New 2018 Silverado Crew Cab LTZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by ls1mike
Good looking truck. What kind of trailer do you have? I would be curious to get your towing reaction.

I have actually towed my 5,500 pound-30 foot travel trailer with my previous truck-a 2012 GMC Sierra with the 5.3-all over the country, from the West Coast to the East Coast over a 7 month time frame.

The new truck has another 35 horsepower or so. The 5.3 is a great motor that will REV when needed. We have several mountain (I-80 & I-70) passes here Utah, Colorado and Wyoming that slows it down but it can handle them.

I have towed all over the Inter-mountain West.

Originally Posted by CKN
Good looking truck. What kind of trailer do you have? I would be curious to get your towing reaction.

I have actually towed my 5,500 pound-30 foot travel trailer with my previous truck-a 2012 GMC Sierra with the 5.3-all over the country, from the West Coast to the East Coast over a 7 month time frame.

The new truck has another 35 horsepower or so. The 5.3 is a great motor that will REV when needed. We have several mountain (I-80 & I-70) passes here Utah, Colorado and Wyoming that slows it down but it can handle them.

5,500 Dry? I have a 6.0 and it does fine with my 32 foot 7500ish loaded trailer. Was just wondering how the new half tons do.

Yep, a real beauty. Love the color.

I would have had to have the 6.2 myself, but you are perfectly correct that the new 5.3's are gutsier than ever

Originally Posted by CKN

5,500 Dry? I have a 6.0 and it does fine with my 32 foot 7500ish loaded trailer. Was just wondering how the new half tons do.

No-it's an Ultra Light. Fiberglass (Filon) over Aluminium studs. It's 5,500 pounds ready to go.

Last edited:
Oh yeah what hitch are you using?

I use an Equalizer. This new Silverado feels slightly higher. I may have to adjust it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CKN
Originally Posted by CKN

No-it's an Ultra Light. Fiberglass (Filon) over Aluminium studs. It's 5,500 pounds ready to go.

My Passport is an Ultra Light also. Who makes yours?
I had to look up how mine was constructed. It is 35 feet 10 inches over all.

Welded aluminum framed sidewalls
Seamless laminated gel-coated filon exterior walls
High density block foam insulation in sidewalls (R-7 insulation)
Laminated aluminum framed floor 2'' thick
One piece breathable Darco protective wrap
R-11 high density block floor insulation
Stamped galvanized 5'' thick crowned rafters
One piece seamless Alpha Superflex TPO roof
R-11 ceiling rolled fiberglass insulation

I weighed mine fully loaded for 5 days of camping it was just over 7100lbs.

I have the Equalizer 2. I love that hitch so easy to use and adjust.

Originally Posted by SteveSRT8

I would have had to have the 6.2 myself, but you are perfectly correct that the new 5.3's are gutsier than ever

In my area-the 2018's are very difficult to find with he mid-range rear end ratio. The 3.42. I really felt I had no need for the even larger V8-not to mention it's hard to find 2018's at all-much less with the 6.2. Remember-we are looking at the end of the model year-and more than one dealer said they cannot order any more 2018s.

I would have had more to choose from with a 3.08 rear end-but that's very poor for towing performance.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CKN

In my area-the 2018's are very difficult to find with he mid-range rear end ratio. The 3.42. I really felt I had no need for the even larger V8-not to mention it's hard to find 2018's at all-much less with the 6.2. Remember-we are looking at the end of the model year-and more than one dealer said they cannot order any more 2018s.

I would have had more to choose from with a 3.08 rear end-but that's very poor for towing performance.

I don't blame you for getting a 2018, I am not sure about the 2019 it is not good looking.
Half ton only has the 3.08 or 3.42?

My Passport is an Ultra Light also. Who makes yours?
I had to look up how mine was constructed. It is 35 feet 10 inches over all.

Welded aluminum framed sidewalls
Seamless laminated gel-coated filon exterior walls
High density block foam insulation in sidewalls (R-7 insulation)
Laminated aluminum framed floor 2'' thick
One piece breathable Darco protective wrap
R-11 high density block floor insulation
Stamped galvanized 5'' thick crowned rafters
One piece seamless Alpha Superflex TPO roof
R-11 ceiling rolled fiberglass insulation

I weighed mine fully loaded for 5 days of camping it was just over 7100lbs.

I have the Equalizer 2. I love that hitch so easy to use and adjust. [/quote]

IT's an Eclipse Milan. It's a manufacturer located in Riverside, California. I bought it and towed it around the country. NOT A SINGLE ISSUE. Not even a flat tire.

Originally Posted by CKN

I don't blame you for getting a 2018, I am not sure about the 2019 it is not good looking.
Half ton only has the 3.08 or 3.42?

There is one more ratio-with the max tow pkg. (3.9ish?) The 3.42 is rated at 9,100pounds. The "Max Tow" at 12,000 pounds. AS with the 5.3 motor-the 3.42 is the best compromise between everyday performance and towing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CKN
There is one more ratio-with the max tow pkg. (3.9ish?) The 3.42 is rated at 9,100pounds. The "Max Tow" at 12,000 pounds. AS with the 5.3 motor-the 3.42 is the best compromise between everyday performance and towing.

Make sense. I don't daily drive mine, but for a driver that is just about perfect.

The 5.3 with NHT (max towing) gets 3.73 gears, and 6.2 NHT gets 3.42 gears. I just got into a used GMC 2016 6.2 max tow and i'm really impressed with the power and still gets me 16 driving around town somehow. Very quiet truck too, in GMC SLT trim. i'm sure the LTZ is the same.

Very nice truck OP!

I have been impressed by the 5.3 its performance has been very robust. It has been comparable with the 5.7 HEMI Ram.

Originally Posted by dave1251

I have been impressed by the 5.3 its performance has been very robust. It has been comparable with the 5.7 HEMI Ram.

Awesome, and I'm glad it is impressive for you. I am amazed at modern engines and their output these days.

My 14 RAM has 3.91 gears and 395 hp/410 torque and is in no way comparable to the lil 5.3 IMO, but that's just me. That Hemi just putts along and never seems to be revving at all. Just did a trip to north FL and back averaged almost 20 mpg at good speeds and a little hard running with my BIL in his new Chevy. And I have yet to put anything but cheapo 87 octane in it!

MPG is equal. I had 3.55 gears in the Big Horn plus I used mostly 89 Octane. The Chevy is a Z71 so it is quite a bit heavier but even the wife loves the Silverado its a win-win in my book.

Originally Posted by dave1251
MPG is equal. I had 3.55 gears in the Big Horn plus I used mostly 89 Octane. The Chevy is a Z71 so it is quite a bit heavier but even the wife loves the Silverado its a win-win in my book.

Absolutely agreed. One of the only reasons I ever sold my 05 Silverado was that my Wife had surgery and couldn't use it for her work. otherwise I'd probably still have it!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back