Homemade Ramps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Homemade ramp?
31.gif

The heavy duty Rhino ramps aren't even that expensive... I love to DIY but something like that should be properly designed and manufactured by a company that's made billions of them!

I made my ramps out of wood and they are the perfect height and much safer and way way stronger than plastic or metal ramps.

There are several of us here that use wooden ramps. Just not hollow ramps put together with a nail gun. Screwed and glued solid wood ramps are all I ever used when servicing semis.

While it's fun to build stuff, no way. Hollow ramps? Nails? Heavy?

My back hurts just thinking of moving these things around. Those dollar store wheels would snap off real soon.

I paid like $25 for my Rhino Ramps. Wayyyy less than just the wood to build those ramps.

I have made and used wooden ramps in the past. Though mine were solid and well designed. My current Jeep is high enough that I don't need ramps at all.

Done correctly, and if you have the room to store them they'd be perfect, especially if a little extra height is desired.

I know of a way to make them better....go to Walmart and buy some Rhino Ramps. I love a good DIY solution when it's significantly cheaper and/or somehow improves upon what's readily available, but this does neither. Rhino Ramps are inexpensive, readily available, work well, are easy to use, and have been proven to be very durable.

I don't like how they look tall and narrow, like they could tip to the side rather easy.
I made some wood ramps in my teenage years, but started with long boards and nailed progressively shorter boards on top until i got the desired height.
They were solid wood and I used the widest lumber I could find for stability.

They looked similar to this
fN4uzu

Ramps 2.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Nick1994
While it's fun to build stuff, no way. Hollow ramps? Nails? Heavy?

And the Rhino ramps ain't hollow? They're a sold chunk of plastic? Didn't think so. And don't they fly forward as you try to drive up on them? I've used these home made ramps for 20 years made from 3 2x6's cut and stacked into 5 levels. Great when you want one side of the car higher than the other if a drain plug is at the side of the pan.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by cronk
I don't like how they look tall and narrow, like they could tip to the side rather easy.
I made some wood ramps in my teenage years, but started with long boards and nailed progressively shorter boards on top until i got the desired height.
They were solid wood and I used the widest lumber I could find for stability.

fN4uzu

My ramps are similar

some people have access to extra and scrap wood like builders so cost might be cheap for them. Going to throw that extra wood away anyways.

Pine-O-Ramp "glued and screwed" means:
1) Stacked wood
2) Non treated wood so Gorilla glue bonds
3) 3" high quality screws
4) Stored out of weather

In this picture I'm using on pea gravel … not my norm … but you'd never want to do that with plastic

No idea why it's flipped … did it same as last time …

A53B5A6F-2E58-4396-8C84-11D23898FB1F.jpeg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by cronk

[Linked Image]

The nerd in me observes that the little 45 degree wedges will do absolutely nothing, as the shape of the tire will pick up the edge of the next board anyway.

Unless you're driving Matchbox cars on 'em.
19.gif

Build 'em solidly and make sure there's a footprint by using 2X10's or larger.

My driveway has an uphill incline but also a lean to one side. I see my Rhino Ramps flexing trapezoidally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back