crankset incompatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought a new crankset yesterday for the old Rocky Mountain. Replaced the original Shimano 22-32-42 with same. The original was made in the UK, the replacement in Malaysia, and I guess the tooling is different. When I first installed the new drive side, the spacing was wrong so there was not enough clearance and the small (inner) chain ring contacted the bike frame. GRRR! I considered using a spacer, but instead transplanted the new chain rings onto the original body (Crank and spider? Chassis? Not sure of the correct terminology ...). Anyway, it all worked out OK.

Here are photos of new and old:

IMG_7498.JPG

IMG_7497.JPG

IMG_7500.JPG

IMG_7501.JPG

Apparently the new cranks require a longer bottom-bracket spindle (aka "axle" or shaft)? The instructions should specify the length needed.

http://forums.mtbr.com/families-riding-kids/something-little-different-1009891.html

35, This is a build I did a while back after my mom's bike got doused in salt water in Hurricane Sandy. It originally had a square taper bb and crankset but when I restored it I used a newer tech Shimano Deore crankset with external bearing bb. It's a threaded bb bike so it all worked great and Deore stuff can be had on the cheap. Lighter than the older stuff too.

Duh, i should have thought of that.
33.gif

When it's time to replace the bottom end/axle I'll do that! I'd like to have the new crank on the drive side, as the threads for the pedal can strip out eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back