The hatred for Mopar but the luv for Hyundai anymore???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just blows my mind all the irrational hatred towards Mopar on this site. Add the new luv for Hyundai and its even more disgusting.

Dale

Last edited:
I don't love or hate either one. But I'd never buy either of them. Both have too many inconsistencies in quality of engines and transmissions for me to get on board. I know that disappointed people are usually more vocal than satisfied ones, but that doesn't make their failures any less concerning to me.

There's some members with Mopar SUVs and CUVs here, but I have always thought their styling was bland and they had plasticy interiors.

They have some intriguing models (Challenger, Wrangler 6spd manual) I think they are OK. They are really gaudy and attention grabbing, and this board has a lot of older members.

Hyundai fanboyism is not particular to this board, my neighbor across the street has two identical models except different colours. Their popularity is exploding.
However, this board has a serious hard on right now for Subarus and Hyundais. Used to be Toyota and Honda but people on this board recognize that there isn't as much value with Toyota and Honda as in the past.

Just rented a Chrysler 300 with the 3.6L V6. Very comfortable and capable car. 29-30 MPG too. Not as fast or as lively as the Maxima, but absolutely a more pleasant car to live with. Bigger, heavier, much more comfortable, more capable, with that wonderful rear wheel drive feel (in other words, no torque steer) and a 8 speed transmission that is solidly in gear at any speed.

Sorry Hyundai, and Kia, but nothing you guys make comes close to the refined feel of the 300.

MOPAR isn't what it was in the 60s or 70s, that's for sure. They've just gotten weird, ergonomically, ride quality etc. The word "appliance" comes to mind....along with "not as reliable as other things costing the same". Exceptions: Challenger and Wrangler mentioned by maxdustington (and of course Charger).

The ex owned an '86 Hyundai Excel. After that experience I have a serious aversion. I might possibly be able to get over it ... IF the seats weren't too narrow and uncomfortable for me.

I can't see buying a high end Hyundai (Genesis) because....well...it's still a Hyundai and very expensive Having said that, I'd buy an Elantra or a Kona in a heartbeat....a lot of car for a little money.
Except for the 300....there's nothing Chrysler makes that interests me......…

PS: I also owned a 1986 Hyundai Excel....I still have a 2008 Elantra….they aren't even close.....the 2008 has been an excellent car.

I buy what I like. I have purchased over 50 personal cars in my life.
I really never had much loyalty to be honest. Bought way to many vehicles.
I look at each specific model and brand really isn't the major concern. Most companies make
good and bad. VW's are something I always wanted to buy but never pulled the trigger.
I have had concerns and the only dealerships were too far away and had bad reputations even in the
70's. Today the only dealer is still 35 miles away.

I am irritated by the childish nonsense I see about pickup trucks and nonsense like Found On The Road Dead
and the other stupidity that is rampant in that market.

In 2000 I bought my mother a new Hyundai Elantra. She picked it out and it had a good warranty which was
important for her. I literally got beat to death by family for buying that car. ( they all worked for GM)
Not one of them put forth any money and in the end the car ran for over 300k miles with very few repairs.
It was sold because I put her in a newer one.

I'd buy a new Mopar in a second if they had something I wanted.
Whatever works for you is all that matters.

Originally Posted by BAJA_05
Just blows my mind all the irrational hatred towards Mopar on this site. Add the new luv for Hyundai and its even more disgusting.

Dale

We have two Avengers and two Caravans in the fleet at work and they've been perfectly decent machines that haven't given any particular trouble.
These were remarkably inexpensive new so have been very good value.
As Kira noted, you have to look at specifics and not brand.
Family has had exactly one Chrysler product, a Volare with 318 and while it may have been a joke in most regards as compared to any current sedan, it served reliably for a number of years as a college car my sisters shared at OSU.

I also neither hate nor love either brand. Both have some good / bad models. Also, I don't think that either brand is consistent in quality across their lineup like some automakers. I do think that Hyundai has some serious value packed in, with an excellent warranty to boot.

I'm loving my two Jeeps. No problems with either one, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another when the time to replace them comes.

Mopar - decades of crap products, 2 bailouts from the US Taxpayer and bottom of the barrel reliability on the surveys that track that sort of thing for nearly as long.
Hyundai/Kia - crap products in the beginning but have been steadily increasing both quality and dependability over the years.

I'd never ever buy a Mopar but would consider a Huyndai/Kia.

Last edited:
Mopar has been on the downslide for years and the buyout into Fiat was promising but more of the same. Their model lineup is really sparse and if not for the Jeep and Ram (why did they do away with Dodge?) divisions, they would be in worse shape.

Hyundai-Kia started out as cheap alternatives to the Japanese brands but have really matured over the years. I see a ton of Kia Sportages in this neck of the woods as well as Fortes and Elantras.

The next question is who will eventually buy the Fiat Mopar brand? Lots of rumors in the past but they have fizzled, likely after looking at the books.

Add the new luv for Hyundai and its even more disgusting.

Dale

Why is love for Hyundai disgusting?

Dale

I don't see all the Hyundai love here and I've been here 14+ years. If I had to pick a Korean automaker to show favoritism to, it would be Kia over Hyundai.

Hyundai sales are good because of it's price-point, not the craftsmanship.

I love the Hyundai Genesis Coupes! I saw a bright red one that was absolutely gorgeous! The other day this hot girl rolled up next to me in a black 2.0 turbo while I was in my 300ZX and we started talking cars. One of the best looking sports cars in my opinion. I'd love to have one.

I love whatever car I drive. It just so happens when I needed a new car Hyundai had one for the price I was able to pay. My 2017 Elantra does everything I need. Easy to maintain. Excellent fuel economy. The warranty works in my favor.

My dad has had his 02' Dakota for 12 years now. Replaced power steering line and both rear spring shackles and bolts. 149k now and no issues for that 2wd truck. Rust is taking control though
frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back