The hatred for Mopar but the luv for Hyundai anymore???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by maxdustington
There's some members with Mopar SUVs and CUVs here, but I have always thought their styling was bland and they had plasticy interiors.

They have some intriguing models (Challenger, Wrangler 6spd manual) I think they are OK. They are really gaudy and attention grabbing, and this board has a lot of older members.

Hyundai fanboyism is not particular to this board, my neighbor across the street has two identical models except different colours. Their popularity is exploding.
However, this board has a serious hard on right now for Subarus and Hyundais. Used to be Toyota and Honda but people on this board recognize that there isn't as much value with Toyota and Honda as in the past.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
There's some members with Mopar SUVs and CUVs here, but I have always thought their styling was bland and they had plasticy interiors.

They have some intriguing models (Challenger, Wrangler 6spd manual) I think they are OK. They are really gaudy and attention grabbing, and this board has a lot of older members.

Hyundai fanboyism is not particular to this board, my neighbor across the street has two identical models except different colours. Their popularity is exploding.
However, this board has a serious hard on right now for Subarus and Hyundais. Used to be Toyota and Honda but people on this board recognize that there isn't as much value with Toyota and Honda as in the past.

Last Chrysler product I bought (Caravan in mid nineties) had huge waves of repairs that came all at once. Pretty good for 60K then a series of $500 drips, then twenty thousand trouble free miles then everything else went bad-- although some of this may have been the fault of a teenager who used it as a party van and would have probably destroyed anything. Only other relative was a step daughter who was made poor by a 2010-ish Jeep product.

I've owned four Kias and a Hyundai and none of them gave me trouble. If that's disgusting, so be it. Purchased a number of GM cars during same period and though none were lemons they cost me considerably more in repairs than my HyunKias. As was pointed out, Genesis, Kia and Hyundai are at the top of the Power IQ charts and FCA near the bottom. I'm glad that a large portion of the public won't try them because that means I can pick up used ones at a good price.

Last edited:
I don't like either brand, never have since 1988 getting my license at 16 and never will.

Hyundai has come a long way.

The Dodge Journey(rental) did Mopar no favors in helping their reputation. I felt like they had to build a successor to a previous Mopar wonder the Caliber.

Last edited:
The SRT branded cars are legit and true enthusiast vehicles but those represent a very small fraction of the entire sales of "Mopar" vehicles.

When you compare "consumer appliance cars" between Hyundai and Mopar then Hyundai wins hands down. Hyundai exists to make affordable cars for average people.

I've always felt that Dodge put all of its effort into the special edition cars like the Viper, SRT edition vehicles and such. As a result it seemed like their consumer level commute vehicles were just lackluster.

This probably explains why the OP has a wedgie over the issue. Most people here are family men who need a reliable everyday vehicle and frankly Dodge can't seem to nail down the formula for doing those well.

Chrysler has put out a lot of junk over the decades. My dad worked for the company and is also a mechanic and owned successful shops. The current Dodge Caravan with the PentaStar V6 and the Mercedes / Chrysler transmission is the only thing I would buy from them aside from the really expensive models like the H-Cat or the SRT line. The rest of their offerings are complete junk with exception of a few Jeep models. They deserve all the ill will thought of them and considering my Journey had 6 recalls, a bunch of sensor failures and the A/C blew the compressor and an alternator failure in the first 60K miles (100,000km) I'm not impressed with them either.

Then you have my Santa Fe that went 535,000km (334K miles) on the original transmission/engine without any failures or oil consumption. The only thing replaced on it was the alternator, starter, battery, oxygen sensors, spark plugs/wires, tires & brakes. We also have really high mileage Hyundai Sonata, Elantra, Kia Specra's in the family also with only wearable parts replaced.

Sure this is a small sample size but it is a good example of Chrysler's failings. Furthermore look at the quality scores of where each brand sits and that the Korean brands are continually climbing to the top.

I'm not saying Hyundai/Kia are perfect but they are at least trying really hard where as Chrysler just doesn't seem to care unless they are selling the $80-$100K vehicles. I think the reason they didn't mess with the Caravan is because they know it's their bread/butter keeping the company afloat (It's the best selling minivan) and it was the vehicle that saved them from bankruptcy in the 1980's. Not that the 1980's or 1990's versions of the vans were all that reliable but they did sell really well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Reddy45
The SRT branded cars are legit and true enthusiast vehicles but those represent a very small fraction of the entire sales of "Mopar" vehicles.

