ATF As Fluid For Jacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm leaning towards too thin too as well. I don't see ATF being damaging to typical rubber o-rings or seals in jacks.

The proper fluid for jacks is ISO AW32.

A6F3A3E8-9C1F-4373-A4A7-9778F9A2F072.jpeg

I use High mileage ATF with a splash of AT-205 stop leak. Stopped my leaking Craftsman floor jack years ago. Still no leaking....

Depends on the seal material and the oil base stock I would imagine. Remember Mobil1/Amsoil in the early years? I'm thinking some floor jacks may have natural rubber seals which could swell,soften,distort with PAO or other synthetic bases.

Originally Posted by ddtmoto
I use High mileage ATF with a splash of AT-205 stop leak. Stopped my leaking Craftsman floor jack years ago. Still no leaking....

I took some hydraulic equipment in for repair , years ago . The guy made a comment that someone had used ATF in it . He said the seals were not made for ATF & that could be one of the reasons it was leaking . He flushed it out & replaced the rubber parts . I have tried to make sure that equipment gets hydraulic fluid .

I have an old hydraulic floor jack that leaks . After we finished draining the oil on Wife's car , yesterday PM , we took it on a test drive to Walmart . I picked up some more hydraulic jack oil . It was after dark by then , so I did not top off the oil in the jack .

Have considered taking the jack apart & replacing the O-Rings . Is that what they use for seals ? Seem to remember my late father in law saying something about that ?

The ATF I used was Shell Donax, which I don't think has PAO.

Based on the replies, I have formulated a plan - I am going to drain all the existing fluid and fill with the Nuto hydraulic oil, which is ISO 32. If the leaks still persist, I will add some engine oil stop-leak product. If that does not do it I will take the jacks apart and change the seals.

If you tear into the jack to replace seals , please take photos & document the repair . And come back and post it .

Thanks , :)

Will do. The reason replacing the seals is my last resort is that I am not expecting sourcing the seals to be easy. The jacks are old inexpensive Chinese made ones. Luckily I still have the original manuals with the exploded parts diagrams. Perhaps my local hydraulic shop might be able to supply the seals. The shop I deal with is a very capable shop.
http://www.actionhydraulics.ca/

Originally Posted by George7941
Will do. The reason replacing the seals is my last resort is that I am not expecting sourcing the seals to be easy. The jacks are old inexpensive Chinese made ones.

Seals (lip), o-rings, bearings (I know, not applicable here) are very standardized and a company that designs/produces jacks, pumps, engines, etc will rarely be in the business of making those other parts. Because of this, they source them from other companies. In a previous life, I designed pumps and when we created a shaft, we didn't randomly pick diameters where a bearing would be located or where a lip seal would be needed. We looked up SKF or Parker engineering data for the diameters and +/- tolerances to use existing, easily available bearings or lip seals.

Point is, take the seals or o-rings that you remove from the jack and match them up with off-the-shelf parts. Remember that the I.D. may be stretched on your 'old' o-ring so you'll probably go slightly smaller. Plus, o-rings do stretch anyway. The diameter or cross-section may be swollen too.

Originally Posted by George7941
O-rings are easy to source. Hopefully the seals are not some non-standard custom made ones.

Hydraulics guy here ... both statements true, but there are 2 popular "hardness" or durometer buna o-rings. I'd guess that perhaps 90% sold are 70 durometer for use in low pressure applications. Hydraulics (98% of the time) needs 90 durometer to last in pressures over about 100 bar (1500 psi). REAL seal houses have both. Prices are USUALLY the same or nearly so.

I ruined a jack years ago with 10-40 motor oil. Since it's basically the same base stock as ATF, I'd get it out and use jack oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back