UV protection for Lexan headlight lenses

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are several wipe-on-and-buff UV protectants that supposedly reduce yellowing of Lexan lenses. Which product has worked well for you? This product would be used on lenses that have not yet noticeably yellowed, meaning the factory coating is still reasonably intact.

Originally Posted by knerml
Lexan is a polycarbonate resin thermoplastic
It's one brand of polycarbonate.

Megs headlight protectant and Wolfgang Plastik Surface Sealant are just some of your options.

Originally Posted by carloz
Megs headlight protectant and Wolfgang Plastik Surface Sealant are just some of your options.

Based on your experience that product is superior to the other options?

I would think twice about the Megs Headlight Coating. I applied it last year and it protected the lights for about 10 months before starting to fog up again. Car sits outside in Ohio. Not impressed and will try the Sylvania coating next.

A very good detailer on here recommended C.Quartz DLUX available on autogeek.net. Can also be used on black trim.

Last edited:
After reading all the reviews I could find I conclude that every product ranks anywhere between lousy and terrific. Maybe protective laminate is a better option?

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
I would think twice about the Megs Headlight Coating. I applied it last year and it protected the lights for about 10 months before starting to fog up again. Car sits outside in Ohio. Not impressed and will try the Sylvania coating next.

A very good detailer on here recommended C.Quartz DLUX available on autogeek.net. Can also be used on black trim.

Doesn't it say on the package, the clear only lasts 1 year? And you need to reapply yearly? Is it not a permanent UV repair?

slomo

The best methods are either buy new housings or sand/rubbing compound/polish till clear and smooth then use automotive clear coat. None of these miracle wipe on's will last.

slomo

The lights are only two months old. Same age as the car. I am not looking for a fix, I am looking for a protectant.

I think your best option is to park in your garage as much as possible and pick shaded parking spots. Some of the clearest headlights on older cars here are driven by the elderly who park them in their garages. We may not have to deal with rust in the south, but the sun is brutal to paint, plastics, and rubber seals on cars.

If that's not possible, wax/seal them often and hope for the best. They're supposed to have their own UV coating when new.

Of course, new headlight lenses have factory UV coatings on the inside and on the outside. The outside coating will over time come off. That's why an additional layer of protection makes sense. My car is parked inside when possible, which is about 10 hours a day. I think I'll try McKee's 37 Headlight Protectant Spray. In the end it probably doesn't matter. My company will furnish me with a new vehicle in two years. I doubt the headlight lenses will suffer significant UV damage before then.

Originally Posted by BAW1967
I've heard 303 Aerospace protectant supposedly works great at protecting headlights from yellowing.

That will just all wash off with the first rain,and may contribute to dry rot. It'll be no different than using Armor All on them,same results.

My Santa Fe's never went yellow or hazy, just used a sealant/wax on them yearly from when it was new.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
What kind've car is this?

It's a sedan. Lincoln Continental MZ. How does that matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back