something like my Honda Civic which is just a car. . Some people have 4x4's to drive in the wintertime therefore an AWD small crossover is not needed. Every situation is different.

Subaru 100%
smile.gif

New England you have to buy a loss leader they advertise for the lowest payment or price base model to get the FWD model.

The nice thing now is the penalty is 1-2MPG for AWD

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 14Accent

Up here in MN? I hardly ever see anything in an "SUV" body that isn't AWD of some sort. Seeing a FWD model of anything made available in AWD is a rare occurrence. Heck, ANY model that has available AWD is usually equipped as such..

This is very true. MN native here as well and I had to look for quite some time for a new FWD Explorer back in 2012 when I was looking. AWD was just out of my budget range. I found one after a few months of looking. Even in MN FWD does great with snow tires.

I didn't realize that AWD had become so common and considered a necessity. A Google search of this topic seems to mimic the trend described here. Very similar to smart phones, it seems that the extra costs of AWD are just assimilated into one's budget as part of the cost of living and in the same vein, one wonders how we ever survived before this technology (the old man in me speaking out).

Do maintenance costs of AWD skyrocket in the last third of these vehicle's lives?

Originally Posted by madRiver
The nice thing now is the penalty is 1-2MPG for AWD
Not always. My AWD '18 Equinox has a standard disconnecting driveshaft. That means you're not "churning-and-burning" high friction gears & bearings from the front transmission all the way back to the rear wheels. It is avoided nicely. Result: Very little MPG loss, I think mine might lose 0.5 MPG tops. Its effectively a Front Wheel Drive until you hit a button when it activates clutches to synch and connect the friction-burning gas-burning AWD system. "American Axle's Disconnecting AWD System" is the supplier, and its making its way around the universe, has been on the Jeep Cherokee for a while, and will be on more GM models and Ford just signed up to buy a bunch for the upcoming Edge/Nautilus.

To slacktide_bitog's original question, the price-sensitive end of the market, the cheaper, smaller mini-SUVs like the Soul and the Kicks tend to get more younger, poorer, FWD-buyers.

Originally Posted by Mainia
Now I bought a 2018 Hyundai Kona AWD 1.6T and NOW I am ready for winter.
AWD doesn't help braking on ice-snow, so you still can use snow tires. I'd argue that braking is twice the problem on slick surfaces than acceleration forward. Remember your basic traction control handles forward acceleration pretty well.

Originally Posted by doitmyself
Do maintenance costs of AWD skyrocket in the last third of these vehicle's lives?

I was a little worried about my used Escape being AWD but I have a use for it several times a year and so far no problems. Of course it adds complexity to any vehicle but I think they realy have become reliable since they are so common.

I've discovered that my true AWD SUBARU was really good to have. I noticed a big difference when leaving a stop light when the pavement was wet, sandy or muddy. I could see and hear std FWD spinning tires frequently as my vehicle just took off nicely. In my opinion, based on my experience is that AWD is a feature everywhere and not just in snow or monsoon states. Ed

Last edited:
A lot of crossover buyers go with the awd because of the resale value on the other end.

A good awd System also works on dry pavement to ensure stability in certain situations like going down a hill and around a curve at the same time. Granted it's marketing but anything that adds to driving safety is a plus in consumers minds.

Originally Posted by doitmyself

I think it depends on the vehicle, in my experience AWD/4WD mostly just uses more gas, and fluid changes. We had to replace 1 seal on the front diff of our Tracker, the 01 and 06 CRV's didn't need anything except fluids on the whole driveline. I read about the 90deg pto's on transverse AWDs burning up on some cars but I think its mostly a Ford problem.
Somehow my Outback has nearly the same mileage ratings as my Focus wagon inspite of the full time AWD an extra 700lbs and being larger in general, but I guess the CVT works its magic to do so.
We only need one AWD vehicle in our family so the Focus replacement with be a 2wd something though. Mostly because there's more cheap fun to drive 2wd cars available. A WRX would be great but their gas mileage isn't good and they cost more new or used than something like a Focus ST.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back