Anyone use electric fence to keep dogs out of yard

Neighbor lady has five dogs. Although not mean they are a nuisance and keep coming on our property and barking and chasing or vehicles etc.

Any one have success with an electric fence?

Thanks a ton!

It keeps our dogs in the pasture, but it is primarily a psychological barrier. Our young dog will slip under if she doesn't get zapped hard in a spot, and she will go through there again.
Put some bacon grease on a spot when you first put it up, as you want the first touch to be a memorable one. The charger only hits once per second and if the dogs learn they can slip under fast without a good hit, that's what they'll do.
Get a decent charger too, so it will work when its dry out, or kill off weeds and grass on it.
I don't know if you can get away with 1 strand, maybe with the grease trick?

In bit different scenario, we used electric fence in our pastures since we intensively grazed them. While the intent was to keep the cows in, it also kept our dogs out. It seems like it would work in theory, and I'm assuming you live in the country so liability is not as big of a concern.

Wire placement will be key. You'll want one wire low enough they can't slip under.

Edit: We also had a good charger. It would throw you through the air if you touched it. Don't cheap out on the charger.

Last edited:
Depends how you plan on setting it up. If they only come in on one side of your yard, an electric fence about 6-10" off the ground might work. Unless you plan on surrounding your entire property with fence including your driveway, it still might not keep them out.

Honestly this is something you need to discuss with this neighbor, and if she does nothing speak with animal control about it. This is for both your sanity and the safety of the animals. There was a guy who walked a poodle in my neighborhood with no leash. It would run through yards, across the street, etc. I almost hit it several times because it would chase me as I drove by them. I finally had a talk with the owner one day about how close it has come to getting accidentally run over, and now he has it on one of those extendable leashes.

Sounds like the neighbor is the one that should be putting up the fence, not you! Have a talk with them first and if they don't do anything, it is their problem if 1 gets run over or something happens.

my favorite is when the neighbors dog leaves land mines you step in while mowing.

/sarcasm.

I also got charged by a neighbors dog while I was 50ft in my own yard.. sprained my knee.

was a 85lb black lab.

Next time It charged me it ran into my shovel and not my knee.

It also chased a motorcycle in the street(first time it ever went in front of the house) and got cited.. so the neighbor keeps a MUCH closer eye on the dog now.

Love the dog but its much to aggressive.. I didnt get bit just ran into my knee and took me out.

We use electric fence to keep ours in. They are enclosed in about 3-4 acres of it. We use a hot wire and a grounded wire right above and below it.

If they (try) slip through they touch both the hot and grounded wired. This works good when the soil drys out in the summer. Its been 10 yrs and nothing has slipped through.

Lately we have been tearing it down and replacing with three foot livestock wire with a hot wire above it so they don't climb over. Mostly to keep other dogs and coyotes out.

It is a constant maintenance issue keeping the grass weed-wacked or round-up under the wires. Which I'm going to do soon.

Five dogs is really a lot. In our region, the crime rate has increased, so I also thought about putting an electric fence. I have a few questions to people who use an electric fence. Firstly, how to choose the right electric fence, because I know that this is a closed-loop electrical system and if voltage is lost in one section, the fence willn't work completely. Or I'm wrong? My friend told me that it's necessary to buy a battery for electric fence, he sent me an article https://bestyardproducts.com/best-electric-fence-chargers/ where different batteries are described in detail. I understand that if the house is cut off electricity, then such a battery is necessary. Or am I again wrong? What voltage is allowed in the electric fence? I don't want to hurt anyone.

The dog has to wear a collar for those dog fences to work, no?

Are you talking about an actual electric fence, where you touch it and you get shocked? Sounds like a great way for someone to sue you for everything you have.

Originally Posted by Yah-Tah-Hey
I don't believe I have ever seen an electric fence.

[Linked Image]

My brother also installed an electric fence, and he told me that it is mostly a psychological barrier for the dogs and all the other animals, just like IndyIan said. I am just thinking about doing that, as we did not have any neighbors untill march this year, and they have 4 dogs and a couple of cats. One of those dogs is really kind, while the others are kind of crazy. I mean, they destroyed my lawn! After that I actually decided to actually call for the services of https://itsartificialgrass.com/ and install some artificial grass.

The dog has to wear a collar for those dog fences to work, no?

Are you talking about an actual electric fence, where you touch it and you get shocked? Sounds like a great way for someone to sue you for everything you have.
You're thinking of a “wireless” fence, which yes the dog must have a collar on for it to work. Some you bury a wire in the ground for the perimeter, others are truly wireless and have a base station that more or less puts a circle around your house.

As for straight up electric fences, that’s going to vary state by state it seems…. From a very quick look online, you seem to need a good reason for it like livestock, to keep animals out of a garden etc or your land designated agricultural.

Back