AA / AAA Batteries LEAKING

Status
Not open for further replies.
P.S.A.

The last couple years I've noticed more ALKALINE Batteries leaking.
These are AA and AAA batteries used in:
* TV Remote Controls
* Clocks
* Thermometers
* Flashlights
* Water Alarms
* Smoke Detectors
* Home Security System
* Temperature / Humidity Gauges
------------------------------------------------
Just this Week, I found (2) TV Remote Controls with leaking batteries.
These batteries were in use approx. 4 years.
So far I caught it in time and was able to clean and save the devise.

My solution was to switch to Lithium Batteries.
There a little more expensive but an Internet Search shows they do not leak.
They are NOT rechargeable, but I'm sure will last a long time.

Anybody have the same problem ?
What was your solution ?

If your still using Alkaline Batteries, check for leaking.

Helpful Hint: Write the Month & Year on your batteries.
I use a 'blank' Address Label and date that (easy to read).

I have a number of old remotes sitting in a box, most with no-name batteries in them. Surprisingly none have leaked and most have maintained their charge for quite some time.

The only leakage I've experienced in quite some time was a Duracell alkaline that ruptured and destroyed the battery tube of an LED flashlight. Go figure.

I've noticed the same thing over the last two years. I have a ridiculous amount of battery powered items in my house. Kids toys, tv remotes, and an unhealthy addiction to flashlights, I probably own like 70 flashlights.

The critical stuff gets made in USA lithium batteries.

The kids toys get the cheapest AA batteries I can find, either Amazon basics, or ACDelco, or the $2.99 pack of batteries from Harbor Freight. Amazingly, NONE of these ultra cheap batteries has ever leaked on me. Ive had about 10-15 Duracell batteries leak on me in the last 2-3 years. I no longer buy Duracell.

I do buy and keep Eneloop rechargeable batteries. These are the most hi-tech, up to date rechargeable batteries on the market. They are made in Japan, and are low discharge, so they are still good a year from now if you haven't charged them, unlike the old rechargeables of yesteryear. I have about 30 of them or more, and they work perfect and don't leak, and are good for 10 plus years. They save a lot of money over their lifetime.

https://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-BK...8-12-spons&keywords=eneloop&th=1

And yes, you should be dating your batteries, and checking them annually. I actually have a spreadsheet I use to do just that. I keep track of every battery in my household, when it was replaced, and when the rechargeables were last charged. At least put a reminder on your calendar to check the remote batteries every year. In my opinion, you should not have 4 year old batteries in your remotes, they are likely to leak at that age. The cheap dollar store batteries have never leaked on me, and they are like 15 cents a piece. You could certainly afford to replace your remote batteries for 30 cents a year, no?

Originally Posted by bubbatime
I do buy and keep Eneloop rechargeable batteries. These are the most hi-tech, up to date rechargeable batteries on the market. They are made in Japan, and are low discharge, so they are still good a year from now if you haven't charged them, unlike the old rechargeables of yesteryear
Good stuff.

And for those looking for a less expensive alternative:

http://a.co/d/b8gCJIp
http://a.co/d/4eDajwz

These are rebranded Eneloop and Eneloop Pro cells, made in Japan.

OP here,

This is interesting because, several of you have said your Duracell batteries were leaking.
The 'leaking' batteries I took out were also Duracell.
I'm not bad mouthing the Company, just say ….

Last edited:
I've noticed this as well plus it seems to me the batteries just don't last like they used to.

Dittos on those Japan made Eneloops. I have a set of 4 from around 15 years ago. They still hold a charge and are in good shape.

I've found Eveready Gold to be a good value alkaline, they last long and I haven't had one leak.

The Thunderbolts from Harbor Freight are junk (who would imagine!) I had one have a minor leak in a remote and I found a few that were dead in the package or died a day or two after being put into service.

Originally Posted by dishdude
I've found Eveready Gold to be a good value alkaline, they last long and I haven't had one leak.

For cheap alkalines, I usually use Rayovac - you can get a pack of 60 for $10 at HomeDepot when they go on sale sometimes. But if you discharge them completely and let them sit too long, they will eventually leak.

I do agree with the previous advice to not let batteries sit in your remotes 'forever', regardless what they are. Put a reminder on your calendar, and make it a habit to just replace all your remote batteries every 2 years or so.

Last edited:
Duracell and Kirkland (Costco) have a reputation for leaking. I cannot say I agree, I've been happy with both.
I too, use lots of Eneloops, they work great in clocks, remote weather stations, R/C gear, etc. Unfortunately, some remotes will trigger a low battery warning after only a few days.

Last edited:
Duracell has a policy of replacing the device damaged by leaking Duracell batteries. I've had 1 replacement flashlight from Duracell, and my BIL the same. Great company IMHO.

Originally Posted by 1000MPH
I too, use lots of Eneloops, they work great in clocks, remote weather stations, R/C gear, etc. Unfortunately, some remotes will trigger a low battery warning after only a few days.

BTW, the primary benefit of Eneloops (apart from the recharge ability) is ability to deliver high current, making them ideal for high drain applications such as R/C stuff, high powered flashlights, camera flashes, etc. That benefit is lost if you put them in very low current applications such as clocks and remotes.

RayoVac used to be a decent battery but they are now made by Energizer. Duracell's had a good reputation and I've used them but recently I had one start to leak around six months after start of use.

Panasonic has some good batteries but they are not sold everywhere.

Originally Posted by PimTac
RayoVac used to be a decent battery but they are now made by Energizer.
As long as they don't jack up their prices, maybe that's a good thing?

Radio Shack batteries never leaked....ahhh....Radio Shack,one of the lost American retailers.

I thought I was alone. Duracell in a pool remote. Changed yearly but they leaked before then. I hope Duracell reads this thread.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Originally Posted by 1000MPH

BTW, the primary benefit of Eneloops (apart from the recharge ability) is ability to deliver high current, making them ideal for high drain applications such as R/C stuff, high powered flashlights, camera flashes, etc. That benefit is lost if you put them in very low current applications such as clocks and remotes.

Oh well, 2 out of three ain't bad. For me, the benefit in clocks and remotes is their low self-discharge rate and they were a good price at Costco.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back