Second Deck Replacement? Really?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have the small Ariens ZTR - it's a 34", which is perfect for our property because it's nimble between lots of trees and obstacles and yet eats up the mowing task all too quickly. 2 Years ago I replaced the deck because large roots come up and snag the front edge and eventually there was a blade strike into the deck. It was 4 years old, I think, at that point.

Those first four years, I was rough on it. It was my first rider, I didn't realize how fragile the decks were, and I drove it like a go-kart. $450 later, I toned my speeds way back and started cutting higher at 3" to avoid the roots and another costly repair. And yet, it took a massive hit on a root this past weekend, and I noticed the cut was no longer even. The deck warped enough that the leading edge is down to 1/4" from the blade and the deck no longer hangs level; I think it's warped. There were certainly a number of small scrapes for this deck, but all at lower ground speeds, and most were anticipated by lifting the deck, be aware of where the problem spots were, etc.. Only a few caught me by surprise.

I tried to bang out what I could. It appeared that at some point, a reinforcing "skid" that runs on the bottom of the deck all the way left to right caught something and bent downward, where it was able to "grab" something with full bite instead of skimming over it. At that point, that big flat plate bent and warped. I'm stuck knowing I can cut with it, and it's going to go blade-to-deck soon, or replace it (again) now, which just hurts.

Is this normal with stamped decks?? I've never known a mower to be this fragile.

I have 3 acres of grass and own a stand on mower. Some mowers have a chintzy deck and some commercial grade mowers go all out and have a 7 gauge or even a 1/4" fabricated deck.
Being that you have a 34" mower, I bet the deck is on the thin side. Add your yard having the occasional object prodding from the earth causes havoc.
I'd go over your yard with a fine tooth, no, make that a lice comb and make it mower friendly.

John Deere makes strong stamped decks. Nearly all commercial mowers have fabricated decks as they are used much harder. Might looked into a fab deck if it can be fit on your mower. Ariens may be able to steer you in right direction. They are usually quite a bit more money to buy.

Alternatively if you know someone that is a welder they may be able to take what you currently have and weld it into a much stronger deck. This would likey be much cheaper

It is the mower. That size is for residential use and not so sturdy.
If that is all you need then it is what it is. Bigger as you say would not be nimble but
the bigger usually the stronger they are. You just have to be careful as that cost will end up being
prohibitive.

I mowed 22 Acres today of god forsaken property. Hilly, deep ruts, branches, sticks.
I had to get a super heavy duty mower as even many commercial mowers would fail in short order.
You may have to trade up and unfortunately go up in size as well to get something durable.

$450 ain't no joke..... Good luck!

Originally Posted by CT8
Skyactiv how long does it take you to mow 3 acres.

I have a 52" Ferris stand on. On mower time is about an hour and 10 minutes. I think stand on's are better because you don't get your back beat up going full tilt and it seems more productive.

Set the mower at its highest setting. I've done this for about 10 years now and the grass gets stronger and full because it's healthier when it gets a little taller. I can also clear the dog's tennis balls when I don't see them in time.

Originally Posted by Silverado12
Set the mower at its highest setting. I've done this for about 10 years now and the grass gets stronger and full because it's healthier when it gets a little taller. I can also clear the dog's tennis balls when I don't see them in time.

+1

Thanks guys. What you say makes sense - that this size would strictly be a dainty-duty deck only. I may pull it myself this weekend and see if I can coerce some corrective bending into it, since it hasn't had a blade strike yet, and going forward I'm going to raise the cutting height. What a pity. If that doesn't work, I'll spend for a new deck. Besides this, the rest of the mower has been excellent.

Dumb question... do you still have the old deck? If you decide to beef up the deck, the old deck could be cut up for re-enforcing the deck. If cut up carefully, the old deck should fit fairly well.

Upon closer reading it appears that the 34" is 12 ga, the lightest of all of them. I just ordered a new deck for a DIY cost of $249. Since nothing is damaged yet all the parts are re-usable. Gravely has a 34" fabbed deck which dimensionally looks like it'd fit, and hangs under the same chassis and frame, but ALL of the top accessories are different, and I'm not certain that the differences in mounting, which are very similar but still different, could be practically worked. The gravely deck looks significantly heavier. The cost of all individual parts might exceed the cost of just trading and upgrading.

@DeafBrad - good idea - worth thinking about.

-m

IMO, if you're hitting the same root, your deck is set too low for your needs.

That fabricated replacement deck likely won't have the same hanger setup and pulley locations.

One of the first recommendations I give to folks who have questions on being a first time riding mower owner is to keep the cutting deck set up high so it doesn't contact the ground during your specific mowing. With exception of a few, residential grade cutting decks are made to always hang from the machine, with the gauge wheels only occasionally having to contact the ground during mowing.

If your whole lawn is as smooth as a putting green, it's possible to leave the deck riding on the ground, on it's gauge wheels and still have the deck and it's associated parts last a long time.

Last edited:
@JTK. Sounds like good advice. This deck doesn't even have gage wheels. The fabb'ed doesn't either, but it's anchor points are chain-hung instead of threaded shaft hung, and they are very similarly-placed, but there's a 5th hang point which holds the deck against belt tension that seems very different. I think I could make the mounts work.... BUT I suspect the hanging linkage is more robust in the gravely version. I have this feeling that after a year there'd be a whole new headache.

3" clears all but 1-2 roots in my yard. 2.5" rubs obstacles more frequently. I used to prefer 2.5 during the rainy season but didn't do it much and slowed way down. But, over the past 2-3 years, those roots are now starting to breach at 3". And, sometimes the ground is just different - wet vs dry soil, sinking areas above roots of felled trees... some spots just happen one week that didn't the next. It doesn't help that the deck hangs 3/4-1" below cutting height; the blades are really tucked up in there.

I guess I'll *really* have to stay at 3". The grass doesn't look good at 3.5". In three years should this deck fail, I'll re-evaluate.

They sure don't make decks as strong as they used to. I finally had to replace the deck on my 1972 Wheel Horse because the original was just too rusted out. Fortunately I found a good used one, vintage 1989 iirc, for $75 on Craigslist. I feel your pain! (original poster)

1972, that's impressive!

I pulled the bent one off and was surprised at how mangled it was. The impact on the front bent it on the top surface of the deck more than the leading wall. It seemed soft enough that if I chained it between the truck and a tree maybe I could pull it out - but that seemed like an accident waiting to happen. Ariens does not stock these - they manufacture them on demand, so it's TBD for when the replacement ships. I'd imagine they try to wait until they have a few queued up before building them, so it could be a few weeks.

-m

Blades causing vibration also leads to deck cracks. I have weld repaired several for customers.

I lowered the 4 deck wheels on my 52". Prevents the deck from getting hung up everywhere. And cut higher. Higher prevents weeds.

I'll be glad to! Still waiting on that deck. Last time I think it took a month to come in....

All cutting decks are designed differently and have different weaknesses, but in my experience, lowering the wheels such that they hit the ground more often results in broken wheels, bent wheel brackets or worse.

just for closure, the new deck arrived at my door tuesday. that was the timeframe for the wait for the factory to run off a few new decks to meet orders. It installed nicely, needed 10 minutes to level it out, and will see action tonight. I'll keep it at 3" and hope it lasts at least 3 years...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back