Is Lawn-boy Duraforce engine reliable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read a thread here that someone said the Lawn-boy 6.5 HP Duraforce engines were prone to have problems with dirt getting by their filters and eating up the engine.
shocked.gif
I hadn't heard anything about that before and was wondering if it were true and if anyone had any experiance with it and how to prevent it.
confused.gif

From what I understand, all Lawn Boy engines are pretty reliable. We had one in the early '90s. It was a pre-Duraforce engine (4 or 4.5 hp, can't quite remember). I didn't care for the offset wheel deck or the 2-stroke engine design, but I'll say it was very reliable.

In general, dirt in a 2-stroke engine isn't good...moreso in them than in 4-strokes. For sure, you don't want dirt in ANY internal combustion engine, but with a 2-stroke engine, that air/fuel mixture enters the engine right in the crankcase, where the crank bearings and journal are/is. (Then it travels up above the piston, through a transfer port, to be ignited.) It's for this reason that I understand a 2-stroke is especially prone to dirt damage. It's bad enough for dirt to get by the filter on a 4-stroke, and potentially score the wall or mess up a valve, but the A/F mixture never reaches the crank area (except for any blowby). The 2-stoke has this added "vulnerability", and that's probably why they say to be careful with the air filter, and make sure it's sealing correctly.

I haven't heard of any specific issues with poor sealing. I have heard (but not experienced) that the OE Honda filter on the GCV160/190 engines don't seal well, and that an aftermarket replacement filter will seal better. I haven't had problems with my OE filter, so I can't say for sure. Perhaps a third party filter for the Duraforce would alleviate the poor seal issue, if there is one?

As an aside, is there a way to add a foam layer to the Lawn Boy filter box, to make it a "2 stage" filter? My Honda GXV140 commerical engine has that -- a foam "pre filter" and then a conventional paper pleated filter with rubber or urethane foam gasket material.

I have never had this problem, and my foam filter is a very tight fit. If cleaned and oiled properly I cannot see where this dirt ingestion is coming from. I notice no dirt or dust after the filter or even on the edges of the filter fit when I service mine. I think the 6.5 Susuki is a nice running and powerful little engine, and I expect years of service.

OIl the filter with foam filter oil and dont worry about it. The Duraforce engines are very reliable once set up right.
Some came from the factory set to lean and need to be adjusted by replacing the high speed jet or drilling it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back