When you compare "consumer appliance cars" between Hyundai and Mopar then Hyundai wins hands down. Hyundai exists to make affordable cars for average people.

I've always felt that Dodge put all of its effort into the special edition cars like the Viper, SRT edition vehicles and such. As a result it seemed like their consumer level commute vehicles were just lackluster.

This probably explains why the OP has a wedgie over the issue. Most people here are family men who need a reliable everyday vehicle and frankly Dodge can't seem to nail down the formula for doing those well.

Probably didn't help FCA's appliance division when its late lamented president declared the Chrysler 200 to be an awful car soon after its introduction. Wouldn't have made me resale happy had I just bought one. And what happened to all those rumors about FCA selling out to Hyundai so that they could get the Jeep and Ram brands and kill everything else?

Originally Posted by itguy08
Mopar - decades of crap products, 2 bailouts from the US Taxpayer and bottom of the barrel reliability on the surveys that track that sort of thing for nearly as long.
Hyundai/Kia - crap products in the beginning but have been steadily increasing both quality and dependability over the years.

I'd never ever buy a Mopar but would consider a Huyndai/Kia.

i have to thank you,for your so called "bashing" post, as some call it.
it just won , for me, the group's pool.in this case, it's 13 prime rib roasts, which will be cut into approx. 1 1/4" steaks. the "prizes" are usually food, booze, or cigars, and are won by picking how many posts are written before the c/c posts. a win is just luck, but we have fun with the c/c's .(c/c is crier/complainer).

(the pools involve c/c's certain topics. with mopar topics, it's itguy. pop and antique used to be good, as they would c/c about their respective topics. when certain topics appear, the pools are automatic. before dark, the next pool on the subject will be set, ready for the next c/c post.)

one poster uses the terms "childish nonsense", and "other stupidity", relevant to the vehicle bashing topics.which, is true, and funny.

at any rate, these threads are hilarious, whether the "bashing" involves cars, package delivery service, fridges, etc.
again, itguy, thank you for your VERY predictable comments. i'll think of you when I'm eating my prime rib steak.the one bad thing is that I have to do the cooking. that's cool, as there is a 55" t.v. outside, near the q, so a few will be outside watching the ball games. 'gotta go, and prep the food, which will be arriving shortly. might be back here later, or not for a couple of days.

'gotta love bitog.

Originally Posted by BAJA_05
Just blows my mind all the irrational hatred towards Mopar on this site. Add the new luv for Hyundai and its even more disgusting.

Dale

Most Americans hate their own companies and have no pride or loyalty. Welcome to modern America. Disgusting indeed.

Like a lot of things on this board, one man's irrational hatred is another's disgusting love if there's more emphasis on POV and adjectives than the products. Hyundai endured a long period of "hate" even after they pulled it together to the point that you'd think that some members here still thought they made the Excel in 2012. The only thing funnier to me is people differentiating Kia as the notably superior sub-brand to Hyundai. As has been said, you might have to look more at the models involved and the not the brands for comparison.

Pontificating even beyond blanket statements about Chrysler or Hyundai/Kia ( or whomever ) while never owning one, having no interest in or knowledge of them, and being more concerned about the adjectives because you don't like a brand is not exactly a recipe for rational or informed thought.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Just blows my mind all the irrational hatred towards Mopar on this site. Add the new luv for Hyundai and its even more disgusting.

Dale

I don't see all the Hyundai love here and I've been here 14+ years. If I had to pick a Korean automaker to show favoritism to, it would be Kia over Hyundai.

Hyundai sales are good because of it's price-point, not the craftsmanship.
They are the same company, no? I thought Kia was like the....Scion of Hyundai. Some people will associate the 1985 Hyundai Pony with Hyundai, but not Kia. From what I understand, they offer all the bells and whistles of the Japanese brands at a lower price point. If you are an average person, are you going to take a used Honda over a brand new Hyundai with a good warranty? 2015-2016 v 2018-2019 interior + technology? Normies are wowed by touch screens and sleep well at night because of warranties.

Originally Posted by yeti
i have to thank you,for your so called "bashing" post, as some call it.
it just won , for me, the group's pool.in this case, it's 13 prime rib roasts, which will be cut into approx. 1 1/4" steaks. the "prizes" are usually food, booze, or cigars, and are won by picking how many posts are written before the c/c posts. a win is just luck, but we have fun with the c/c's .(c/c is crier/complainer).

