All weather car cover

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to be building my own red cedar car port but in the mean time I need a car cover for my Accord. I'm fed up with tree rats dropping bark they strip from my birch tree and their feces. So I would like some recommendations on all weather car covers to be able to take the Oklahoma winter wind any suggestions out there? What's the best way to keep it attached with out rubbing the paint? Other ideas?

Thank you

I don't think there's such a thing as an all weather car cover that both breathes and protects. When I had to keep my car covered through winter I'd use a quality California style car cover in Technalon or Duralon, and then put a tarp over that. The main cover came with loops on each side to run a locking cable through. That would also keep it down in the wind. When the weather was nice I'd remove the tarp to let the main cover breath or remove any condensation that may have formed. It took some time to keep up with it. Even with these covers being touted as water repellent, they leak through over time. And then you have to mop up any residual moisture between rain storms (or melting snow).

this all depends on how much you want to spend.

just peruse covercraft and coverking for the fabric options.
there is a general obvious tradeoff that the bigger heavier and bulkier fabric will protect more from physical ding damage.

as far as attachment if you buy the custom fit to your car it will fit well and have elastics on all the corners. there will be also an opt. security cable accessory that connects grommets under the belly of the car that you can lock.

The car cover that I got from Griot's works well. It's breathable. Stands up to weather. I put a single bungee cord under the middle of the car and even in strong wind, it doesn't flap or move - the combination of elastic corners, and a custom fit. It wasn't cheap, but I highly recommend it.

Fellow Oklahoman, let me tell you about car covers. The biggest problem you're going to have is the wind. On the truck below and before I built a carport for it, I had a cover. Dropped the big bucks and got a nice, breathable, UV resistant, custom fit, water resistant etc. etc. that I could fine. Here's what happened: the wind caused the cover to move around and that rubbed against the paint and marred it. Had to re-buff that heck out of it to get the shine back. It wasn't so much the cover itself but with the dust, as you know here in Oklahoma, that would get trapped in it between the paint and the cover, acted like 900 grit sandpaper. With our winds, and I don't care how much you strap the cover on, it's going to move around. I think that the cover being breathable, allowed dust to get in, but with the wind, that's going to happen regardless. It got to the point that I just took the cover off and hurried up to build the carport. Also, when those north fronts come in with ice, that cover became a solid sheet stuck on the truck. You can research all you want, but I'm giving you my experience. Honestly, if I'd have known what I know now, I never would have bought one. It would be fine inside a garage, but outside, I really doubt you will find what you're looking for when it comes to dealing with our weather.

If the wind is that serious in OK I'd surely tarp over the high quality car cover. And that tarp has to be big enough (20x30) to ensure you can anchor it with cinder blocks and stakes. If that tarp stays put then the cover should remain free of the wind's friction damage. You can put a couple old thick pillows between the layers (sitting on the hood-roof-trunk) to allow additional cushioning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back