Can Oil Demand Really Peak Within 5 Years?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by bbhero
Originally Posted by MolaKule
Originally Posted by honeeagle
we should drop the term 'fossil fuel'.
I remember a quote from the texas oil man when he arrived in saudi early '50s ,from the steps of the aircraft he said drill there and there and there -pointing at bulges in the landscape.He is the same guy who said 'dead dinosaurs juice dont explain all this crude' add the appropiate accent. :)

You are right. We should use the general term, "Earth-Sourced Hydrocarbon Fuels."

^^°°°
That makes sense.

That's all code for "it just got here a few thousand years ago, and there's enough to get us to where we need to go"...even less of a theory than the theories that are being (not very successfully) shot down here.

Originally Posted by honeeagle
we should drop the term 'fossil fuel'.
I remember a quote from the texas oil man when he arrived in saudi early '50s ,from the steps of the aircraft he said drill there and there and there -pointing at bulges in the landscape.He is the same guy who said 'dead dinosaurs juice dont explain all this crude' add the appropiate accent. :)

As it's a quote, do you remember the name of the texas oil man that the quote was attributed to ?

Quotes usually carry with them the identity and context of the person quoted.

Or the direct quote, on how the bulges that he pointed to from the steps of the aircraft (sand dunes ???) related to the conditions 2km underneath them, under a layer of capping rock ?

ya sorry- but it was a famous guy ,the first oil /geoligist to arrive after the war, he was tasked with placing oil wells and could tell from the landscape before he set foot on saudi soil.
anecdotal for sure, the bulges could be 'lore' because of the pressure of saudi deposits.I will do a googly look see and try for a name ,but it was years ago.

J.W.'soak' Hoover. I think
a wiki entry mentions - in 1932 american geologists standing near the gulf could look out and see bulges on the horizon- thats what the quote may have grown from.

Originally Posted by bbhero
Originally Posted by billt460
This is all nonsense. You have to remember the bulk of this foolishness is coming from liberal, "green thinking" idiots. The bulk of which possess the common sense of a wet log. These people are totally against any and all forms of fossil fuels, along with the corporations who produce them and take them to market. Proof of that is their total resistance to building the Keystone Pipeline. It fits in with their whole, "man is bad" narrative. They hate coal, along with all gasoline and diesel burning cars and trucks. This regardless of how clean or efficient they are. (Remember Hillary's idiotic rant claiming, "We're going to put a lot of coal companies out of business!") How did that work out for her?

They even hate Natural Gas, one of the cleanest burning, and most abundant fossil fuels there is. They drone on about, "renewable energy". Solar, wind, etc. Electric cars are what they are. Expensive and impractical toys for most all but a very few consumers who own a car. Look at Tesla. They have never turned a dime in profit, and as a result they have nowhere left to go but down.

Hydrogen powered vehicles are an expensive pipe dream that are no closer to affordable mass production and sales now, than they were 25 years ago. Hydrogen takes more energy to produce than it delivers. Ethanol continues to be a non stop joke. But none the less it is constantly being pushed by the "greenies". Who think burning our food supply is a sure way to prosperity and a clean environment.

Perhaps some day there will be an alternate source of energy besides fossil fuels. But it's decades, if not over a century away. They act like it's here right now. And we're just not applying the right attitude to develop it. That nut case Jimmy Carter publically said in 1977 that we would run out of oil by 2011. We all saw how that panned out. Now Al Gore is telling anyone and everyone who will listen, the glaciers and polar ice caps are all going to melt and submerge the coastlines. And man is the cause of it all. They will continue with their whole, "the sky is falling" presentation, in hope of selling their narrative that just won't sell. At least to anyone with an ounce of common sense, who understands that businesses have to be profitable to exist. And you can't legislate technology.

I put all of this nonsense in the same category as those articles in Popular Science back in the 60's, that told me my car would fly in another 10 years. I'm still buying tires a half century later.

^^^^^

Epic post here
lol.gif

And I agree to a large degree as well.

Total agreement. And as you mentioned in your previous post, we have barely scratched the surface of oil exploration. A lot of oil fields are sitting, waiting for the right economics. It's not a lack of fossil fuels per se, it's the economic return in retrieving them.

With that said, I'm all for conservation. The main benefit should be reduced costs to the consumer.

Depends on the world economy really. Oil price has a lot to do with geo politics and world economy. There will be more people entering middle class wanting to buy a car, but also more urban population not wanting to own a car (ride sharing, public transit, telecommuting, online shopping, and possible future tech like drone delivery that eliminate going between different places). EV may not be a big part of the decline but sure would help eliminate some of the monopoly power oil has on our daily commute (again, more of a geopolitical than a technology reason).

We'll use less oil per capital but more people will start using oil as they enter middle class.

Coal is dead, no middle class nation wants to deal with the emission near their populations, and 3rd world would probably want to go straight into CCGT due to minimal capital cost.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back