(the pools involve c/c's certain topics. with mopar topics, it's itguy. pop and antique used to be good, as they would c/c about their respective topics. when certain topics appear, the pools are automatic. before dark, the next pool on the subject will be set, ready for the next c/c post.)

one poster uses the terms "childish nonsense", and "other stupidity", relevant to the vehicle bashing topics.which, is true, and funny.

at any rate, these threads are hilarious, whether the "bashing" involves cars, package delivery service, fridges, etc.
again, itguy, thank you for your VERY predictable comments. i'll think of you when I'm eating my prime rib steak.the one bad thing is that I have to do the cooking. that's cool, as there is a 55" t.v. outside, near the q, so a few will be outside watching the ball games. 'gotta go, and prep the food, which will be arriving shortly. might be back here later, or not for a couple of days.

'gotta love bitog.
We'll miss you dude, enjoy your cigars and ball games.

Dale
If you had the 66 Dodge Dart V8 I special ordered, you would be in the same group of MOPAR haters. Sorriest vehicle I ever owned(actually traded it in on a 67 Toyota Corona which had exceptional build quality for the time.

Originally Posted by Zee09
In 2000 I bought my mother a new Hyundai Elantra. She picked it out and it had a good warranty which was
important for her. I literally got beat to death by family for buying that car. ( they all worked for GM)

Literally?

Originally Posted by csandste
"They are the same company, no? I thought Kia was like the....Scion of Hyundai. "

Not so. Think Hyundai owns 30+% of Kia.

Also, is FCA an "American" company?

Hyundai does own a good chunk of Kia. Hyundai is a huge conglomerate as well with shipbuilding, real estate and many other ventures, even hospitals.

FCA is really Fiat with a American twist.

With the ever changing business climate , having loyalty to one company is pretty hard these days.

My 70 yer old parents bought a new 2017 Kia Sportage AWD 2.4. Great little buggy for them. No issues in the 1.5 years they have had it. Dealer has been good too. I would have never even considered a Kia until I test drove it with them.

Originally Posted by DevilsRule

Dale

Most Americans hate their own companies and have no pride or loyalty. Welcome to modern America. Disgusting indeed.

Mopar (FCA/Fiat) isn't any more American than Hyundai-both owned by overseas corporations, building cars in the USA. Now, maybe if I was Italian-American, I would have more in common with Mopar. I'm not the biggest Hyundai/Kia fan either-they still seem to become junky thrashing machines after 6-7 years of use around here.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Mopar has been on the downslide for years and the buyout into Fiat was promising but more of the same.

Actually, their interior quality, materials selection and fit and finish improved significantly under FIAT. We owned both a Daimler-era Charger (2006) and a FIAT-era Charger (2014 SRT-8) and the difference in the interior was night and day.

Their model lineup is really sparse and if not for the Jeep and Ram (why did they do away with Dodge?) divisions, they would be in worse shape.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say they did away with Dodge?

Current Dodge-branded products:
- Charger
- Challenger
- Durango
- Grand Caravan
- Journey

What they are missing is a small car, but I believe, as with Ford, pursuit of that segment has, for the time being, been abandoned due to low sales volume, as CUV's and SUV's are the big sellers presently and the Durango at least (not sure about the Journey) sells quite well, as does the Grand Cherokee, with which it shares a platform.

The next question is who will eventually buy the Fiat Mopar brand? Lots of rumors in the past but they have fizzled, likely after looking at the books.

Most likely would be an Indian or Chinese company, like what happened with Ford's PAG brands. If sold, it would likely be broken up for maximum profit with Jeep, RAM, Dodge and Chrysler all separate sales. Jeep likely being the highest value.

My wife and I have owned a few different brands of cars. I had a 2006 Hyundai Tucson and it was a great car. My wife currently drives a 2013 KIA Optima EX (2.4). It's been really good. GM is not on our list of cars to buy. I had a 2001 Dodge Dakota SLT King Cab. It was a lemon from day one. I traded it for a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 it was fair for 3 years until the doors started falling off. I traded that for the Tucson which, I had for 11 years. NO MORE MOPAR FOR ME!

Luckily, I didn't have your special ordered 66 Dart then, as I was more than satisfied with my special ordered Grand Spaulding '68 Dart 440. Nephew still rocks it, quite the reliable street/strip terror even today.

Whats a Hyundai?

Originally Posted by Yah-Tah-Hey
If you had the 66 Dodge Dart V8 I special ordered, you would be in the same group of MOPAR haters. Sorriest vehicle I ever owned(actually traded it in on a 67 Toyota Corona which had exceptional build quality for the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back