2010 Chevy Traverse - Struts gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2010 Chevy Traverse with 140, 000 KMs owned since new.

About 20,000 Kms ago, the vehicle had some clunking noise from the front and I replaced the worn sway bar end links. Noise disappeared.

Recently, about 2500 KMs ago, it started to have clunking noise again from the left front. Checked the end links and they were nice and tight. Suspected the sway bar bushings and replaced them yesterday. The noise is still there after the replacement.

During the repair, I noticed that the inner side of the front tires has more wear than the rest.

The noise can be heard when at low speed over some small bumps. On smooth road surfaces, no noise. Neither on freeways.
Also, if I rock the car left to right, I can hear some kind of clicking/clucking noise. sounds like something's loose.

I checked the struts and didn't see any sign of oil leak. And there's no excessive bounce. Control arms looked fine, too.

I suspect the struts are the culprit. Any idea? Thx.

Raise the car until the tire is a couple of inches off the ground then put a long piece of pipe under the tire (I use an old torsion bar) and pull up, you should hear the noise.
You may have a bad strut mount. Rock Auto has lots of GM original for this vehicle at a good price so don't bother with the usual short lived big name aftermarket rubbish.
Does this have electronic suspension? If so you may want to consider a conversion.

Originally Posted by Trav
Raise the car until the tire is a couple of inches off the ground then put a long piece of pipe under the tire (I use an old torsion bar) and pull up, you should hear the noise.
You may have a bad strut mount. Rock Auto has lots of GM original for this vehicle at a good price so don't bother with the usual short lived big name aftermarket rubbish.
Does this have electronic suspension? If so you may want to consider a conversion.
Trav I got the Powerflex strut mounts you recommend for my car and they are awesome!

Wow that is less than 100k miles and the struts are already shot?
crazy2.gif

KYB does have a good rebate promotion right now. So get the Strut Plus quick struts for the front, along with Gas-A-Just monotube shocks for the rear, and you get a $60 rebate
smile.gif

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Originally Posted by Trav
Trav I got the Powerflex strut mounts you recommend for my car and they are awesome!

Yes, the Powerflex are really top shelf stuff, they are the only mount I use in VW's and others if available, with a good bearing, spring and Bilstein or Koni strut its a one time and done deal. The mount never gives out but they have their up front price tag.

Alright. Just back from the testing.

1. Followed @Trav's method by using a long pry bar and a long 2x4. Sorry I don't have any longer or stronger pipes at hand. But no, I didn't hear any noise. The suspension was very firm and I tried my best but I coulnd't make any noise this way.
2. I again did the rocking test and found that the noise would be more easily reproducible if I rocked from the left side than the right side. I guess the right side strut is still fine while the left one is worn.
3. I did some more speed bump tests.
a. with both tires going over the bump, if the car was slow enough, I didn't hear the noise. However, if the speed was fast enough, I could. (I guess at a slow speed, the impact may not be big enough to trigger the noise)
b. with the one tire going over the bump while the other on the flat road surface, I could hear the noise clearly.

I guess still the struts?

Update:

It was the front struts!!

I replaced them today with the KYB Strut-Plus assembly and the noise is gone!! Yay! Thanks for all the help!
thumbsup2.gif

Question: I know I'll need wheel alignment after this repair. But since I'll replace the rear shocks next weekend, (too busy this weekend), will I need another wheel alignment after the rears are replaced?

Originally Posted by iExcel
Update:

It was the front struts!!

I replaced them today with the KYB Strut-Plus assembly and the noise is gone!! Yay! Thanks for all the help!
thumbsup2.gif

Question: I know I'll need wheel alignment after this repair. But since I'll replace the rear shocks next weekend, (too busy this weekend), will I need another wheel alignment after the rears are replaced?

Nope, shocks don't affect wheel alignment. Struts do because they determine the ride height since the springs are mounted to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back