Pennz Plat HM 5W-20; 5K miles in '12 Charger Pursuit w/ 5.7L Hemi

Status
Not open for further replies.
The SILICON number seems out of place, seeing as I have been running a K&N air filter...oh well, I probably just got a bad (good?) one
smirk.gif

1st UOA for the Bacon Hauler

12 CHARGER-180825.jpg

K&N bashing is a bit much on this site.
Nice UOA as the oil stayed in-grade and wear metals are low. Any idea where the copper is coming from?

Originally Posted by wemay
K&N bashing is a bit much on this site.
Nice UOA as the oil stayed in-grade and wear metals are low. Any idea where the copper is coming from?

Not really. I got the car a few months back with 109K miles already on it (from service as local PD squad), and while I did luck out and find some entries on the CarFax service history, I cannot be certain just yet what kind of things are lurking inside the engine waiting to break or leak out. That's why I started with the UOAs, hoping to get a better picture of the engine's guts' health over time.

Originally Posted by crainholio
What compelled the camshaft change?

There isn't much info in the car fax service entry, all I know is the camshaft (and most likely lifters too) was replaced by a dodge dealerships service dept when the car was at about 90K miles.

Based on what I know about these Hemis and the MDS systems, I'm guessing one of the MDS lifters chewed up a cam lobe, and they all then needed to be replaced.

If their cam manufacturing process involves carburizing as GM's does/did, the copper could just be leachate from the new camshaft. If so, it will gradually trend down over time.

engines with wear from higher miles are better protected with a xxW-30 oil, the xx-20 oils are minimally ok when new + are for mpg's NOT longevity IMO!!!

I know my Hemi in my 2014 Jeep GC has an oil cooler and this being squad car I would assume it has one too. This would explain the high copper. All is well
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by benjy
engines with wear from higher miles are better protected with a xxW-30 oil, the xx-20 oils are minimally ok when new + are for mpg's NOT longevity IMO!!!

If it were any other engine in the same scenario I would be running a 10w-30, but there's enough chatter about the MDS in these engines acting up if a xW-20 isn't used that I figure I better cover my bases and run it just in case there's some truth to the scuttlebutt.

Nice! My UOAs also validate my AFE air filter. There's never ending false rumors in regards to those things letting dirt in

Originally Posted by Vigg
I know my Hemi in my 2014 Jeep GC has an oil cooler and this being squad car I would assume it has one too. This would explain the high copper. All is well
thumbsup2.gif

It does indeed have an oil cooler, and as a matter of fact I took a piece of plastic off my tackle box the other day and zip tied it to that oil cooler's inflow line to keep it from rubbing a hole in itself up against the edge of the oil pan.

Originally Posted by fusseli
Nice! My UOAs also validate my AFE air filter. There's never ending false rumors in regards to those things letting dirt in

I've never been a proponent (or opponent) of the aftermarket oiled drop in air filters, but I have read lots of posts and articles that take the "don't use" position on them, so I have always been leary about trying one.

But then it had to replace the regular paper element filter that came in it, and I was pretty shocked at how expensive they were locally. I was really not wanting to pay close to $40 for a regular one, just on principle alone. That's when I noticed the K&N oil one above it for only $10 more. I figured what the heck, if I was gonna pay half a C-Note for an air filter, I might as well get one I could do some science with.

And while I didn't actually do the science on this one, I did pay the folks that did it, and I will continue to pay them to do more science each time I change the oil. So we'll see if it continues to perform like an ordinary filter. I'd be just as happy if it did honestly...

FWIW I put 215,000 miles on an F-150 2005 Ford 5.4 and it had a K&N filter on it. I always kept it real clean and the truck didn't use a drop of oil when I sold it. That charger sounds like a fun powerful car for not a ton of money. Good to hear the analysis was good.

Originally Posted by The_Nuke
Originally Posted by benjy

If it were any other engine in the same scenario I would be running a 10w-30, but there's enough chatter about the MDS in these engines acting up if a xW-20 isn't used that I figure I better cover my bases and run it just in case there's some truth to the scuttlebutt.

That is some bogus bunk. MDS is far from that sensitive if it was different 20 grades from different blenders would cause the system to malfunction.

At one time not too long ago, Chrysler recommended up to 10w30 for the police 5.7 at this link
https://www.fleet.chrysler.com/v7fleet/StaticFiles/files/Police_Maintenance_Overview_Book.pdf
Unfortunately the link is dead now, for whatever reason.

Nice numbers.
I like my K&N on my 5.7 Hemi Magnum just fine as well, in spite of the "no way, better send it back and demand a re-test" response
when I posted a similar result here. The 5.7 seems to be easy on oil. The 7 qt capacity probably helps quite a bit.

I would be mindful of the hours on the engine vs miles. These vehicles sit and idle a lot. Especially during the summer 8 to 10 hours a day. They are holding up much better than the Impalas or Crown Victorias.

Find out the unit number and go to Motor Pool/Fleet Maintenance or whatever it's called for the respective city. Being a govt vehicles there are usually very detailed records, per codes and for audits.

Some unit numbers are written on the inside of the fuel door. If not they can do a VIN search and get determine the unit number etc.

If you are really curios and OCD like us! City units take more abuse than State or County.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back