The AT&T maze

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's now Sept. and Rat&t is still unable to straighten out and correctly ID my ADSL June statement.

The old POTS went from $20 to $25 to $30-something and ADSL jumped from $20 promo-rate to $56/mo for 6Mb/s. Ratt thinks this rational. Their own CRD reps don't understand a 'bit' from a 'byte' and repeatedly inform me that 'pricing is uniform' and 'who you speak to makes no difference.' I get the impression this dept is now staffed with the same new hires I try and avoid.

After repeated calling looking for a better deal, I did manage to get about $75 shaved off the bill, so I paid the amount due. However in the next billing cycle, my new rate did not appear. Neither did all of the credits. I called back several times and finally was told the rest of the due credits were credited, however when I later checked the amount due on-line, the figures didn't jive.

I told the previous rep. I would pay the remaining balance when they got this sorted and I would allow the service to lapse if that is what it took. They cut the 'net off yet still unable to reconcile what i was told to pay vs. what I saw on-line.

Sierra them.

Life is just too short to continue to deal with a company that continues to do 'business' like this. Obviously Ratt is far more interested in putting their names on buildings and stadiums than fixing a simple statement.

I let the POT phone go as well.

Sierra them.

I've played 'the game' for decades now. The Tx PUC no longer regulates/assists customers with them, my emails to Tejas Ratt El Presidente go unanswered so I'm left with spending hours upon hours on my former phone, calling repeatedly to find someone who will (1) Give me a better deal and (2) actually follow through with updating the service and lowering the bill, even after two billing cycles.

This smells like consumer fraud and bait & switch. I wonder if some hot-shot lawyer is interested in a class action lawsuit for such practice. I'd also like to be compensated for both my time, blood pressure and "pain & suffering" for their painful 'customer service'.

Perhaps public exposure is what they need? No social media though. Perhaps local news? State rep? Federal reps? FCC? FTC? Where and with whom to start the music.I have everything written down: time, date, rep. name, call center, confirmation numbers, 'promised' lower rates, etc.

Rat&t are Ratts......

/rant

Last edited by a moderator:
They have the worst customer service ive ever dealt with. Its a game trying to deal with them on the phone. You will get switched to business sales, cellular service, basically transfered in a loop to every department but the one you need. It has to be on purpose. I dropped my land line because of this, and switched my cell company.

Everything Ratt touches goes to trash. My direct Tv genie system was pretty decent then they upgraded the software , and its terrible.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by sleddriver

The old POTS went from $20 to $25 to $30-something and ADSL jumped from $20 promo-rate to $56/mo for 6Mb/s.

You work for a teleco?

I dropped mt land line couple years back, $30+ for restricted service.
Dropped Uverse last year... they would not deal with me as a current customer.
Flat out told me to cancel everything and sign back up as a new customer.
I guess churn isn't an issue for them, just want to show new adds.
I dropped everything and signed up for a variable speed thing.
Typically 29 down 5 up. $40 a month promotional… supposed to go up soon, we will see what happens.

They tried to force me to DirecTv. That didn't work so then they tried DirectTv Now.

I still trying to stay ABC (anything but cable).

Originally Posted by sleddriver
The old POTS went from $20 to $25 to $30-something...

We moved our ATT POTS to a free (yes !) Google mobile.

1. Step into a physical ATT store, transferred landline to a ATT GoPhone Cell (number same, just becomes a Cell phone)
2. That same evening, registered number with Google and made a one-time payment of 40.00 to move number from ATT
3. Purchased an OBI200 box from Amazon (at the time, on sale for around 35)
4. Registered the Google Mobile with OBI and Google Voice.

Nothing changed in the functionality of the POTS service except that we now pay nothing monthly.
We have nationwide free faxing.
All incoming calls are digitized and routed to multiple phones (via email) with caller ID data and the message they spoke.
Any incoming call can be placed on a SPAM watch or BLOCKED permanently via Google rules.
All house handsets (Panasonic wireless) have pre-screen capability and all continue to work just like before.

I think the cable & fiber suppliers realize how cheap VOIP can be, so now they make it cheaper to have a bundle that includes home phone (VOIP of course) for around the same price as broadband & (cable) TV combined. Still waiting for Google Fiber or similar to come in with less expensive broadband-then they're all getting the boot. Seems unlikely to happen anytime soon.

I thought I recalled titling my post "The Rat&t Maze". That's indeed what it is.

"Work for a telco?" ???? Doesn't parse.

No FIOS, nor gargoyle fiber in my neighborhood....only cable 'net for alternative.

I don't trust gargoyle phone/email/search/etc. All browsers are prevented from running anything having to do with them + social media.

Anyone read Stevenson's latest speak that prices will necessarily rise?

Fiber now connects between switching office and neighborhood network hub however between there and house drops is ~ 50yr old 100-pair? copper. Therefore the POTS line is part VOIP, yet I'm not getting the price break.

What would be useful is both David's stone & sling-shot.

POTS is effectively gone. Do you have a cable provider for internet? We use a cell phones and hotspots for internet. You can get a VOIP line for $1.50/mo + 1c/min from a provider like voip.ms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back