New ATVs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by irv

Do the Renegades still have/use Visco-lock? That is the one thing that deterred me from getting one back in 05, there seemed to be too many issues concerning them like they would only engage if one could get the other wheel to spin. Not a great feature on a ATV, imo.

Glad to hear they have improved other things. I also remember them being quite pricey back then as well.

I purchased an 05 Yamaha Grizzly and although it didn't get a lot of miles on it before I sold it due to lack of use and everything else associated with that, it served me well and never caused me any grieve.

Yes, they still use the Visco-Lok auto-locking front diffs, which the Outlanders share. It is surprisingly capable in my experience.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL

I'm guessing our scenery is a bit different from yours though, LOL

Yeah, just a little....
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by irv

Do the Renegades still have/use Visco-lock? That is the one thing that deterred me from getting one back in 05, there seemed to be too many issues concerning them like they would only engage if one could get the other wheel to spin. Not a great feature on a ATV, imo.

Glad to hear they have improved other things. I also remember them being quite pricey back then as well.

I purchased an 05 Yamaha Grizzly and although it didn't get a lot of miles on it before I sold it due to lack of use and everything else associated with that, it served me well and never caused me any grieve.

Yes, they still use the Visco-Lok auto-locking front diffs, which the Outlanders share. It is surprisingly capable in my experience.

The new X3's just got push button lockers this year. Hopefully, they do the same for the Outlanders next year. If not, you can put aftermarket lockers on them.

kawie_guy: great scenery! How do you find the rocks affect tire life?

Thanks.
The rocks don't seem to be too bad on tire life, but the slickrock (sandstone) like in this pic below, is murder on tires. It's as rough as sandpaper. It has awesome traction though!
[Linked Image]

Love my 2018 Polaris Sportsman 850 XP Touring.
Only thing I recommend is go for the 1000.

Originally Posted by redhat
Thank you. The new Polaris models sure look nice. Maybe my perceived quality issues are just incorrect? Are Polaris reliable?

In looking up online reviews, many seem to sure mention the ride quality of the Polaris as being better than the other makes.

Originally Posted by redhat
Thank you. The new Polaris models sure look nice. Maybe my perceived quality issues are just incorrect? Are Polaris reliable?

In looking up online reviews, many seem to sure mention the ride quality of the Polaris as being better than the other makes.

Originally Posted by kawie_guy

Thanks.
The rocks don't seem to be too bad on tire life, but the slickrock (sandstone) like in this pic below, is murder on tires. It's as rough as sandpaper. It has awesome traction though!
[Linked Image]

Beautiful shot yet again! What kind of duration are your rides?

Originally Posted by kawie_guy

Thanks.
[Linked Image]

Beautiful shot yet again! What kind of duration are your rides?

Thank you.
I would say I average 50 miles per ride. But some trails I do are better measured in hours than miles. I've spent 8 hours to go 9 miles in Moab before. On the flip side, I've done 167 miles in one day last spring. Used a full tank plus 5 extra gallons of gas.
Out here, you can ride as far as you want. We have interconnecting trail systems that allow riders to ride an atv from border to border of our state.

Sounds like ours. We sometimes do some roads and smooth paths which rack up the kilometres, but generally it's the time not the mileage. Obviously we weren't flying in those snow pics I posted. Beautiful country you have there to explore, and love the idea of an end-to-end state wide trail system, that's a fantastic resource!
thumbsup2.gif

Sounds like ours. We sometimes do some roads and smooth paths which rack up the kilometres, but generally it's the time not the mileage. Obviously we weren't flying in those snow pics I posted. Beautiful country you have there to explore, and love the idea of an end-to-end state wide trail system, that's a fantastic resource!
thumbsup2.gif

Are there still numerous clubs out there, overkill? I know back when I was atving, there was talk of doing something similar with the trail system in Ontario but due to the amount of clubs and their unwillingness to join or not be the big club themselves, nothing ever came of it.

In order to succeed they needed to be more like the OFSC but it's been years since I have been involved. Is the EOTA still around? I know they were the ones who maintained the trails down near our trailer in Marmora. Also the Haliburton club comes to mind and I know there were quite a few others out there as well.

Originally Posted by irv
thumbsup2.gif

Are there still numerous clubs out there, overkill? I know back when I was atving, there was talk of doing something similar with the trail system in Ontario but due to the amount of clubs and their unwillingness to join or not be the big club themselves, nothing ever came of it.

In order to succeed they needed to be more like the OFSC but it's been years since I have been involved. Is the EOTA still around? I know they were the ones who maintained the trails down near our trailer in Marmora. Also the Haliburton club comes to mind and I know there were quite a few others out there as well.

Honestly, I have no idea. I ride with friends, mostly hunting camp stuff and farm land, so we don't interact with any clubs
21.gif

We have been riding Polaris ATVs for at least 25 years now. Can't say we have ever had any lemons. They have always been dependable machines and we ride some pretty rough terrain.

I have a 2014 Honda Rancher 4x4 which has been a great ATV with no issues. My fiancee has a 2005 Honda Rancher 400 AT that has been rode hard and wrecked twice and it's not had any issues either. Her 16 year old son has a 2005 Honda TRX 250 EX that has been beat on and the engine is bullet proof. It did need a new clutch recently though.

Her 23 year old has a 2015 Polaris 900 Razr and has had a lot of things go wrong with it but he is pretty rough on it. He was rough on her 2005 Rancher too but it's survived better than his Razr has.

I got this Arctic Cat VLX 700 a few months ago. At right around $6,000 for a 700 4x4 ATV, I think this is probably the best value out there right now. This was actually a leftover 2017 model that the dealer had marked down to $4999. I've put this thing through its paces and gone through more challenging terrain than the average ATV owner ever does, and I love this machine so far.

20180714_144504.jpg

Those Arctic Cats are great machines also! Find a Textron dealer since they recently bought AC.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Onetor
I'm waiting for the three wheel version to return! lol

I hear you, but they have been legally banned as far as I know. You can still make your own using a dirt bike front end.

I have a Can Am Outlander 800 EFI Max XT. Big 2-seater with extended wheelbase. I'm in love. Has way more than enough balls for whatever you might encounter. Hasn't given me any issues, but it came to me already modded with a bunch of heavy duty parts. We see mostly mud here in FL, and it has proven to be perfect for that. With straight mud, it is all about horsepower. Rides like a dream. Girlfriend has no complaints about the ride or anything for that matter. Sometimes I use it to move my boat on the trailer around.

The suspension is a work of some serious science. I've done a lot of things that made me think I was going to flip over or roll, only to find that it was not even close to its limit. Seems impossible to really upset it.

It's ugly, but only because PO covered it in ugly plasti-dip. I'm currently working on replacing the body panels.

Did a similar analysis this exact time last year...came to the conclusion that the Can-Am Outlander was the bike for me. It has lived a good hard first year of life, and I love it! I would buy it again in a heartbeat if faced with the decision again today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back