Nissan 2.7 Tdi

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have problem keep coming with thermostat ( cartridge type) on this engine. Truck is relatively recent buy (3 months ago) and I went through 3 thermostats by now. After 1k they all stuck closed, there's no deposits or mechanical damage whatsoever.

After buying I've changed the visco/pump assembly at the same time with coolant ( blue type). Since then they keep falling- last two operated mostly with water as I didn't want to bother with coolant as matter keeps coming back.

Thermostats were non OEM .
Now I'm thinking ordering Gates TS and red coolant. There's two types: 82*c and 89*c. Both are acceptable by the TS manufacturer. Any ideas what to use and what to look at?

Last edited:
TD27 has a cast iron head and block, most here seem to run rusty water...the TD27 is the most rugged of all the Japanese small diesels. Here they seem to be stuck open, or are removed...they run pretty cool. Hard to cook, and will often do a piston before blowing a headgasket.

Gates thermostat has arrived, I'm not completely happy but none of the two local Nissan dealers had one in stock, and I don't have time to wait until Monday. Gates comes with warranty and to swap it is 10min job so will have to do.

I plan to flush the system with tap water to clean some dirt. Arexons red antifreeze ( commercial type ) I'll use for fill-up. Hope it will work.

Originally Posted by chrisri
Gates thermostat has arrived, I'm not completely happy but none of the two local Nissan dealers had one in stock, and I don't have time to wait until Monday. Gates comes with warranty and to swap it is 10min job so will have to do.

I plan to flush the system with tap water to clean some dirt. Arexons red antifreeze ( commercial type ) I'll use for fill-up. Hope it will work.

Makes sense, but start planning now for the next failure! Go to the dealer and buy an OEM thermo so you'll be ready for when this one fails.

I've changed the thermo and coolant (OAT) after good flush. Works fine now.

Mechanic (friend) mounted previous thermostats wrong, I believe. There's a round rubber gasket with slot that goes into thermostat upper dish plate and that gasket keeps it in place inside housing. He just used silicone to seal the cover with deck and without the gasket thermo had some play inside.

Nissan 27tdi is a great engine but it isn't a refined one for sure. Vibrations are pretty strong. It could be that thermostats were damaged from not sitting in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back