Amsoil HydrostaticTransmisson Oil 20w-50 VOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friend sent his Amsoil hydrostatic transmission oil 20w-50 for voa (Blackstone Labs).
I asked him about the Zn & P ppm levels.
They were the following:

Zn = 1351 ppm
P = 1074 ppm

Definitely not API SN maybe old school API SG level

At that level is close to the maximum useful limit of ZDDP. Any more ZDDP increases wear. What is this oil supposed to be used for?

Originally Posted by dave1251
At that level is close to the maximum useful limit of ZDDP. Any more ZDDP increases wear. What is this oil supposed to be used for?

Riding lawn Mower or Zero Turn Transmission!

Originally Posted by Brian123

Correct used for Hydrogear Transmissions on ztrs.

Originally Posted by Patrick0525
Originally Posted by Brian123

Correct used for Hydrogear Transmissions on ztrs.

Should have said Hydro Gear Transmission, probably just as important as the oil is to keep the trans and cooling fins clear of debris. I have shot an infrared gun at my hydro-gear after mowing and the highest temp I have gotten is 150 degres fahrenheit.

I posted a VOA of the product over a year ago runs absolutely fabulous in my Scag ZTR Hydro Gear 2800

Originally Posted by dave123
I posted a VOA of the product over a year ago runs absolutely fabulous in my Scag ZTR Hydro Gear 2800

@dave123 Can u reposts or supply the BITOG link?
Thanks

Better base oil for higher temperature resistance and high ZDDP are supposed to help hydros run more smoothly. Still learning about them as I recently put Castrol 5W50 in but next change will probably find the Amsoil. Much cheaper than the transmission and mine runs very hot on the hills.

It is amazing stuff. My whine decreased a lot after 3 hours of mowing.

VOA Amsoil 20w50 hydrostatic
All other numbers 0
Moly 3
Potassium 3
Boron 92
Silicon 10
Sodium 1
Calcium 3528
Magnesium 11
Phosphorus 1074
Zinc 1351
Barium 0

SUS Viscosity @ 210F 93.2
CST Viscosity @ 100C 18.75
Flashpoint in F 505

Originally Posted by Gebo
It is amazing stuff. My whine decreased a lot after 3 hours of mowing.

I want to try it but @$12/qt it is too expensive for my budget. If I was doing commercial work definitely a YES, but being residential @30hrs/year it is difficult to justify the costs. Instead, I am going with NAPA sale 15W-50 synthetic $3/qt and adding Redline zddp to raise the Zn/P to 1200/1100 ppm. (Redline zddp 18g to 24g per quart). I added 18g

Amsoil 4qts =$48
NAPA + Redline zddp 4qts =$16 (1/3 the costs)

The kids need school shoes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back