Rough idle 09' Camry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good afternoon folks

I just replaced the 5 year old Interstate Battery in the 09' Camry in my sig. I now get a low idle and read a few things on google search about possibly cleaning IAC screen. Anyone else ever have this problem? I didnt notice this this morning also.

Just let it idle in park for 6 minutes. It should re-learn the idle by then. Happens in the Matrix every time the battery is disconnected too long.

Ok, never thought of that. Thanks Satin
smile.gif

Sure thing. Same thing happened when I cleaned the t-body. Just letting it idle in park reset it. But the first time I disconnected the battery years ago the idle was off. And driving it around didn't help. Just idle it in park for 4-6 mins.

Thanks bubba and satin. I will do that tomorrow since i am off for few appointments in early afternoon
smile.gif

My '04 Quest is exactly the opposite. It runs and idles great after the battery is disconnected, but once it has time to relearn, it gets all temperamental.

confused.gif

Clean the throttle body. Start car, turn off all electrical loads including a/c. Allow car to warm up to normal operating temp, then allow it to idle an additional 3 minutes. This should resolve the problem. Refer to Toyota Tech Tip # T-TT-0362-15.

BTW- doesn't your employer provide you with access to service information?

In my experience,your battery clamps are not making a solid connection to the battery posts.There is resistance somewhere.Corrosion....anything can cause this issue.Can cause stalling at idle.

Originally Posted by NHGUY
In my experience,your battery clamps are not making a solid connection to the battery posts.There is resistance somewhere.Corrosion....anything can cause this issue.Can cause stalling at idle.

There's no stalling

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Good afternoon folks

I just replaced the 5 year old Interstate Battery in the 09' Camry in my sig. I now get a low idle and read a few things on google search about possibly cleaning IAC screen. Anyone else ever have this problem? I didnt notice this this morning also.

My 98 Sienna had an issue with the IAC valve. Was fixed with some throttle body cleaner. Started cleaning it once a year alongside an oil change. Never had bad idling problems after that.

Make sure you change your PCV valve or replace it every few years as well.

Originally Posted by The Critic
Clean the throttle body. Start car, turn off all electrical loads including a/c. Allow car to warm up to normal operating temp, then allow it to idle an additional 3 minutes. This should resolve the problem. Refer to Toyota Tech Tip # T-TT-0362-15.

BTW- doesn't your employer provide you with access to service information?

Probably, as we had a Toyota tech stream for a time. Toyota, Mazda and Hyundai/Kia and Nissan we send to dealers for mechanical stuff that isn't major repair related I.e air bag light, security light etc

I did what satin silver and bubbatime recommended; car is back to normal. Thank You all

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JC1
Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Good afternoon folks

My 98 Sienna had an issue with the IAC valve. Was fixed with some throttle body cleaner. Started cleaning it once a year alongside an oil change. Never had bad idling problems after that.

Make sure you change your PCV valve or replace it every few years as well.

Thanks for the advice, I will do that
smile.gif
. The relearn worked courtesy of YouTube

Its common for Toyotas to do that. It means the ever changing calibration for things like a smooth idle strayed from the factory default, which was reset when you changed the battery. It will recover after 60 miles on its own, but like others said, there's a reason why it was so far off. Likely dirty throttle body, dirty MAF, spark plugs, dirty fuel injectors, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back