Tracking down a vibration

Status
Not open for further replies.
2009 Impala. Replaced the driver's side wheel bearing as it was clearly trashed. The others seem fine, no play, but I'm aware that there can be vibration without easily detectable play.

The vibration from the bearing is gone, but there is still a lower volume droning and vibration.
The sound and vibration isn't severe, but noticeable at all speeds. It doesn't change during stops, acceleration or turns.
I'm trying to rule out components..

The tires are in good shape (Michelin Defenders, a little over a year old), properly balanced, and I had an alignment done a few months ago. Replaced the brakes a bit over a year ago with Akebono pads and Centric rotors.

Bearings: there is no discernable play at the wheels. Maybe I should attain a dial indicator to check for bearing play...but I'm not sure of the accuracy of this method.

CV joint/axle: The car has 130k miles, so this is high on my differential.
I've tried turning the wheel to the lock and driving slowly in a circle forward and reverse with the windows down, there is no noise.
The boots appear to be in great shape, though I need to inspect them more carefully.
Interestingly, there is a single muted pop when sitting in the driveway and turning the wheel left or right (I think it is slightly louder in one direction, but I don't recall which). Apparently there was a TSB regarding a frame connection causing this issue, but I suppose it could be the CV joint or another suspension part.

I'm considering replacing both axles, as the cost wouldn't be bad (kind of a big job though), and I assume they are well worn.

Brakes: the rotors/calipers/pads look fine, and my non-contact thermometer shows no discrepancy.
But there is another issue that raises suspicion.
They often operate smoothly, but intermittently vibrate substantially, especially at highway speeds. Feels like "warped rotor syndrome."
I wonder if the rotors are heating up, causing distortion.

The main vibration issue is continuous, so brakes seem to be low probability.
I will take a closer look at the rotors and pads anyway. I may install new front rotors just to rule them out since it is a fast, inexpensive job.

Tires: via cursory inspection, they appear to be wearing normally. I rotate them every 6 months.
I'm going to try to rule out the tires by rotating them to see if there is any change.

Other suspension parts: Visually they are fine.

Any suggestions or ideas?

Many thanks,
Bob

It is quite possibly inner CV joint vibration. There is the misconception that as long as the boot is in good condition the joint must be okay, this is 100% false.
The grease thins out and liquefies, at this point it is just hanging on to the walls of the boot and is no longer in the joint protecting it from wear.
Luckily OE CV axles for this car are reasonably priced at Rock Auto. Do not used remans or new Chinese, you will be doing the job over and over again.

Originally Posted by Loogie

The sound and vibration isn't severe, but noticeable at all speeds. It doesn't change during stops, acceleration or turns.
I'm trying to rule out components..

Interestingly, there is a single muted pop when sitting in the driveway and turning the wheel left or right (I think it is slightly louder in one direction, but I don't recall which).

I just noticed this. If its idling does it vibrate? If so its possible it has a bad front engine mount (pass side), look for oil around this mount area as its oil filled. A blown mount here will change the CV angle and can cause symptoms similar to a bad inner joint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back