Effective add-on's for better air filtration

Status
Not open for further replies.
Besides using a quality air filter what are some other ways to limit the amount of dirt sucked into the engine via the air filter?

Thoughts:

-Using some sort of grease at the bottom of the air box prior to the air being filtered. (Bottom of the box would be the dirty side)
-Stuffing breathable material in the air box on the dirty side of the air filter to limit what makes it to the air filter.

Other ideas?

As long as the filter is properly sealed, you aren't going to do anything to make it a "better" filter.

If you want higher levels of filtration, step up to a filter that provides that, which, in some cases, simply can't be done. Volant makes a Donaldson PowerCore filter setup for a number of vehicles that is probably "the best" in that department, but applications are limited.

I was just thinking about this, but I couldn't find much on Google.

I have a stock factory sealed air-box with an open 3-inch hole.

Maybe like a simple coffee filter that is zip-tied around the opening ?

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
As long as the filter is properly sealed, you aren't going to do anything to make it a "better" filter.

If you want higher levels of filtration, step up to a filter that provides that, which, in some cases, simply can't be done. Volant makes a Donaldson PowerCore filter setup for a number of vehicles that is probably "the best" in that department, but applications are limited.

Yeah I looked into this already. Even the newer fram air filters aren't available for my ride. I just wanted to come up with something to better the filtration is all. I might have to come up with a home made contraption and stick it in the air box below the filter. Maybe using some Hepa cloth but I will have to see if that creates too much air restriction.

Originally Posted by CELICA_XX

There is ample room before the Airbox intake for me to come up with something but I will have to put my thinking cap on for this. I was just hoping someone had a better idea than me either with material stuffed in the air box or grease in the air box or something along those lines.

Originally Posted by CELICA_XX

That would likely provide restriction and no benefit.

Originally Posted by StevieC

Yeah I looked into this already. Even the newer fram air filters aren't available for my ride. I just wanted to come up with something to better the filtration is all. I might have to come up with a home made contraption and stick it in the air box below the filter. Maybe using some Hepa cloth but I will have to see if that creates too much air restriction.

Interestingly Volant makes one for:
- Tundra and Sequoia
- Tacoma
- FJ Cruiser

but not the Highlander? Does it share a platform with any of those?

This is the PowerCore unit for the Tundra/Sequoia

put a big hunk o foam in the dirty side? lightly oiled? similar to what one might find on their OPE?

don't some cars ship with a "lifetime air filter" which is basically a foam filled airbox, maybe with a restriction gauge?

find the actual inlet and cover it with pantyhose, or similar fine material?

Last edited:

Interestingly Volant makes one for:
- Tundra and Sequoia
- Tacoma
- FJ Cruiser

but not the Highlander? Does it share a platform with any of those?

This is the PowerCore unit for the Tundra/Sequoia

Tacoma would be the closest but the air box is different in both vehicles.

What about lightly spraying the paper pleats with the K&N recharging oil? Not so it's drenched but just so there is a light mist over each pleat?

Don't drive on dirt roads.

Snorkel

[Linked Image]

That would be bad-A on your Highlander!

I wouldn't want to explain to my customers why I have a Snorkel on my Highlander while taking them for lunch.
lol.gif

If "better air filtration" means less frequent clogging in a very dirty environment, you can add screening or a thin layer of open-cell foam to keep the big chunks out of the primary media. Same if rodents invading the air cleaner housing are a problem.

If "better air filtration" means higher efficiency in a normal reasonably clean environment, there's not much you can do except use decent quality filters, don't change them needlessly often, and stop worrying about it.

It's about removing more dirt from the air being sucked into the engine. "The best oil filter is your air filter" sort of thing.

Many Toyota agents were killed during attempts at stealing the designs to your current airbox. Get a AEM Dryflow drop in and call it a day, or if it is a tubular filter make a pantyhose prefilter. That would be the ultimate under warranty combo.

It's about removing more dirt from the air being sucked into the engine. "The best oil filter is your air filter" sort of thing.

The only thing that is going to do that is a more efficient filter, and generally you need to step-up to a PowerCore to get that. The OEM filters are excellent generally, for the typical life of a gasser, so this isn't really something you are going to improve upon without going the route we've already established you can't, unless you want to plumb in your own PowerCore.

Found it...
smile.gif

I am still waiting to hear back from Volant as to whether their 5.7L Jeep GC setup works on the SRT. Just concerned about air flow.

Found it...
smile.gif

I am still waiting to hear back from Volant as to whether their 5.7L Jeep GC setup works on the SRT. Just concerned about air flow.

Not sure why... LOL
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back